What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

Can’t wait to connect them up.

6 Likes

My wife has gone out for the day so I’ve finally mustered up the courage :pleading_face: to install the Sarum T. I won’t bore you with the usual cliche’d descriptions, except to say they REALLY bring out the best in the system. Very rich and full sound.

Whist my 252 is a 2022 model, it’s only 4-5 months old in terms of usage. It really started to settle down a few weeks ago and with the new Sarum cables, my system has really started to sing. I’m a very happy chap.

Ps. I’m not sure they justify the RRP; but at second hand prices, I highly recommend. I just need to sort out my cable dressing (again) now… Sigh emoji…

7 Likes

No NACA5?? :wink: And then Chord Music is said to be a huge leap forward compared to Sarum T. And then they say cables doesn’t matter :wink:

I’m evaluating the all new “non compromise” QED Supremus Zr here. They have a white paper on the work that went into it on their www. Deep cryo, cold welded rhodium connectors, airloc plugs, something they call aircore, barrels and boots in a ceramic material etc. Brand new so need many hours of burn in. Very stiff cable so need many days to relax and rhodium connectors so I’m guessing minimum 1-200h needed, maybe more. From the off the bass is a bit thin but it should come together with some play time me think. Rhodium normally sounds bit like this when new. Mids and highs very promising out of the box. Retails 1799GBP for 2x3m.

3 Likes

These high end, expensive cables are certainly not very easy to work with and take a lot of patience. I’ve got mine sorted now. 250 going straight into the wall, 252 and NDX2 on the first two G3 sockets. I’ve managed to get the Sarum T onto cable risers and the whole thing is sounding just as good as I had hoped.

Good luck with this cable, it looks like it passes the weight test for sure!

7 Likes

Nice setup but it really deserves a better cable between the 250DR and your preamp. I personally use a Chord Sarum. Could probably be the crowning glory if you buy one.

Thank you. I used to have a Sarum DIN interconnect for my 252 - NDX2 and a Sarum DIN-XLR for my 250DR - SCDR; but I decided to massively simplify my system and went back to basics. I removed these and also all expensive ethernet cables, switches and other devices. My system has never sounded so good. The only thing I kept was the expensive power cables :slight_smile:

ps. I am not sure if it is my ears or the cables I had; but I really did not observe any noticeable difference from the Sarum DIN-XLR over the stock one. Maybe now I have stripped things back, and with the better speaker cable, I would see a difference. Either way, I have no money left to try :rofl:

ps. the cost would also be roughly the same as the difference between selling my 250DR and getting a second hand 300DR, which would be my preference (at some point way in the future). I’m happy now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What about the wobble effect.
That is what kept me hesitant - don’t want to get the speakers sea sick when I walk by

The speakers do wobble when you push them, but nothing noticeable when playing music. They do improve the sound as advertised. Yesterday it felt like I added subwoofers, the bass was much more present.

Do you have a suspended floor? When walking by they should wobble.

???
Are you related to the oephi guy?
What happened to the oephi - why the next one?

1 Like

Nope. And Oephi are still here for evaluation :blush: And Oephi Reference are still the best speakers cable I’ve ever heard. FWIW.

But QED only have 10hours on them. Need more time since they are completely new.

There so much more cables to evaluate… but be careful… at the end you decide to buy new speakers and all starts over again :blush:

1 Like

That great! Then I have something to do in the future too :smile:

2 Likes

I live in an apartment building, so I would imagine it is hardwood (laminate) over concrete. No wobble when walking by at all. Another reason I wanted the podiums was to try and eliminate any vibration going through the floor to my neighbour below.

3 Likes

I took the plunge today and purchased a Nait 50. Been strong for so long, but caved today.

16 Likes

Perhaps a good match for your LS3/5a speakers, let us know how it works out…

1 Like

I’ve been seeing that same set up in threads here and they look sooo cooool. Obviously they need to right great to and they clearly do as the knowledgable folk here wouldn’t have them.

DG…

6 Likes

Few days have passed and the QED cable which was new have relaxed a bit but is compared to Oephi Reference tougher on ear and bit more “metallic/hard” forward sounding. The bass is bit tighter/smaller in size than on Reference and this also makes it tilt to much towards bright for my taste. I get bit of the same feeling as I got with Sarum T DIN DIN in that it is so much information coming through that is is almost sounding artificial. Oephi also let’s so much details through but never sounding bright or hard in my system. Oephi Reference is still the best speaker cable I’ve heard. It’s very special to my ears. So natural and easy to listen to. And the most expensive…

In a word I would sum Oephi Reference up with “beautiful” since it touch me deeply in a way other speaker cables don’t.

QED have Rhodium connectors so might need a week more to calm down and open up the low end bit more.

:blush: this is why I have preferred the sigma - or sometimes even the vodka over diamond. Too much can lean on the artificial side.
This oephi must be … oh dear… so good? :smirk:
The cable seems to be sigma like - tempting!