What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

It’s really fabulous. It just sounds so effortless and there’s so much more drive & control - especially in the bass notes - but so well balanced. I was discussing it with Luke Milnes (of Wilson Benesch who often demo their kit with Ypsilon) and he said that it was among the very best integrated amps that he’d ever heard. It certainly (my room/my system) outperformed the much more expensive & fully loaded CH Precision I1 that I was testing alongside it; the I1 was terrific and I really fancied the 1-box solution, but I realised that all of my ‘sit up & take notice’ moments came when the Phaethon was in place. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

2 Likes

Yes, I was also a bit skeptical before plugging mine in, but once you hear what it contributes, it’s no doubt, a really good upgrade. What kind of streaming cable are you using?

1 Like

Had it play overnight. It’s really quite good and gets the fundamentals right.

The game may be afoot!

Glad you’re enjoying it too. I’m using the supplied Chord cable between Cisco and EE8, and a long (9m from memory) BJC from EE8 to NDS

1 Like

Tall legs for my fraim. 500 is moving down.

7 Likes

Thanks👍 I also used the included Chord cable to begin with, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, but after a while I tried a used Chord Epic and when I plugged it in, the sound improved even more. Might be something to consider in the future. (Just so you know)

1 Like

Just won a pair of Pmc twenty.21 on fleabay to swap out with my scm11 on occasion. Be an interesting comparison I reckon.

5 Likes

Nice win, congrats.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve experimented with Sarum, Epic, Clearway and Shawline on the last leg. I’ve come to the realisation that, in my system, the C-Stream ‘full loom’ works best of all.

G

I plan on getting the power supply, probably in about 6 months or so. And with qutest I think my digital section is set then.
How’s it compare to your ndx2?
For me it has such detail but really black background with just a touch of warmth. That’s what I’m getting with Qutest.
And a really great sound stage width and depth. It’s really easy to pick out where the instruments are.

But I’m coming from ifi zen not Naim streamer.

The NDX2 is a top transport. So it gives more weight, lower level detail and is smoother on the top end and has an overall ease about it.

I’m very impressed with the Pulsemini. It’s a little rough around the edges but it gets the timing right and is a very engaging listen. It’s not boring like so much digital.

The LPS should make it even better.

1 Like

:+1: Yes, it probably depends on the system what works best. The explanation I got from Naim’s distributor in Sweden was that Epic fits very well together with NAC 272.

1 Like

Yes front ported like some pmc speakers as far as I know

Ifi Power 2 upgrade for Zen Streamer.

The Zen Streamer is a great sounding but of kit, can be infuriatingly temperamental when changing anything to do with config.

Sometimes no issue, other times reset all the various output options to get tunes running again. Haven’t identified the exact sequence and am running the latest firmware etc.

Thanks to @feeling_zen for letting me know about the upgrade option on the power supply, much appreciated.

5 Likes

Loving the Technics Amp, I had a Technics Bi- Amp set up in the late 90’s, one of my power amps have the dials like this, really lovely warm sounding Amps. For me, just part exchanged my CDS3 for a CD555, is is going to be fully serviced first via Naim so still enjoying my current CD Player but can’t wait to hear he very best in Naim CD players.

Cheers, the reviews of the SU-R1000 got my interest in the new redesigned Technics Reference and Grand Class range. Then they brought this one out, the SU-G700M2, with alot of the trickle down tech in and got me even more interested.

Took the plunge for my second system when my Densen B300 power amp developed a bit of an issue and the Technics sounds stunning. Given its all digital it has the most unreal phono stage, which was a very welcome surprise.

Got SN3/Hi-Cap DR in my other system and they have very different presentations but each have their own strengths.

All my Densen gear is currently trying to clear Danish customs as its on its way back to be serviced, will look forward to getting that all back in pristine condition as I’ve had them for the most part since 98. Really wish Densen would follow Naim’s example of the Nait 50 and look at releasing either a DM-10 or indeed B100 Beat anniversary edition, fantastic amps.

1 Like

something for the Eversolo…

es1

4 Likes

Is it possible to rip cds without a computer? Comparable with the auralic products

1 Like

15 Likes