What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

@SimonDC
Congrats on the black :+1:

What PSU - for the nDAC - are you thinking :thinking:

KR
R

Hi - Iā€™m thinking second hand - probably an XPS - not sure whether to go for an older one or a DR variant?
Have you any thoughts?

Sureā€¦
Also have a bare nDAC. So, guess I was just curious. Itā€™s something Iā€™d love to do myself in the future.

I donā€™t think Iā€™d bother with the XP5 XS.
The 555 PS is said to be the best by users that have gone before.
If you check out profiles for nDAC owners, a few have a 555. Most have a XPS DR.

It really depends on ones budget and what comes upā€¦

Another factor, from about now, the XPS DR is being discontinued and - going forward - will only available second hand. That might affect prices.

The 555 looks to be with us for a while longer.

Hope those thoughts are helpful.
Good luck

KR
R

I have a feeling it will be xps DR - 555 would be a big stretch and vinyl is still preferred source - just wanted to improve digital side a bit, bring it a little more up to Gyro SE/TechnoArm/Ortofon 2M Black LVB250 sort of level if that makes sense?

1 Like

When youā€™re ready - Go for itā€¦
Please keep us all posted

Good luck :+1:

Ooooh - very curious as to how you get on with this upgrade.

1 Like

Sarum T between 552-NDX2/555PSDR. Had my Lavender in between Sarum Super and T andā€¦enjoyed it quite a lot :see_no_evil: Letā€™s see what a T adds to the party.

10 Likes

Great table! Iā€™d enjoy it as is for a long while, then when the itch to upgrade becomes too great, trade it toward a P6ā€“youā€™d get all the upgrades youā€™re interested in plus a much more advanced plinth construction and flywheel two layer glass platter resulting in better performance at likely the same or lower cost vs modding the P3.

2 Likes

Trip to my dealer today and had a radikal akurate power supply installed.
Listening to it now and chuffed to bits. LP12ā€™s are improved so much with a decent PS.
Blue led a bit offensive- but is hidden from view.

1 Like

So far so good with the 2M Black LVB - if you like the standard Black and need to replace the stylus I would say itā€™s a no brainer!
All the attributes of the Black but as per the cliche another veil has been lifted. Tighter bass and seemingly better and more natural soundstage. More front to back depth.
Thatā€™s my thoughts anyway.
Thatā€™s also to @YetiZone who was also asking about the upgrade!

2 Likes

Thanks for the update, food for thought and pleased you are enjoying.

Just bought a recently serviced UnitQute 2 and pair of new old stock Bowers and Wilkins 707 S2 speakers (at a bargain price) for our garden room/study. The system is impressing straight out of the box, especially the speakers, which are significantly better than I was expecting for their sizeā€¦

2 Likes

My system of several years ago, it always impressed me and many others.

1 Like

Following a couple of posts end Janā€¦I now have the 250.3 in house on demoā€¦

So to recap, tried the Linn Twin direct from my DSM/2 Organikā€¦not bad, however still not quite good enoughā€¦

Hooked up the 250.3 this morning direct to the DSM/2ā€¦very interestingā€¦

Firstly the ā€˜physicalā€™ side - looks pretty neat in the rack, mid setting on brightness works for me best (although not keen on the illuminated power button), the perspex middle/top is a dust magnet, a very minor hum is just evident :smile:, the unit runs very cool.
The loudspeaker connections are just off centre - RH side (from front), maybe this could be a prob for a Fraim centre rear legā€¦dunnoā€¦donā€™t have a Fraim.

IMG_5208 (2)

Regarding the ā€˜soundā€™ - wow !, impressedā€¦good grip of the bass, solid organic sound, ā€˜fasterā€™ than the classic amps, punchyā€¦ I swopped out the Naim I/Cā€™s (disappointing) for Chord Epic - much better imho.
It is imho better than 250.2DR and prob just better than 300DRā€¦I have owned both.

IMG_5205

I think I could easily enjoy the 250.3 direct out of the DSM/2 in my main systemā€¦however the 300 mono blocs hopefully due in the fall are the ones I am waiting for ā€¦ :crossed_fingers:

Then tried the 250.3 with a loan New DSM Organikā€¦(of course) even better than DSM/2ā€¦with the new 300 mono blocs I can imagine a very, very nice soundā€¦

Impressive Amp, well done Naim!

17 Likes

Very interesting - thanks for posting. I assume this was balanced out from the Linn to the 250 ?

The NC 300s need to hurry up !

1 Like

Hi James

Yep, so using DSM/2 as pre-ampā€¦balanced XLRs into 250.3

1 Like

Ta. Good to see the new Naim kit on Isoblue too :+1:

2 Likes

Itā€™s so easy to useā€¦a sounds and looks pretty goodā€¦and no messing around, tweaking & rebuildingā€¦ :smile:.

2 Likes

One thing strikes me about the Isoblue, thereā€™s not much air gap above the boxes, I assume itā€™s enough to keep a power amp cool?

Congrats on the new 250! Going to have to listen to one myself, no room for a 300 so this could be the answer :slightly_smiling_face:

XLRā€™s ???