What was the last bit of gear you bought?

I’ve finally changed my KEF 104/2 speakers which I’ve enjoyed since the late 1980s! Just taken delivery of a pair of ATC SMC40s. Still warming up, but so far very impressed.

7 Likes

Picked up a used CD5i-2.

1 Like

A nice Sieveking headphone stand for my recently acquired HD800S :headphones: :exclamation: :sunglasses:

CK

1 Like

Fraim Lite with added glass and SL speaker cables, all delivered and nicely installed by my dealer. When you upgrade 2 things at once it’s hard to work what’s made the difference, but my system certainly sounds better than it ever has. Happy days.

3 Likes

I got my WitchHat Phantom speaker cables delivered yesterday. They are a 10m pair with upgraded AudioQuest 500 series silver banana at both ends for termination. Out of the box I really like what I hear compared to my old 7m pair of NACA5.

7 Likes

Great to hear…keep us updated

1 Like

What’s your impression of the Orea’s now you’ve had a chance to let them settle?
Thinking of getting some myself for my Innuos Zenith.

@anon5056134

I can say its been a positive improvement in terms of definition and detail

They are used under my CDP

But i am in no mood to experiment by taking them off to see if i like the sound better without them

That means - they arent doing anything wrong… right ?? :grinning:

OTOH - having said this - a friend ( very knowledgeable / experienced / good ears ) of mine has pointed me to a USD 1 tweak / option

If you like i can tell you what to look for…

I will be trying that by the month end.

My thinking is that more ( or same ) can be had for less money.

I hope it helps you

regards

A SuperCap DR (2013) - much as I love my SuperCap 2, it does have a bit of a humming transformer, not too bad but…
And the DR seller assures me there’s no hum with this one :slight_smile:

1 Like

A bit of a high risk commitment, if it’s your mains interacting with the transformer… :grinning:

@Eoink
Gawd, I hope not. My XS2, SN3 and one of my HCDRs didn’t (don’t) hum…so I’m keeping my fingers crossed it’s on a box by box basis, rather than inherently a mains problem…gulp… :anguished:

1 Like

Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Everything crossed!

1 Like

Enjoy Chris - they’re one very serious speaker indeed on the end of naim amplification!! Even stuff you didn’t think was particularly well recorded just sounds so live, dynamic, clear and punchy!

As for me, I have finally invested in a dedicated phono stage for the Gyrodec and so have added a latest gen Mk3 Trichord Dino and Never Connected power supply as my latest upgrade. At first I felt its portrayal was a little bright but it now seems to have settled down very nicely and is now revealing far more detail, spacial information and nuance than the phono boards in my NAC82, I’m loving it now!

Jonathan

1 Like

I just paid for two preloved PowerLines, adding to the one I have. Now each of SCDR, XPSDR, 300 PS DR will have them. I should try one on my phonostage to see how it is.

1 Like

I’ve still have 2 to go as well. I’d be interested to hear what improvement it makes to finish the loom.

1 Like

I have have two Supercap DRs and one Supercap 2. I can never hear the DRs humming but the 2 has an intermittent growl every now and then. Doesn’t prove anything but hopeful for you. I’m thinking along the same lines.

1 Like

If it proves to be beneficial it sounds like one for the Best Tweaks thread,

@marksnaim
Yes, I’m hopeful as the SC2 is not an intermittent hum, it’s always present from switch on to switch off. So just a noisy transformer I hope :crossed_fingers:

Thanks Jonathan

The ATCs are already impressive though no doubt they’ll further improve over the next few weeks.

Congratulations on your upgrades. I’m glad their successful.