What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

D20R’s here.
Work really well with NACA5 - I see you use this already.
Easy to drive speaker - minimum 6 ohm impedance so great match for 250DR.
Ribbon tweeter is detailed smooth and refined. I do listen on axis and at tweeter height and think it’s a big plus over dome versions.
The mid range continues the very accurate presentation of music in a smooth and relaxed manner so is not the snappiest studio monitor style speaker if that’s what you’re looking for but vocals are v realistic and airy.
The bass is prodigious and imo needs controlling but if you can do this the depth and speed is one of its attractions for me.
One to demo in your room and YMMV.
Good luck.

4 Likes

I have two drawbacks, the need for a bigger or dedicated room for my system, and wife acceptance of another big black box in the living room. For the rel to get in, the monitor audio sub had to get out.

1 Like

I’m lucky enough to have a dedicated room for listening. My wife and I live in a two-story four-bedroom house, but it’s just the two of us, so I have a 11’ x 17’ second floor bedroom dedicated to the hifi and record collection.

With that said, we plan to relocate the system sometime to the larger (13’ x 22’) living room, but my wife enjoys listening almost as much as I do, at that point we might even upgrade to a REL four- or six-pack array of S/510.

3 Likes

I run the same speakers with a5i amp in the spare room they are fantastic little speakers sounding much much bigger than they are in size

Not entirely positive when it comes to Sarum. Makes the music sound a bit harsh and with less warmth than before. Lots of details though. As for OePhi, a good speaker cable, very musical, but a little lacking in resolution.

1 Like

That’s kind of what I experienced with Sarum too. Not harsh maybe but quite neutral and slim compared to say Morgana or naim original cables. I stayed with Morgana. Regarding Oephi that sounds strange if your reference is naca5. IMO Oephi throw out lots of more detail and has a wider bandwidth. Naca5 rolls of at the top and has a more boomy low end with less control. Naca sort of like a blanket over the speakers in comparison.

Tangerine Audio Evenstar Disc Stabiliser.

Single sub or dual?

I agree on the Sarum. Some tracks came out a bit unbalanced in my opinion. Hi hats and other details stood out too much. But on other tracks the Sarum brought a more vivid sound than the original cable. The first week I really liked it, but later I found the unbalance of the higher end spectrum doubtful. Might be the combination was a bit too much with a 280 and ATC40 speakers. But it was not a black and white thing. For some tracks I miss it. For example, it really made drums on the Fairport Convention record come out much more real and less subdued.

2 Likes

Let me elaborate: OePhi is definitely a more musically coherent cable than the naca5 with, as you say, better control in the lows. But I probably expected even more resolution and bandwidth than it performs in my system. The difference you and I experience I think has to do with our respective choices of speakers. I will therefore borrow the next step up in the OePhi hierarchy, Transcendence, for a comparison.

1 Like

Totally agree :+1: Actually thinking of going back to Shawline again but we’ll see. Still evaluating other speaker cables and the sum of the whole can probably be good in the end. I hope.

1 Like

The Naim 4Pin DIN’s to XLR’s for the New Classics finally arrived at my dealer so I’m putting them through the paces.

1 Like

WiiM Pro, very cheap and very good. I’m using it with an uptone LPS and Leiden silver cable from the co-ax digital out into a d-10x (All this just for Airplay!). But it really is very good especially for the money.

3 Likes

I have about 50 hrs on them. So I am halfway through the recommended break-in and they are excellent.

Hard to describe in hi fi terms since the bass, treble air, space etc. don’t stick out or draw attention to themselves.

The best way to describe them is coherent. Everything sounds tighter and more together. . They just play faster and the emotion of the music is at the fore front.

Now I’m mad I didn’t also buy the DIN to XLR at the intro price.

3 Likes

Furutech FP-TCS31 with FI-28 (R) connectors.

6 Likes

so going from signature tuned array ( source to pre) to Sarum t gives a significant upgrade?

Ohhh you’re not in the UK. I only realise that now looking at the plug.

Actually i have mains cables which come in both UK and US plugs. The standard cables which come with my Naim amps are all in UK plugs. It’s just that I find mains cables with US plugs to sound better on non-Naim gear, most of them come factory terminated and go between the power conditioner and components.

1 Like

Interesting. Obviously US plugs are not fused which is a huge advantage, even over a Naim AirPlug. But fusing is mandated on UK mains for safety because of the slightly unpredictable nature of current balance on a ring main - which probably seemed like a good idea when it was devised but less so in hindsight.

2.hand cleaning machine. And a 2. hand USM Haller Stand for the new turntable.

MM for the Bauer to replace the Dynavector.

7 Likes