What was the last bit of gear you bought?

I have been enjoying Qobuz and impressed by the SQ but like others I am concerned about the impact streaming has on the industry. Mind you I have no sympathy for record companies as I feel they treat consumers and (most) artists with contempt.

I’d be happy with an increase in subscription if I knew it was going to the artists.

3 Likes

Solstice Special Edition along with a friend’s LP collection (800+ LPs and 100+ CDs) who unfortunately passed away due to cancer complications very recently.

3 Likes

The Bands that Tour make Money! Think Dave Matthews Band, The Dead, Neil Young, etc. that’s really where the cash is. It’s not in downloads. And kids don’t buy nearly as much physical media. But people in their 20’s and more go see lots of live shows. I know my 28 yr old sure does.

1 Like

But the bands/artists you mention are all long-established and successful. Their tour gigs attendances will number in the 1000’s.

(Guessing about the first one - know only be name)

1 Like

You’ve never listened Dave Matthews Band?

A brand new, made in China TEAC PD-301 DAB CD Player/Tuner.

I wanted to remain loyal to NAIM, but I need the S/PDIF output for an experiment.

8 Likes

5 Likes

You even get a nice bag for your Tommy Cooper magic tricks😉

4 Likes

8 Likes

:grinning:

2 Likes

I don’t know Tommy Cooper, but imagine easily the Chord bag on his head. Hopefully there is a picture :laughing:

Please tell us about the experiment, does it involve a CD transport ?

I think I’ve read some nice comments about that particular machine ?

Dear @Ian2001,

Listening to the Teac now. Optical into my Chord Hugo 2 it sounds very nice, but I think Hugo does most of the work.

The experiment is about upsampling. At the moment I am just testing some hardware and software options to find an easy way to manage very high sampled signals and files.

Then I will make some more difficult, subjective test. The aim is to put in my rack a convenient but high quality sounding CD player.

The little fella arrived today. 31 years old and sounding absolutely delightful. In case anyone doesn’t recognise it, it’s a Nat 02.

34 Likes

Very nice, Nigel. Still a great looking (and sounding) tuner. I enjoyed my 02.

No he had a bag of tricks………apparently very silly, but he was a great magician.

1 Like

Apart all his tricks, he was also advertising Chord cables.

1 Like

I picked up my newly purchased used EE 8switch yesterday. The most cost effective upgrade ever. Just sooo good :ok_hand:

12 Likes

It continues to amaze me that Naim keeps performing at its best after decades of service (providing regular services are observed) – it gives me comfort (if that is the right way of expressing myself) to know that our/my Naim boxes are not produced for quick replacement (like iPhones, LG TVs and alike) but are there to give joy for a very long time.

Lovely piece of kit HH. Smart move with last years apparent 10 year renewal of FM . Is that the Gardiner Prom you have going there?