What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

Sorry, brain not in gear… Bluesound… The Bluesound node…

4 Likes

Disregarding the doom in the HiLine cable failure thread, and got one installed today. Second hand. So far so good. :blush:

4 Likes

Based upon Eleanor’s recent postings concerning network switches, I grabbed a Netgear GS105E off the auction site (for a very modest sum), to compare against the Cisco 2960C (as espoused by Simon “The Hood” :grin: ) currently sitting upstream of my Allo Signature streamer.

Not that I believe any of this, of course. “Ones is ones and noughts is noughts” as they say. But hey ho, how else am I going to fill my retirement (running out of space for Lego, and Jasmine has started pulling the models apart!)

3 Likes

MS HD mains plug to finish off a two way hydra for my 350s and this plug has plenty of room for cable routing inside the plug assembly.

2 Likes

Looks good James. Might get one of those for my amp hydra (MK screw terminal plug at present).
Would you kindly report back the listening results please!

1 Like

Will do Mr T. I’m not expecting much, if anything, but if it’s good enough for Chord (although they use the silver plated version). Most plugs cramp things around the N / E wire channel so the layout of this plug is a bit more sensible in that aspect for larger cables. A decent inlet and clamp size too.

1 Like

I did order one from mcru and had to send it back…could not remove the scews. So tight, they just lost the metal as the “correct” screwdriver turned. Sent back and my money returned. Perhaps i was unlucky……
I have an unfinished project.

1 Like

That’s a shame Gary - this one came from Futureshop and all screws are fine. I forgot about MCRU - could have saved myself 10% !

1 Like

Wilson Benesch Vectors s/h from someone in Paris.

8 Likes

Just added the final piece of AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable. So it’s AQ Diamond from Asus router to EE8 switch then AQ Diamond from EE8 to Auralic Aries G2.2 streamer. I also use AQ Vodka from modem to router and Vodka from NAS to EE8

4 Likes

Well, I’ve just received this little triangular beauty from my Wife for my birthday. Officially now my last bit of gear in 2024!

4 Likes

Bought a Rega RB2000 tonearm for my P8. A Rega dealer has recently been selling a few NOS at a very attractive price.

17 Likes

Sorry it’s taken time for me to get round to this:

Without the REL there’s comparatively little difference in FR, with the Sumiko position there are two notable dips (ca 120Hz and 195Hz) as against one at around 140Hz for the old position and the HF is a little more even for the old position. These differences are minor.

The addition of the REL greatly exacerbates the excitation of the room modes, particularly the 34Hz mode which isn’t a problem with the PMC speakers alone. The waterfall plots show that the room position of the REL is completely wrong as it’s greatly extending the RT60 time between 27Hz and 70Hz.

The lack of decay at 44Hz and 84Hx indictes that the room in under-damped at LF.

Van Den Hul Optocoupler MK2.

Working well between Primare NP5 and Ndac.

2 Likes

As Borat would say “very nice !!!”

30 Likes

Wow, how exciting. Well done.

2 Likes

Nice one… though from your profile it is the only one naim item in your system - so how / where are you going to use it?

1 Like

Furutech connector for my Puritan Classic.

7 Likes

Geoff, it’s a preamp for my Chord DAVE which in turn feeds my ATC active speakers.

It’s a lovely preamp and so far it’s ahead of the Chord Ultima Pre. 3.

It’s just got a better midrange - for vocals especially, just more natural to my ears.

But just as detailed as the Ultima Pre. 3 and I’ve only about 72 hours all up on it too.

So I expect that gap to widen more over time. I am glad to be back into the NAIM fold after quite a few years out.

Their preamps were always highly regarded - but more so in an all NAIM preamp/ poweramp setup. The NC Range seems to make that not so rigid now with the XLR connections for example.

The need to make them more interchangeable / flexible with other brands is a big plus for me.

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply @Seacat77 and for updating your profile, that should be great fun with your ATC’s!

A small but important tip, if you are unaware - check the maximum volume setting, the instructions are in the manual on how to do this using the mute button.

When I collected my NAP 350’s my dealer showed me that on a NAC 332 the maximum volume ‘might’ be set at at 80% fresh from the factory - therefore it would be better set at 100%. Sure enough, when I installed the amplifiers, I discovered that my preamp was at the lower setting and I adjusted it accordingly.

2 Likes