What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

I am absolutely amazed by the Atom HE every time I hook it up to other speakers. I have listened to Sohn, Agnes Obel, Angus & Julia Stone, Yello and many many more tonight. All sound really good: open, detailed, refined, powerful, dynamic and smooth. Realy high-end as I like it.

The Elacs sound very good as well, especially with the dual Dynaudio subwoofers, but they roll off strongly at 12Khz already which makes them sound less airy. This experiment was to see if I would be able to live without the subs and with a better top end. I was afraid the Atom HE might become the bottleneck in my system, but that is absolutely not the case. Like I said, it keeps amazing me.

The chain now: Atom HR → AQ Pegasus XLR → LSA Warp One → Supra speaker cable → Dynaudio Confidence C2 II

It measures really well:

And it sounds great!

BR,
Richard

7 Likes

Bought this today…:innocent:
(For TV sound)

15 Likes

The Mu-so is great as a TV sound box. I have one plus a Mu-So Qb2. During the summer the Mu-so2 serves as the sound box for outside deck, and the Qb2 for our bedroom TV. When the warm season is over I move the Mu-so2 to the bedroom TV and the Qb2 gets occasional use in the dining room (we almost never eat there).

3 Likes

Hi Richard thank very much for your response. Interesting to know, that from your experience the Atom HE is not a strong bottleneck even for Dynaudio Confidence. Enjoy!

2 Likes

We use our muso for the tv in the family room as the built in speakers are dreadful in the tv.
It sounds great with the muso and couldn’t really need anything else

Nothing is too much for the Atom HE:)

But, really, in this case more about how the power amp (LSA Warp One?) drives the speakers…

2 Likes

Well, according to Naim it is Source First. But I guess the combination of Naim Atom HE and LSA Warp One just rocks. :blush:

3 Likes

It’s always source first and so it should be.
Waste off time having say a £50K in good amp’s and speakers and then using a £10 binatone cd player to feed it.
You can’t get out what you don’t put in, simple.

3 Likes

And that’s the main thing. Enjoy !

1 Like

The signal has to come out too? :sunglasses:

You don’t have a top fuel dragster and feed it with unleaded fuel and expect to run the same times do you.
You need to start off on the right path or you are bugger before you even start.

Just like best fuel in the world in a Trabant won’t be super exiting either :wink: I’m sure a dragster with unleaded fuel would make everyone here exited too :fire: There are many that have a philosophy with focus on the other end (speaker first). In my experience nothing will change the sound signature as much as speakers. Anyway :blush:

3 Likes

Start off with a good source, and you stand a good chance.
Start off with a poor source, and you stand no chance.

5 Likes

My next upgrade will be a statement streamer as soon as its released. It’ll feed my Nait 5i and
Oberon 5’s just right.

5 Likes

My analog front end is a 1/3 of the complete system cost. The more I have upgraded it the better everything has sounded. I have not made any changed to my digital front end (nor do I expect to). Next upgrade – if I do it – is another pair of subs.

Or maybe a tonearm upgrade. The SAT LM-12 should do. :wink:

2 Likes

Just picked up 2 Rel 5x subs today and wow what a difference it is at low volume and the soundstage is so much better I’ll post pictures tomorrow when I get optimal positioning and settings.

5 Likes

Improved soundstage is one of the biggest benefits of a stereo pair of subs. :+1:

Most certainly is it’s hard to describe the affect it makes apart from wow .

1 Like

When I first brought home a sub to audition I used the Bach Solo Sonatas and Partitas to demo it to my wife. While she was enjoying the music I turned the sub off. She asked what happened to make the soundstage drop away and to diminish the nice woody textures of the instrument. She approved of the purchase. When I upgraded my old pair of REL R-328 to a pair of S/510 earlier this year there was no resistance from her.

2 Likes

Of course it’s first … as in before the others on the signal path.