What was the last bit of gear you bought?

Alas there is no effective treatment or cure …

1 Like

If there is you won’t find the contact details here.

2 Likes

Yes especially on this thread

1 Like

I’m with both of you on this, but I’m troubled by the lack of money reaching the artists by this means. There’s a part of me that still wants to make sure I pay the artist. It’s a bit like me paying monthly for Radio Paradise. Work has gone into giving me a product that I value, and somehow I’m not sure that enough of what I pay goes to the artist. The ease though and quality of Qobuz is wonderful.

3 Likes

I agree that artists should get more and I wouldnt object to paying a bit more to qobuz to acheive that end.

4 Likes

It’s a good point but is is better for an artist to sell a thousand hard copies or a million on streaming services? I don’t know the answer but there are some multimillionaires being created right now via ‘influencers’ who have nothing but a sharp hair do and know how to post a video on Youtube. I’m sure the artists agents are on the case.

Although the music business(including some artists) has never been “fair” to performers or composers, only a very very few make it

1 Like

One of the problems with the music industry is that they are looking for fast turnover, artists that can make them a quick buck, rather than invest in talent over the long term. Most new artists sink without trace - especially from so called talent shows.

2 Likes

Away from the gloss of the pop world, there are thousands of artists making music, touring and working hard. I meet loads of them through WemsFest, which promotes live music and few are rich. They sell CDs, tour extensively and sometimes teach and run workshops and many have been doing it for decades. Some have albums on streaming platforms; I’ll have to ask them how much they make.

3 Likes

It would be interesting to get some background information. I have become much more aware of the number of talented artists out there making a living at what they love to do.

A thousand hard copies. By some margin.

1 Like

Interesting.Why do the agents, record companies etc allow this?

There are many very talented young folk out there going into a performance career from music, dance, theatre schools, the opportunities are few and the competition is fierce professional musicians I know personally rely on a mixture of teaching, weddings, gigs, recording sessions

1 Like

Making a living is relative though. Let’s say a five piece makes £300 a gig - £60 each before fuel, and associated costs. How many bands gig five/six days p/w?

Good point

The major record companies allow/want it to happen. It means they have no manufacturing and distribution costs, get shedloads of data they can use, and can keep a tighter grip on artists and the industry. And the money they get off streaming mainstream artists is colossal.

And because for the vast majority of punters, streaming is cheap and convenient. The creators of music are right at the bottom of the food chain I am afraid.

2 Likes

Quote from my girl friend sat next to me: “Weaning you off, one cable at a time!” :joy:

5 Likes

Has autocorrect stepped in here Neil?

2 Likes

Teaching is now so important in the music industry that it is in danger of becoming a kind of pyramid scheme. In America, the jazz education (teaching people how to play jazz) business is bigger than the actual jazz business!

1 Like

Nope… as intended!

1 Like