What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

Good idea !

1 Like

Just over a month ago changed my cherry Isoblue rack for a SolidSteel rack. Mainly done because i simply fancied a change. But sonically it just didnā€™t work out. So back to what does work , but this time in Special Branch Walnut.

19 Likes

Looks great. If you hadnā€™t tried, you wouldnā€™t know some racks sound poor.

Bit of a temporary change this one -lovely Sugden A21se Signature - it was too good a price to pass up - itā€™s destined to live at our beach house long term - we could do with a heater up there :joy:

The olives are all boxed up for now.

24 Likes

looks super neat ! much better than racks of boxes

3 Likes

I listened to sugden when I auditioned an XS2 years ago, very nice sounding piece of kit! EnjoyšŸ˜

2 Likes

Hi fellow hi-fi buffs, my pmc Twenty5 21i arrived last week. Put on Manhattan transfer extensions vinyl, and I thought what have I done. Bass was just to heavy for me. I think I heard a air sort of sound going from inside the speakers, top to bottom. After I had played a few more. Lps over the next few days, I am thinking the speakers will settle down as (Ken Goodwin) would say :joy: and give me many long hours of musical enjoyment. Take care and KRO

1 Like

Hi @redmug
Great speakers. You will have to put 200-300 hours on them before assessing if you are happy with them. They absolutely need to be run in because they will sound overly bright and boomy initially. I moved from 25.23 to 25.23i and thought Iā€™d made a mistake but they sound like a different speaker (in a good way!) after 2 months of constant use.
I think the manual says they need to be run in over 50 hours but this has not been my experience with either model.
Iā€™m sure you will love them once they have settled down.

1 Like

Have ordered the latest Isotek Sirius V5 for evaluation (it comes with the evo premier C19 cable included) since it was long time since I had a filter of some sort in my system. I believe @Mike_S have the former version and is very happy with it? Im also looking into a trial of the Puritan 156. Letā€™s see what happens.

1 Like

Yes, well, I did have it on my main system when I had the SN2. When I moved to a 252/250 I tried the piggy-backed Powerline plugs directly to the wall socket, and have stayed like that since. So, piggy backed 552PS, 300PS, 500PS now. The Sirius is used for Apple TV, TV, bluray and the Heed PSā€™s at the moment.

Iā€™m actually thinking of swapping some leads around. Iā€™ve a Powerline on my Nova that I might move to the Heed Obselik (that will power both my Canalot and Quasar) plugged straight to the wall and piggy-back the Powerline on the Core to that. Iā€™ve a Sequel from the wall to the Sirrius and a Premier to the Bluray, I might put one of those on the Farad 3, and then put a standard lead to the wall to Sirrius. Off course, I sold two ā€œspareā€ Powerline with my 250ā€¦.

Iā€™m actually quite confused now, after writing that :flushed:. I might just get a couple of decent copper Supra LoRad power leads (2.5mm) to tidy things up.

Off course, you canā€™t piggy back your power leads, which is a pity, as it really works quite well with the star earthing and effectively gives good direct copper connections for all the Naim power supplies directly to the wall socket.

1 Like

Thatā€™s very classy! Which Linn tonearm is that, please?

Just give them timeā€¦ā€¦:blush:

My most recent purchase has been a reconditioned ARO, with rewiring by Linn (not Naim), courtesy of Colin at WYSAH, Beaconsfield. This is for a ā€˜secondā€™ system for my bedroom.

Iā€™m now looking for a non-LP12 to have the ARO installed in, and thinking of a either a Luxman PD171 AL (recently discontinued) or a Technics SL-150 Mk2 - neither of which is easy to track down. I canā€™t have a suspended subchassis deck like the LP12, because of footfall in the room.

I have an old Dynavector XX2 MkII, which Iā€™d like to trade in for something other than the Te Kaitora Rua which I have in my ā€˜mainā€™ system.

1 Like

Looks like an Ittok LV II to me.

Itā€™s a good idea to run them in with the grilles on as this softens the treble until the tweeters calm down a bit

1 Like

An original Roksan Xerxes is great with the Aro.

1 Like

MCRU linear power supply for the Qutest. A surprisingly big difference. Really makes listening to the Core a viable alternative to the LP12. Prior to the PS upgrade it was only getting rare background listening use. Very happy with a relatively cheap upgrade. Now to see if it makes a noticeable difference to the TV sound quality.

Today this one arrived.

Interesting transport, an acceptable internal dac, it plays everything, MQA full decode, DSD512, all pcm formats, in the decoding of formats it plays all, itā€™s fast and stable. It has a nice screen, but after seeing all the hype on the web my expectations were higher than what I got.

Love the small antenas and the Roon Ready certification, the connectivity, but I am not sold on it regarding the internal dac.

10 Likes

Good to know. I have two MCRUā€™s on the way for the HugoTT and PulseMini. Iā€™m expecting an uplift on the Innuos not sure about the Hugo.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been hearing this product mentioned a lot lately, interested to hear how you like it.

2 Likes