What was the last bit of gear you bought?

Oh, but the 252/sc vs the 272 makes it all very much worth the effort, I couldn’t be more satisfied with that move. It just surprises me that the streamer/dac of the Nd5xs2 for me is lacking compared to the n272. My wife does like airplay though… :sunglasses:

Thanks for the update Dave. Sounds like you are enjoying a nice improvement.

I did use Gaia 3s with my Proac Response 2.5 with great effect as I had a touch of booming bass which the Gaia’s eliminated.

However with MF7 I’m thankfully not suffering those issues.

I have a carpeted floor so would probably need to factor in carpet spike cups also.

What type of flooring do you have?

Thanks Prem.

Was going to say the same thing!

Sadly, a suspended wood floor with laminate on top.

Previously, I didn’t have any issues with bass in my music room, it was always tight, though now it seems slightly more melodic, if that’s possible.

On a very few recordings, the top end could veer towards being a tiny bit screechy, so I’ve had a couple of albums on this afternoon which I know show this annoying tendency, and they sound smooth as silk.

Now I know that’s not my imagination, so, yes, I’m very happy with the Gaias, which seem to do “exactly wot it says on the tin”.

A bit of final manoeuvering of the Neats, (bleedin’ 'eavy, ain’t they?), and I’ll be sorted.

Thanks Dave.

My MF7 are heavy enough let alone your MF9s!!

1 Like

Yes, I watched the installation video, and they suggested standing your speakers upside down to allow better access.

Ye’re ‘avin’ a larf, surely, and that’s not allowing for the super tweeter on top.

I just gently tipped them forward onto their fronts, and since Neat’s metal plinth is remaining attached, I had plenty room to work with.

A really worthwhile upgrade, I feel.

1 Like

Very excited here at gthack towers today, collected a new XS3!

First impressions: it’s a heavy little thing X)
Second impression: remote volume control is more useful than I ever thought :smiley:

29 Likes

I disabled the UPnP input and disconnected the ethernet cable. I only use the digital 1 input for the Node2i and Analogue Input for the LP12.

I got a Denafrips Venus II DAC a couple of days ago and I’m really happy with it. It’s fed with a Oppo 205 connected with a Blue Jeans/Belden BNC cable w/ a Canare RCA adapter on the Oppo end (this seems to be a better option than RCA on both ends). And an Apple TV. As much as I love the many things an Oppo can do, Redbook never quite matched the CDX I used to own. The Denafrips will most likely finally let me forget my CDX’s demise. I’m getting a bigger, more detailed organic sound, with greater separation. It just flows better and is less fatiguing. The only gripes I have is loosing SACD play back and more importantly, loosing the ability to turn down the Oppo’s output (I had it’s variable output set to 77) - finding it too hot for my amps. With the Venus the Oppo is at full whack and that puts my 82’s volume just too low. Maybe I need to look into an attenuated interconnect? I also now find myself hoping Denafrips makes another transport!

2 Likes

So no remote with Naim app then i assume?

After a few weeks on demo i have now traded in my music works G3 sparkly bottom for the G4 version. This coincided with swapping the “Signals” demo version of the Innuos Phoenix net switch which had been on order for a new one…happy days.

This is a great sounding amp a real foot tapper. Happy listening :ear: :smiley: :ear:

1 Like

Decided to upgrade my headphones from Meze 99 Classics to Focal Elegias.
Early days because I only got them today and they’ll probably need a week of burn-in to judge them fully.
Initial impressions after 4-5 hours of use are they are very different in tonality.
Already I can tell that the bass of the Elegia is going to be far better technically. The Meze have always had an elevated bass which can be a bit much depending on the track and often sound a little slow, albeit in a nice way. The Elegias have great definition and speed in comparison. Detail is also streets ahead on the Elegia. Very easy to drive and sounding good out of my Nova.
I think this is going to be the start of a beautiful friendship.

14 Likes

Gazza, did you manage to disentangle the improvement from the G4 from that of the PhoenixNet?

Yes…if i had to buy just one…it would be the Phoenix net for reasons already mentioned. I personally feel this is another front end tweak that helps room SQ for me. The Melco switch…just was so soft and flabby…the ER was miles ahead of the Melco, but some like the Melco? I like the ER in front of the Phoenix, its even crisper, but probably not worth the money…but already spent.
I tried the ER>Melco>nd555 and Melco>ER>nd555…the latter had that punchiness or Prat…but you get that without the Melco. As mentioned my dealer preferred the Melco…could be a room tuning issue?
As for the G4…i went back and forth with the old sparkly G3 after a couple of weeks of listening to the Phoenix. Always difficult listening after turning the damn things off to compare…but the G4 is another step up imo.
Probably will now sit it out for a while…speakers for the finale…may be when we move…you know that story.

1 Like

Correct. But I don’t see this anymore either.

Please tell me that is not a bust of Lenin in your living room. :rofl:

4 Likes

Very nice Bert. These both appear to be the latest EX version, so with a collection like yours, I bet the songkong functionality will be a huge bonus, especially for all your classical meta data. Enjoy!

No its not!
A mate sculptor did a Brian Cranston bust for me as I was well into Breaking Bad at the time. Some people think it looks like me but they’re blind.
It’s a bit small for the Elegias tbh.

I can’t help but like the reflection in the remote. Maybe Naim marketing could use it to showcase how classy (glossy) it is :slight_smile: And yes, I thought also Lenin should look happier with Elegias, but it’s the lack of clamping force then …

1 Like