What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

Nice , although esoteric are awesome products, so it’s gonna be a boulder pre and power ? That cuts down boxes

(Images courtesy of Smart Home Sounds)

Sony Bluetooth subwoofer and atmos rear speakers. I had already purchased the HTA7000 soundbar, and added these today to provide a relatively discreet, but surprisingly effective surround sound setup.

1 Like

No, just the Boulder 1108 phono-stage to replace my Superline/Supercap. I am keeping the NDX2/252/300 with no plans to change. If I were to shed the 252/300 for Boulder I would also need new shelving (i.e. HRS). Boulder components won’t fit on Fraim shelves.

1 Like

My Supernait 2 was probably heading towards a service, which I believe to be around £400. This got me thinking what a exdemo Supernait 3 would cost? I did a little reseach and I have just bought an unused/openbox Supernait 3 from a dealer for roughly half price.
I reckon by the time I move on my Supernait 2 and add in the cost of the service I was thinking of, the Supernait 3 would have cost me around £400. I’m pretty pleased with that.

21 Likes

How did the Utopik upgrade go ?

Nice one Tony. I love the styling of the Rega ‘Clamshell’ kit.

1 Like

Thank you, James. :sunglasses:

1 Like

My Nait5i (2006) came back after recapping service…does that count for this topic as well?
It sound so much better, like/as new.

2 Likes

I wonder if a Boulder preamp and power amp would have the same effect as the Boulder Phono did ? I would think listening to an all 1100 series would be interesting.

Why not the Boulder streamer. Only 83 k euros.

4 Likes

Boulder gear – IMHO – is every bit as good or better than Naim gear. My dealer has carried it for a long time, and I have heard Boulder systems in their showrooms. It’s the real deal, beautifully made, and expensive. The day may come when I move on from Naim in favor of Boulder. The one snag is they don’t have a streaming/DAC solution in the 1100 series.

I don’t even play my NDX2/XPSDR very often. I probably wasted my money buying it.

It was a joke. I know that streaming is your second source. And 83 k, it’s something. Apart Wadax and MSB , there are no more expensive streamers on the market.

1 Like

I knew your comment was tongue-in-cheek. :slight_smile:

Now that Boulder 2108 phono-stage for US $62K… :thinking:

1 Like

A different league altogether to NAIM, who, with their outdated DAC platforms, seem to have abandoned streaming in recent years.

The Boulder 2120 DAC is roughly in the same price range as a ND555 with dual 555PS. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Boulder betters the Naim. Boulder has been nothing short of most impressive in my experience so far. They also have gear at the Naim Statement level with their 3000 series.

It’s expensive to live at the top Mike…:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I have listened to a $600K+ system based on Boulder electronics at my dealer. It was really quite amazing how present the performers sounded. We alway talk about “it’s in the room” but this was on quite another level of realism in that regard. :flushed:

The turntable was an AMG Viella Forte with a Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, and it all played throughDynaudio Consequence Ultimate Edition speakers. The Boulder mono block amps looked like big machined aluminum coffins (they could fit my wife’s and my dead bodies for sure).

2 Likes

Have not heard wadax , but I know they are very expensive. They only have one series of dac- Atlantis reference and Atlantis , if only they have a lower series making it more market friendly ….
Had demoed msb - naim streamer has more soul to it …

1 Like

Looks beautifully made as I would expect. We have the same pre/power combination as you with R3 Arrete which we love. It will be interesting to get some feedback when you’ve done some more listening. It looks chunkier than I expected from photos I’ve seen of it before. How flexible is it? Last question… would you mind saying which level of their speaker cable this is? Thanks.