What was the last bit of gear you bought?

@DrDavid and @anon93526344 - Glass/cups/balls are now under the two main sources, the LP12 and the Oppo SACD/CD/hi-res player.

Initial impressions of the fruitbox (which sits on an old Sound Organisation table) are that it does seem to have tightened the sound up a fair bit so I’m happy with what has been a simple and cheap upgrade (less than £40).

Will let you know what it does to the Oppo later, when I do a bit of CD/SACD listening.

5 Likes

soundcare superspikes.
I will install them under the Skylan stands for the Harbeth P3esr.
The stands are already 3/4 filled with rice as recommended.
After filling the stands there was an overall improvement, a wider scene, more focused instruments but I still have a tail at the bass.
I bought them by reading the many positive reviews, very often they have been used to achieve my goal of having a more controlled and articulated bass.
They will arrive on Tuesday, fingers crossed.

4 Likes

Hi suzywong

I’ve done a forum search for the Shanti power supply and was wondering what it brought to the Allo USBridgeSig/DigiOneSig for you?

Thanks, MaxiMe

IMG_0502

A Pro-Ject DS2 Phono box (valve) , I have a Clearaudio Emotion and the Rega Fono wasn’t really getting the best out of it.

Put Diamonds & Rust on by Joan Baez and it was wonderful, followed by Eva Cassidy’s Songbird and I was very, very happy.

Upside - good sound and good value
Downside - buttons are fiddly

3 Likes

Treated my 282 to a second hicap dr, as much to relieve the lock down boredom as anything. One of the few things I’ve bought without hearing but figured i could always put it on my stageline if I didn’t like it. Really pleased with the improvement however so its most certainly staying on the 282

Interesting Dayjay, what effect has it had would you say?

This is an interesting one as it doesn’t look like many do it or use a Supercap instead of Hicap/s on the 282.

Interesting how it fairs to the 252 in that configuration.

More space and separation were the first impressions which allowed more detail to be heard and, to me anyway, more realism. There was an increase in lower register detail to the degree I had to play around with my speaker positioning to take the base a little. I’m.hearing things, especially in the lower registers, ive never heard before. Very happy with the results

Peter from Cymbiosis supplied my 25th wedding anniversary from my wife. Rega Planar 8 with Rega Apheta 3 cartridge Aria v2 phono stage and Chord shawline RCA/DIN interconnect.

Very happy bunny. Had to order two further Naim Fraim levels… so just waiting for those.

24 Likes

Two isolated power supplies in one box!

How are you getting the stream from the RPi to your Uniti?

Doesn’t look like you have a spdif HAT there.

The Uniti is still the renderer.

The RPi just makes the Uniti look like an Open Home renderer so other controllers can tell it what to do. I use the Bubble UPnP App on my Android phone as one controller and Linn Kazoo on my Windows laptop as another. The advantage of using other controllers for me is that they can tell the Uniti where Qobuz is and what I want it to play (it’s just a list of URL’s, but the API or some other technical point is beyond the old streamers capabilities).

The other thing that Bubble UPnP Server does is intercept the audio stream (FLAC, ALAC, etc) and transcode it to WAV for a small uplift in audio quality.

Stream from NAS or Qobux in FLAC, ALAC, etc --network–> RPi --> Stream in WAV --network --> Uniti

And an improvement in sound?

7 Likes

If you compare the Shanti against a bog standard RPi supply, even with a battery pack for the clean supply to the DigiOneSig, then yes, the improvement into my nDAC is well worth the £200

If you compare the Shanti to my other (RPi) supply, which is a Cuinas Audio Supercapacitor-PS then there’s not a lot in it. The Cuinas and the Shanti cost about the same, the Cuinas has two paralleled outputs, whereas the Shanti’s are isolated. Allo state that two isolated supplies are best.

I already had the Cuinas before the Shanti was released, and as I needed a PSU anyway for another RPi streamer into a Linn Numerik in the Aktiv Briks system, I bought a Shanti to try it out, rather than another Cuinas.

Both are very fine PSUs at a reasonable price point. I would be happy with either in the context to an RPi based digital streamer.

Forumite npbf (sorry if I’ve got the letters wrong) has looked into this in some detail; try and find his posts here and on the audiophilestyle forum.

But, as ever, YMMV.

2 Likes

I have them … excellent choice … my speakers required 3 per … wonderful … my floor is made up of textured slate tiles so I was concerned about levelling the speakers … the Soundcare spikes are actually self levelling … do good things to the music too.

1 Like

which speakers do you use it under? what are the differences you felt before and after?

Very interesting to see how often the RP8 and RP10 turntables show up on this forum.

Suspect they are eating into a lot of Majik LP12 sales

I have them under the Pure Project Audio Trio 15 Classics … a largish speaker at 48in high, 28in wide and 16in deep … and I’m afraid I’ve misled you, the speakers came with these feet by default so I have no idea regarding improvements as a result of them being fitted. I just know they sound good.

The RP8 is significantly cheaper than the LP12, so I don’t really think that’s affecting its sales that much. The rp10 and planar 10 probably are.

There’s just a lot right about it, for us. Price/performance/simplicity. And despite how light the platterless tt is, it actually exudes a nice, quality, feel.

1 Like