What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

Thanks Gary but no. They made the Nova look really stupid and I suspect if hear the unnatural exaggeration of certain sounds even more.

3 Likes

Oh well just a thought……you probably have the improvement you wanted just from your new hearing aids alone.

2 Likes

Sennheiser Momentum 4’s. Buying decision based on Mr Darko’s YT review.
Immersive. Detailed. Solid bass. Confident mid. Crystal, uncoloured treble. Five-channel EQ. Wide soundstage. Great separation yet still foot-tappingly musical. 60 hours battery life, noise cancellation.

Paired with Qobuz on a phone with Bluetooth 5.2 and the “aptx Adaptive” codec.
I’m really impressed that Bluetooth tech has improved to the point that cables are now obsolete afaic.
My gob has rarely been so completely smacked.

16 Likes

Good to know the Oreas have worked for you. In my limited experience, if the rack is poor, decent isolators placed under components will improve on sound quality. The best solution is to have a good rack that is designed for sound quality. If the rack is good, isolators will not have much impact when placed under components and in some cases bring more harm than good. If a good rack is not possible, the second best option is the configuration that you have now.

To me the Oreas look rather good under components. I would be more concerned on the tight space and wonder how you managed to install the Oreas under those conditions.

1 Like

Carefully lift component and slide in - and to me the rack not only looks good but does its job as well. Oreas just add to an already good sound IMHO

1 Like

True. They will work better on racks than on coffee tables…

3 Likes

Useful to know. I once had a poor sounding rack and isolators placed under the 282 and 250DR did help improve sound quality. But it’s still far from ideal, in other words not very good. I now use a better rack for all my components and isolators are still used under few components. I currently have two different racks that sound different (believe it or not, I have tried swapping components between them several times). I have arranged the components between the racks to achieve the best results.

1 Like

Yes. I have never used coffee tables for my hifi. However, I once bought a cheap rack designed for hifi, and it’s really poor sounding. I learned my lesson well. The rack has been sold already.

It can be a real eye opener the difference between different racks - much to do with materials used I feel. I remember having an old rack that was metal and glass - worked a treat in my previous house and system but when I moved it was awful. Everything was changed - the rack I now have - Atacama Elite ECO - seems to be far better suited to this more modern house and more forgiving - if that doesn’t sound daft?

Joining the nait 50 crowd. To be used in the summer house with the n-Sats.

30 Likes

I like the sound of mine very much , there is a Super Duper Nait lurking inside it with more Watts per channel, remote, RCA and maybe digital …

All at a super duper price

1 Like

I recently purchased 3 Oreas to go under my DAC, my thought was maybe being a non Naim piece, it might do better with some additional isolation &/or being on glass might not be the best for it. In this application they didn’t work for me either, they had a pronounced hump in the mid bass that made things sound bloated. Left them in for a week to see if I’d adapt/change my mind but I didn’t so out they went. Will try them under my phono pre at some point to see their impact. I do use Gaia’s under my speakers & TT with good results.

2 Likes

I use Quadraspire interfaces under the feet of my UQ2 and they do help a bit where a rack isn’t available. But these types of things do look naff to my eyes so I use them on the UQ2 because it’s shelf is out of sight under my desk. But my other unracked and higher end system that sits on an IKEA cabinet doesn’t. Primarily because the visual oddity of such things distracts me far more in a listening session than the slight downgrade in sound quality.

1 Like

May I ask how you find the Nait50 with n-sats please?

Hi Simon, did you put the Oreas under every part of the system at once? Just wondering whether you had thoughts about where they made the greatest impact?

Originally typed Oreos. Not sure about their sq benefits but they taste nice!

4 Likes

Must say they made a similar improvement on all items - perhaps more on the power amplifier & power supply - just waiting for a final set of indigo for the power supply as they’d only got one set of bronze and one set of indigo which are under the 222 and 250 respectively.

Would say that it all depends on how much cream filling is in the Oreos as to whether they would work!
:wink: :+1:

1 Like

Damn you stole my joke!:rofl:

6 Likes

My first Naim system so everything is new for 2023.

SN3, ND5XS2, CD5si, Isotek power, HighcapDR for the SN3. Chord Shawline DIN from the CD5si and ND5SX2 to SN3, Spendor A4. Ethernet from streamer to router. All done near the close of 2023.

Retained Solidsteel racks, Rega Exact/P9 and Chord speaker cable.

The sound is so different from my previous all Rega system that I am focusing on discovering my music and what I hear that is new and fresh within my CDs, LPs and streaming. Also, I have never streamed before, so that is a whole new world to me. My whole listening experience is being redefined.

I have 500 CDs and 2500 LPs. Except for streaming, 2024, will be devoted to rediscovering my existing media.

21 Likes

I have just ordered a Rega Aria phono stage for my 222. Initially to be used with my Dynavector 10X5, a change to a low-output MC cartridge will follow soon.

4 Likes

Just now received my Hi Cap DR now waiting for the Hi line to arrive :blush:

7 Likes