The Listening Room Reality

I’m not into that kind of plants
I’m climber, I need my heart/lungs :sweat_smile:

As for the plants as acoustic treatment I’m in favour of thicker leaves :joy:

1 Like

Great call Thomas, this Bad Boy grown in minutes simply creates heavenly front wall diffusion and is always a breath of fresh air in the room ( think I might have one for symmetry the other side). :thinking::partying_face: Best Peter

![

2 Likes

Absolutely, symmetry is key, especially regarding plants and the interaction with room acoustics.

I believe there is market there. We should start a company, and sell (at audiophile prices) our expertise on how to grow acoustic plants :joy:

A couple of dozen of “audio plants” and we could bye a couple Statements :partying_face: :partying_face:

2 Likes

Marvellous idea :clap:t2::clinking_glasses: Best Peter

1 Like

I was a competitive distance runner for years, and I still climb, hike, and walk, and have no problem with those plants when vaping or using edibles. :smiley: In fact they’re quite helpful in ameliorating the aches and pains from those years and thousands of miles I’ve put on my body.

1 Like

Went a slightly different route then most here. I started having a professional visiting who did the measurements for me (how much I read about, I keep struggling really understanding). I already had my suggestion to use WoodUpp acoustic panels. I discussed it with the professional who said I am ok with these, but afterwards I’d need some additional basstraps. I ordered these (ArtNovion) and expect them soon.

In all fairness, I had to get used to the « new sound » a little, but now very happy with the result. Looking forward to the traps
Iver

Before

During

After

24 Likes

Looks really really cool IvdZ, well done for taking that jump :+1:t3: Enjoy Peter

1 Like

Hi

Full disclosure. I am far far from an expert!

I am enjoying the journey though.

I am experimenting with a couple of diy solutions. Firstly a couple of foam absorbers covered in speaker fabric. They are free standing so aesthetically acceptable to my wife and can be completely removed from the room when we have guests!
Secondly some wall art. This is a standard print onto thick ish fabric. I have added a thin frame and filled the space with loose rock wool. Being loose i had to make a pillowcase to encapsulate out of an old duvet!

I am not convinced the pictures make any difference because the fabric the picture is printed on is quite thick so probably not transparent to sound energy.

The foam absorbers do make an audible difference but its subtle

2 Likes

You’ll see my examples of some DIY treatment at the end of this thread (and journey):

1 Like

I think I mentioned in other threads that I am on a room-accoustics-journey. Since I - even after extensive reading- do not understand all tech behind it, I decided to get a professional in from the beginning. That started with detailed measurements and an accompanying advisory-report. We decided for a combination of WoodUpp panels and Artnovion bass-trap products

Today Frank from Very Fine Solutions in Belgium came over for the bass-traps delivery, and to do additional measurements. He spent 5 ((!) now that’s service) hours with me.

We first did a audition how he perceived the impact of my self-installed WoodUpp panels. I was already excited and also Frank confirmed. The overall sound is way more relaxed and balanced. We have bettered separation of instruments, firmer bass and we were able to keep the depth in the sound.

Next Frank re-did all the room measurements so we could compare against the measurements from the initial situation (when I didn’t have the WoodUpps yet). These confirmed again our listening experience.

Next Frank re-checked speaker placements. I could never believe this “a centimeter can make a big change” - talk, but now I do. By toeing the right speaker a little, he could improve detail substantially. He used some classical music to do so, and I could hear the magic.

Then we placed the new Artnovion bass-traps. They go quite well with the WoodUpp. I have a series of 3 traps in the corner of the system, and another series of 3 on the complete opposite of the room. The traps allow to be tuned towards the specific frequence that required treatments. That is were the previous measurements we needed for. Tuning the trapps was time consuming.

We listened again: absolutely worth the investment. Bass has more control, I can better separate low frequency instruments and even more control/relaxeness on the overall sound

Ah, you might notice on the pics that I still need to fix the traps to the wall. Will do soon, now they are just stapled but that doesn’t affect sound.

Iver

Situation before the bass-traps

With the new Artnovion bass-traps

19 Likes

Very cool looking and a sonic lift to go with it, well done! :+1:t3: ATB Peter

1 Like

I am really happy @PeterR ; this was the “missing” part
Iver

1 Like

…and the most important one! :blush: Enjoy Peter

2 Likes

Such a relief to see a room that doesnt look like a a foam padded cell!

5 Likes

Hi Thomas, hope you are keeping well :+1:t3:
Just thought I would check in to report, that I actually have listened to your advice.
I have posted a listening end photo and a view behind the existing sofa with 1x full range Monster trap absorber.

1. I have ordered a smaller ( less bombastic ) sofa in fabric coverage, as I’m getting increasingly fed up with ‘ feeling ‘ the literally trapped wind inside the sofa having nowhere to go. Essentially the sofa has got zero audiophile appeal in its genome, but hey…
  2. A second monster trap has been ordered, as my new sofa has got more ground clearance allowing pressure to escape in underneath with dual monsters coming into effect. These will be placed 50mm of the wall and 50mm off the floor, and will hence be working side by side, as you indicated.
  3. Curtains will be shortened next weekend ending up just finishing above the 2 absorbers.

I am hoping you will be proud of me! :partying_face::rofl: will post as progress is being made :+1:t3: All the best Peter

PS. The new sofa will be 35 centimetres less wide.

4 Likes

Mary, you’re a good wife. It isn’t every woman who’d wear that acoustic smock to help soften this hard listening room

10 Likes

I currently have my speakers either side of my fire (too close to the wall) and listen directly opposite right up against the opposite wall.

I’ve planned out a new arrangement as we are redecorating giving me the chance to improve things somewhat, hopefully without it looking too much like a listening room. I think the speakers (approx. to scale) will have to push a bit further back into the bay window, but you get the idea. To those in the know, are there any obvious improvement? Much appreciated.

My system is in my profile if that makes a difference.

1 Like

All looks good to me, the only thing if domestic bliss allows would be to move the chair between the speakers, just to see if a positive effect would be yielded. :+1:t3: Best Peter

Thanks for the suggestion. Furniture will be the last thing but I could have 2 smaller seats replacing the 2 seater and have a footstool in the bay. I’ve potentially got an electronics upgrade in the planning stage, but want to swap the room around first.

Sorry didn’t realise it was only a foot stool, probably not a deal breaker I guess :rofl: ATB Peter