What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

Ditto! @daren_p has got me thinking about upgrading my power setup. Thanks for the photos. I’m about to audition their power distribution.

I am experimenting with just the connectors - Schucko and IEC - not the cables.

1 Like

Cat 6a is shielded, Cat 6 isn’t shielded.

Not necessarily, you can buy it shielded or unshielded.

3 Likes

Good plan :+1:

I know, but that’s irrelevant. Cat6a is also more expensive and more difficult to work with. I’m not installing in an environment that needs shielded ethernet cable. For that matter Cat5e would be just as effective.

Edit: I’m not so sure my network hardware and Naim hardware is even compatible with shielded ethernet cables (which have to be grounded).

1 Like

Yes, it’s what I used through the house a few years back now.

Pair of Intro 2’s for a ridiculously Small amount.

18 Likes

From Stockton On Tees by the looks of it…

4 Likes

Yes picked them up Monday. Only a few miles away from where I live👍

2 Likes

Ordered. Just because I’m curious @Igel :slight_smile: Integral 32GB USB 2.0 for my NDS. With Qobuz sublime one gets 60% off on downloaded hi-res albums so roughly 7 EUR per album.

3 Likes

Great ! :v:Integral has been the best sounding USB’s I have had,although have not tried as big as 32 GB.

I took note on your proposal in an old thread :slight_smile: 32GB is not an issue for NDS to manage or? Not sure if there is an upper limit.

1 Like

I didn’t know certain brands of USB sticks sound better than others.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

5 Likes

lol, the intent was not to start something sorry.

2 Likes

I now have everything wired via Cat6 and eliminated the music room switch. Now it’s Fiber/Router to Cisco 2960G on 1st floor to Cisco 2960G on 2nd floor with a 100’ Cat6 from that switch to the NDX2. I have eliminated a switch and the Roon sever from the music room and removed a power strip I no loner need as a result.

The other part is I routed a second 100’ Cat6 cable from office Cisco 2960G switch to bedroom via the attic. Now that the bedroom is wired I put the upstairs Tp-link Deco 6E node there (so it can stay on the ethernet backhaul). That node now has line of sight through a window to the deck outside. I can use the Mu-so2 on the deck and I’m getting 24/196 streams via Qobuz/Roon working with no dropouts. The Roon server is an Intel NUC running ROCK, attached to the Cisco 2960G switch on the first floor.

Finally, I have a network topology that is working well for everything.

1 Like

Indeed. I’ve a 200m drum of unshielded Cat6a sitting next to me. Not expensive (about $100). But not very flexible either. A lot of sweating and swearing over the days I was snaking it to 17 locations in a 3 storey home. Some tight bends in the conduit and the Cat6a head broke off the fishline more than once trying to traverse some.

Problems with shielded network cables inducing ground loops and adding more noise than they reject are well documented.

1 Like

Yeah, if one uses shielded ethernet cable with equipment not meant for it, then I suppose they deserve their pain for getting caught up in the hype and buzz. That’s really for particular enterprise applications, not so much home use.

That discount is too good to pass up. I just ordered a replacement for my Hi-Line. 4 week lead time.

1 Like