What was the last bit of gear you bought?

Yes, but in the 80s and 90s it reigned .

So pleased when I could afford a stereo one , and feed it through my Arcam or Naim . I could now watch films and hear them in stereo

The two wrapped together are from the Williams of Juan Pablo Montoya, a souvenir when I visited the Williams F1 museum some years ago. The one on top of the VCR is a NASCAR part, I don’t know it’s origin. I bought the Williams one as a Valentines gift for my wife !

Totally agree! I have a pioneer 4k Blu-ray player, Denon AV-Amp, Sony 55" screen and Kef flat centre and surround speakers. Put the main L & R channels through the Naim system and its fantastic. The quality of 4k both visually and SQ is wonderful.

2 Likes

…and I still prefer the physical media to streaming - some of the mantalab or bluefans packages are stunning.
I’ve bought a few that were bluray and added the 4k disc - waiting to see what the 4k of Looper looks like.
I’ve a Matrix set (green foil box) that started as DVDs and now houses 4k.

Totally with you. The 4K discs are fabulous.

1 Like

…though of course, 8k will be coming at some point as the TVs are already here…

Spares for the VHS player, no doubt

5 Likes

Just wondered as I work for a company that manufactures gearboxes for motor sport .

1 Like

Any update on Gaia install?

S

They arrive in an hour or so :+1:

Unfortunately, my downstairs neighbour is ill so no loud (ish) music on speakers today. But looking forward to the install. Hopefully, they may lessen the amount of bass the neighbours could be subjected to…
I was wondering overnight whether to try the Gaias without carpet spikes and use two Fraim-spec glass plates I have knocking around…sort of faking a hard floor. Worth a shot as it would make the speakers easier to reposition.

I found they worked better for me using a couple of pieces of granite. I couldn’t get the spikes to work as they didn’t penetrate the carpet and left the peakers very unstable (Dynaudio Evoke 30 floorstanders).

1 Like

Echoing @Mav74, I got two granite chopping boards for about £35 each and have my speakers stood on those. Interesting though I’ve got normal spikes onto Naim chips. I’m intrigued about using the Gaia 3s for my Aria 926s.

1 Like

Thanks @Mav74.
I was thinking that as the Gaia is isolating, 10mm glass would be effectively the same as another material (obviously granite would be heavier I guess). I’ll bear granite in mind…might or might not be easier to persuade my wife, for one.

I wholeheartedly concur… you never know when you may find a use for something in the future

1 Like

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

My Piega 701s came with 4 different “feet”; stick-on pads, spikes, small discs for the spikes to sit on and rubber/steel feet. As they are sitting on thick carpet with thick underlay I tried the spikes first. The I switched to the rubber/ steel feet. I prefer the feet as the sound is more, for want of a better word, natural. The speakers will move if rocked whereas with the spikes they would not.

Are they the wireless speakers? Certainly look lovely.

No, they are wired to my NAP200DR. But they certainly do look good in the anodised black finish. They sound terrific too!

1 Like

It’s here, now listening to Lucy in the sky with diamonds.

Wonderful, my wife’s away with daughter until tomorrow so, I have time to play.

24 Likes

I’d had my speakers on solid oak plinths for years, but the new CD and amp tightened up the sound so much that a lot more bass was being transmitted downstairs. I made a couple of H shapes from oak bannister staves.
Now I have the speaker spikes into cups on the H and spikes and cups down into the thin carpet and floor. Made a huge difference to sound going down and reduced a lot of boom I had thought was from room / wall proximity, so improved SQ as well.

1 Like