What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

A NAC 252 year 2018 arrived today to replace my 282 year 2006. Very pleased with it.

46 Likes

Would I benefit from it if I connected one to my 272, Blackbird?:thinking:

In terms of compatibility with streaming services and such, yes indeed. I had a Lumin U1 mini on my 272 with the sbooster LPS. That one at least was a great uplift but don’t plan on using their own app because it *****. I used Roon at that time. I’ve just started evaluating the Lindemann Bridge II and I cannot say I got the feeling things got worse in terms of sound quality and that with a basic coax cable. Rather the opposite. You could also put the Primare NP5 MKII on your trial list if so. I have one coming for trial any day now but not sure if I will go through the hassle.

2 Likes

First acquisition in 2024!

Bass less boomy, sharper and tighter, mid to high sound smoother.
Even better result with two of them, bass less boomy, sharper and tighter but more powerful, but the second one has to wait, budget constraint​:face_with_peeking_eye::man_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

Very tempted to get one or 2 of these. What can you do in the app? Also would it be better on the floor in the corner?

1 Like

How does it work. Digital Noice cancelling at certain frequencies?

Bought this one … netzleiste plus from musicline
But with exchange of netzleiste (currently installed) and this one … will wait until I need to get behind the rack … very less space there … days work to come :blush:

And innous zenith … but this was in 2023 - so forbidden to post here :grin:

2 Likes

Mine was installed by the dealer. He used an app while playing unrelenting bass test track from my system to measure the effect in various spot of the room. Two spots he identified was one on the floor, and the other one on top of my bookshelf (real shelf, not the speaker). So the location could be anywhere and need to use certain tool (app) to identify spot with the most effect.

Due to budget issue, I choose one first and next time when money allows can add another one for the other spot on the floor.

As some reviews on this product reported, usually the better result is with two or more. But for me one has given quite an incremental improvement although two is actually much better.

2 Likes

So I have to know, will you be a cage on, or cage off owner?

It’s the endless debate with tube amp owners.

Maybe the cage upside down? I have to do some blind tests

Well I think the debate is mainly just whether you think a tube amp looks better with or without the cage.

1 Like

Would love to hear your experience with this change to the Plus.

Am also using the original Netzleiste and have been looking to upgrade to the Plus version.

The Netzleiste was after all the standard recommended power strip for any Naim system over here.

1 Like

Lindemann just announced that they will deliver an update coming days so their streamers support Tidal Max :ok_hand:

1 Like

I know we are not supposed to advertise stuff in the forum, but if you search online for a used Netzleiste Plus, you will find one located in Brussels region. :wink:

1 Like

I think the debate is whether you care about safety or not.

One of my local Naim dealers came around to deliver my Naim SL2’s I’d bought off him about two years ago and he said he was a qualified electrical engineer in his previous life.

He said the really high deadly voltages are in the tubes, if you ever managed to find yourself in the unlikely but possible cenario where you trip, fall, break a tube, and find yourself holding or fall onto the tube.

He said the voltages are the really extremely high ones that clamp you on, and the only way to get off is if somone turns the electrics off.

I still use my Audio Note P3 with the lid off as the tubes are inside and it keeps it much cooler and I would think will prolong it’s life span considerably.

4 Likes

I kept the cage on when the kids were very small. Though it doesn’t protect from burns as it gets very hot. But now they are 6 and 8 I removed it and just tell them to be careful.

The voltages are high but current is low low low.

1 Like

That’s easy… no cover :grinning:

There isn’t one on my Aegis and I haven’t fitted the glass screen on the Nirvana.

Edit. I would say, ones like @Yorkshireman have to be covered though if there are inquisitive fingers around. Both my amps have tubes on the outside so I prefer not to obscure them and we have no pets or kids that would hurt themselves on them … well, we have a dog but he can’t climb :grinning:

4 Likes

It’s only if the glass was broken, it’s the voltages inside the tube that are dangerous.

Voltage isn’t inherently dangerous without sufficient current. Carpet Static electricity shocks are in the thousands of volts but amps (and time) low so the transfer of energy is low.

My EL84 tubes run at 400v DC but 0.03 amps… or <12 watts (for two in push pull - a single tube is half that). You’d certain get burned very badly, possibly cut seriously and wind up in the emergency room with an injury you won’t ever forget but not from the shock which would also be short. Unlike a capacitor shock which could kill you at much lower voltages. I’d certainly never run the kind of tube amps that have the transformers and caps and all the other gubbins exposed. But the kind where the tubes simply protrude through the casing and the underlying power supply has a 100w ceiling and 2 amp fuse don’t concern me much.

I tell the kids these are as hot as the stove and just like the stove, which they are now tall enough to reach easily, they can believe my warning or not believe it and learn the hard way.

5 Likes

Just got a UPS tracking order for my new Guru’s, hopefully will have some pictures to post when they arrive from Sweden somepoint next week.

2 Likes