What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

Just been playing with positioning. I can get them 50cm off the back wall without it looking ridiculous, but can’t get the right speaker more than 23cm off the right side wall. Will site them and see how they sound.

Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 with RoomPerfect

7 Likes

Moving them further out from the back wall has improved the presentation hugely. Mazy Star Flowers in December which has a heavy bass line was a tad heavy / boomy in the original position but now sounds clean and fast. This is how it looks now:

Many thanks @seakayaker for the well considered suggestion.

24 Likes

Looks much better but i can’t help thinking that it would be even better if the right speaker would be further away from the side wall. But i understand that the room is small and that this must be the best compromise.

2 Likes

I could move the left speaker further to the left under the sloped roof and thus move the right speaker more away from the wall but I’m then having the left speaker firing at the electronics. One thought that I did have was, in moving the left speaker left, I could possibly move the entire fraim between the speakers against the back wall and then run a block from my dedicated supply sockets which are behind the current fraim.

Another possible advantage of this would be mounting the Rega Wall mount for my p10 on the brick chimney breast which I think would be better than having it on the plasterboard wall as it is currently. Something to think about!

1 Like

A nice Nova on a small table between your speakers would free up your small room and allow your speakers to breathe.
Lovely system but to me, too much hifi in such a small space.

Is that the ex-demo one I just missed? I have a new one (at a higher price :angry:) on order.

How are you liking it?

The other thing you could try is to toe the speakers in a little bit which might help with first refections unless toe isn’t recommended by the speaker manufacturer. That might allow you to move the speakers to the left a tiny little bit.

2 Likes

NSC 222, picked it up this morning.

6 Likes

Like your user name!

Superb, I don’t often say this, but very impressed and a little envious

@SimonDC
Seems we have been working on parallel projects, concurrently, and by coincidence.

New into our house, a lovely SN3…

Looks like a busy thread today, with new things to entertain and delight, over a weekend.
Have a great weekend everyone :+1:

KR
R

21 Likes

First off, I would suggest experimenting with speaker positioning, even if you end up with the l/h speaker pointing at the electronics.

Secondly, if possible, adjust your seating position to see if this makes any improvement.

These steps are free, and a minor faff at most.

You have obviously made a major investment in your system. Have you entertained some tasteful room-correction aids?

They may represent a relatively inexpensive route to Nirvana, so to speak.

Thanks @BigAl. It sounds fantastic in the current position tbh. I will enjoy the music it’s making for a while but it is great to be able to experiment with speaker positions albeit with fairly restricted options.

1 Like

Yes the XPS has certainly brought about a huge improvement in SQ - only problem now it’s started the “what next” thought as I’ve been suggested a NAC 282 would really make a difference!

Oh when will it ever end?

It’s fun though!

Sounds like you’re having fun.

I know what you mean. When I collected the SN3, at the dealer, we chatted about several things, including a PSU for our nDAC. By co-incidence, they have a pre-loved XPS DR in their stock room. Hmmmm :thinking:

Must resist.
Onwards and upwards :wink:

In the meantime, have fun this weekend

2 Likes

That bits not so easy - other half home so its films etc. I get Mon, Tues and Weds nights on my own - partner goes to look after her mum and stays over - so that’s when I get to do my listening!

Resistance is Futile!
As the saying goes :joy:

1 Like

The most recent purchase was an impulse purchase, see picture. What did I learn from it? Never shoot from the hip…:sunglasses:

1 Like

Here’s Bjorn. The Swedish HIFI cowboy.

1 Like

Here’s No Naim, The English HiFi cowboy. :blush:

6 Likes