What was the last bit of gear you bought?

Hope for 272.2/372

1 Like

You and half of the forum. :sweat_smile:

On a serious note: if you have a 250dr and ( in the future) full separates… go ndx2 . With a pre amp worthy of.

Bought this little Laser Measure. Very helpful in setting up speakers. Not very expensive either maybe $35.00

12 Likes

Also just got this power cord for my on order MScaler

4 Likes

Very nice room. The walls look like they have diffusion and absorption built-in. Very tastefully done.

Enjoy ~

1 Like

Hi @ryder, thanks for the kind words. I indeed did some acoustic treatment. I talked a little about it in this thread (position 1083). Iver

1 Like

To replace the non DR SC with the 252.

13 Likes

Following the advice on this thread replaced QED silver anniversary bi-wire (with amp end bodged together) between my Star and PMC DB1+s with 2 metres of Witch Hat phantom plus jumper leads. Very impressed after just one day - precision, timing, spaciousness and soundstage all improved. Why didn’t I do this earlier?

9 Likes

It has now been in place for 24 hours and I have to admit that Naim constantly surprise. To test that the DR was working on delivery I put it into my 82, 250-2 system to replace 2 hicaps. It immediately impressed with its deeper fuller bass, as I expected it to vs the hicaps.
Moving it on to the 252/300DR I didn’t expect such an obvious change, and at first I thought uplift, yes, dramatic, no. I am now just listening to RP and Just everything is fuller, yet more clear, more placed, more separated, particularly noticeable on The Pretenders live version of Back in the Chain Gang, followed on RP by Stones Stripped version ‘Slipping away’ The DR vs the non DR is a significant improvement, perhaps only noticeable as you sit and listen, but its real. Is it worth the 2k to have an SC DR’d? Possibly not, but when a service is due then absolutely include it.

1 Like

I use the RME strictly as DAC and feed the balanced signal to a dedicated headphone amp (Singxer SA1) and the unbalanced output feeds my new (used) Supernait 2, both giving me a nice sound into various headphones (Sennheiser HD 6XX, Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 Ohm). I wasn’t too crazy about the headphone sound from the RME as well

1 Like

Thanks for the lead on the Schaffner ferrite-coated/filtered PC. I just ordered one from Allied to use with an AfterDark lpsu I’m about to pick up. Have you noticed an improvement when using it with your Paul Hynes or Uptone models? I’m doubtful an audiophile grade PC would make any difference when connected to a lpsu.

Thank you :pray:

when I asked whether to change the power cable for the Hugo TT2’s external power supply, everyone (including the Chord) told me it doesn’t make sense …
Has anyone suggested differently to you for the M scaler?

Nope… Just felt like it. When I get the Mscaler I’ll try it out.

1 Like

I’m pretty indifferent to PCs in general and historically have never experienced a night-and-day difference regardless of whatever money I threw at that last six feet. I appreciate good design and the effort put forth at mitigating EMI/RFI, I just think hundreds or thousands of dollars/pounds (per) can be better spent. In my mind, I’ve ever only, at best, perceived ‘differences’ but never really true ‘improvements’. It’s just too subjective and preferential anyway; and to top it off, I’ve come to the conclusion they’re just tone controls more than anything in this regard, much like tube-rolling NOS 12AX7s, 5751s and so forth. Sure there are differences, but that’s where it ends, IMHO. It then becomes a matter of finding the one that gels with your components, I suppose.

To answer your question, though, I do think the Schaffner is a massively cost-effective upgrade for LPSs. I have a pretty expensive PC feeding the Hynes on my Chord DAC (only because it matches the rest of the loom on my Integrated, streamer and PS Audio power regenerator) and it really doesn’t contribute anything I’d call worth the money. At some point diminishing returns rears its head; it’s the only explanation why people lose interest in their PC of the moment and attempt to move on or upgrade, sometimes even backpedal as I have.

I tried the Schaffner on the Hynes feeding the DAC and cannot tell the difference from a $1,300 MSRP PC. As I’ve stated, I have them on all of my LPSs somewhere within my networking components and cannot recommend them highly enough. There had been speculation long ago that JPS Labs sourced them for their digital cables and rebadged them (though I do not know which ones), or at the very least copied the design. It’s hearsay, but it was all over at one point.

2 Likes

Couldn’t resist, They will replace my Intros I’ve had since new…

23 Likes

Thanks for your detailed feedback and I look forward to receiving the filtered PC to try in my system.

You’re quite welcome. Hope it works well for you. They really are a somewhat unsung PC.

1 Like

Morning Richard,

I may start a thread about the little I have learned, after all. It will be by no means meant to trigger polemics, but just to share some facts and to try and discuss the relation between objectivity and subjectivity in this very delicate matter. I am waiting for two lengths of NAC A5 to arrive; I’ll then properly terminate and use them then I’ll start my thread with nothing than facts - which don’t belong to me - and personal impressions, which obviously do.

Nothing more,

Max

Morning Max. So long as it’s respectful of forum rules and of our hosts, I see no problems.