What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

As Borat would say “very nice !!!”

30 Likes

Wow, how exciting. Well done.

2 Likes

Nice one… though from your profile it is the only one naim item in your system - so how / where are you going to use it?

1 Like

Furutech connector for my Puritan Classic.

7 Likes

Geoff, it’s a preamp for my Chord DAVE which in turn feeds my ATC active speakers.

It’s a lovely preamp and so far it’s ahead of the Chord Ultima Pre. 3.

It’s just got a better midrange - for vocals especially, just more natural to my ears.

But just as detailed as the Ultima Pre. 3 and I’ve only about 72 hours all up on it too.

So I expect that gap to widen more over time. I am glad to be back into the NAIM fold after quite a few years out.

Their preamps were always highly regarded - but more so in an all NAIM preamp/ poweramp setup. The NC Range seems to make that not so rigid now with the XLR connections for example.

The need to make them more interchangeable / flexible with other brands is a big plus for me.

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply @Seacat77 and for updating your profile, that should be great fun with your ATC’s!

A small but important tip, if you are unaware - check the maximum volume setting, the instructions are in the manual on how to do this using the mute button.

When I collected my NAP 350’s my dealer showed me that on a NAC 332 the maximum volume ‘might’ be set at at 80% fresh from the factory - therefore it would be better set at 100%. Sure enough, when I installed the amplifiers, I discovered that my preamp was at the lower setting and I adjusted it accordingly.

2 Likes

Let us know if it makes a difference

Thanks for the tip !!!

Yep, it was at about 80% max volume for me too.

I’ve adjusted it to max now.

1 Like

Despite my doubts about the Puritan 108 I let it sit for 2 weeks and finally came to the conclusion it was better in some important ways compared to the fezz. So I bought it. I also got the Lindemann Limetree Bridge II and a power cord for my NAP 250 DR, Neotech The Grand. A very worthwhile upgrade all in all.

7 Likes

Does new wiring to the house from a new electricity pole count lol? Shouldn’t make any difference to the sound but you know us audiophiles and our love of placebos.

2 Likes

Next time I should remember to put the grille on when other children visit.

3 Likes

Is it the PS108 with or without the DC blocker? Fezz Super 5 has one DC-blocked plug if I recall correctly. May I ask also the whereabouts of country/dealer/price?

My SN2 transformer has always been buzzing (I can just about notice it from my listening position with no music playing) and my HiCap DR seems to also be buzzing a tiny bit. Buzzing gets much worse when my OH is using the hairdryer, so definitely mains related. Currently on a Wireworld Matrix 2 with Powerlines all over, so no filtering or DC blocking.

So now that I have run out of things to buy :sweat_smile:, I am turning my attention to powerblocks. I am based in Belgium, so looking at Schuko solutions such as the Fezz, Puritan and Isol-8 Powerline. Puritan seems tricky to find nearby, so that’s why I am asking. And a second-hand Fezz might be tempting anyway :wink:.

Is that the same on the NDC 222? My max preamp volume (in the Naim app) is set to 85, under Audio Settings.

If you have this setting in your manual , then the same applies I believe

Maximum volume

I’ll check the manual again, but I have read it before and didn’t notice this. Not sure if the Mute button instructions are equivalent to the Naim app setting I noted.

If you have doubts on the apps , I think you do it manually on the mute button. Just press and hold… I don’t have a naim app. So I do it manually when I set up my 332

1 Like

This is what you will see when u press hold the mute button… mine is set to :100: