What was the last bit of gear you bought?

It’s funny you mention the reflection because I thought the same myself. I would imagine Lenin clamped down on many an individual.

1 Like

I was leaning more towards Davros. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hehehehe. That’s made my day. I’m not sure there is much space between Lenin and Heisenburg on reflection.

1 Like

Just treated myself to a bit of kit for the bedroom (oh matron):

Just testing it out connected to the main speakers.
It’s a 24/96 got it for an excellent price from a dealer, it’s been extremely well looked after - looks brand new, & the display is in excellent order.
I must say: VERY impressed, so much so that if someone said I could ONLY have this to listen to my music, I wouldn’t be overly unhappy.
Had a ‘UQ2’ in the past & that was the start of the ‘slippery slope’ of ‘empty wallet syndrome’ :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

12 Likes

I love my UQ2 in the bedroom and my Uniti 1 on AV duties in the living room. I wouldn’t mind if either were my main system.

2 Likes

Just taken delivery of some ATC SCM 19s. Replacing Kef R3s. I loved the Kefs but straight out of the box it sounds like every instrument I’m listening to is more real and more present. Voices too. They need 100 hours of run in apparently but I’m already hooked. And I thought the R3s were great too.

2 Likes

Lol. Just got an email that my order shipped. I forgot I ordered some Phantoms with part of my stimulus check.

WH

1 Like

Installed my latest (and final) system upgrades tonight:

• AudioQuest NRG Z3 power cable between mains outlet and AudioQuest Niagara 1200
  • AudioQuest NRG Z3 power cable between AudioQuest Niagara 1200 and the Naim Atom
  • AudioQuest NRG X3 power cable between AudioQuest Niagara 1200 and the Dynaudio Sub 6
  • AudioQuest Pearl toslink cable between the television and the Naim Atom (non HDMI…)

Very very happy with my system. :sunglasses:

BR,
Richard

5 Likes

…this may be more appropriate for the ‘Best Jokes’ thread on this forum!

14 Likes

I thought that if I post it here I need to stick with it. I know, psychology is a strange thing. :yum:

3 Likes

“Final” upgrades… is there such a thing?

6 Likes

a brand new LP12/karousel/majk subchassis/Lingo3/Ittok lv2

9 Likes

Witchhat phantoms have arrived today and duly installed after a quick power down. Initial impressions favourable even straight out of the box. Playing an album I know well and that I listened to recently - Golden age of Wireless by Mr Dolby. Definitely more detail but a little smoother too in comparison with the Chord Shawline cables I have been using. Noticely more bass control. They will be staying! I have also received a morgana interconnect for my NDX2 which will be installed in a few days once the phantoms have run in a bit. Many on here have extolled the virtue of the phantoms and I can see why!

Andy

An update in this matter: I received the old NDX back from the dealer and played around with both the ND5XS2 and the NDX over the weekend. A/B testing with mainly the Getz/Gilberto high res recording local over my NAS. Findings: the functional benefits outweigh a couple of things in the end. Yes, the NDX feels a bit more in control, it makes you think it can handle a lot more and makes me wonder what a psu would do… The 5xs2 is more “in my face”. For the recording we used: the NDX2 sounded a bit vailed, but more analogue. The 5xs2 more musical, a feeling of wider soundstage, unvailed, maybe a bit more digital. Speaking in the smallest of margins and our own feelings of course.

For the budget: the choice is to refund and keep the ndx, or keep the nd5xs2 for a couple of years. We are very happy to keep it and audition a ndx2 with a psu in the future.

A very (!) nice thing: the airplay 2 function of the nd5xs2 means I could get the AVR (denon) out of the rack. No need for that anymore as Apple TV had audio out over airplay. Wonderful!

1 Like

I found the XPSdr on the original NDX made it sound like a high end analogue source (but not vinyl). And to me this was great. If your network is solid and you’re fine with the older functionality, the old NDX is a very formidable source. A few people on the old forum felt adding an XPSdr made it lose some attack. I felt it was more grown up and wearing longer trousers with the PSU.

1 Like

I almost threw away the cable and just kept the box😮

13 Likes

Richard, is there a big improvement SQ wise? I mean do you hear a Niagara 1200 “within seconds” when switching it on? Some folks say that the SQ improvement gives you darker backround and more details?

Ordered today Melco D100 CD ripper.

4 Likes

In my case it was immediately apparent that the SQ improved with the Niagara 1200: added dynamics, deeper bass, and more ‘blackness’ in the performance, if that makes sense. It was not a day and night difference but definitely immediately audible.

A friend of mine has a Niagara 5000 on his Classé Audio CP800mkII and CA-2300 and it really felt like he had added an octave in the lower bass. Really amazing how this already very good setup even improved further.

3 Likes

Great analogy!