What was the last bit of gear you bought?

Chrome bumper look would be cool. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

You have strange colors Mike :smile:

3 Likes

After long deliberation, I’ve decided to add vinyl to my audio experience. No pictures (yet), but last week I got myself a well-maintained Dual CS 522 turntable from the local 2nd hand marketplace. I’ve also ordered a Schiit Mani phono preamp from the factory in the US, since they’re not available anywhere in Europe (sold out with no indication when they will have stock). It should be arriving next Wednesday.
Tomorrow I’m going to the city to buy my first records. And a basic cleaning set.
I’m looking forward to actually playing a record for the first time on my system!

11 Likes

Enjoy yourself :+1:

1 Like

The old AE-1’s sound lovely with my new Atom, but I concede that the pairing is not great due to a significant lack of bass. Time for an upgrade?

Last weekend, I accidentally fell into the local HiFi shop (yeah, I know that inexplicably happens to you too, doesn’t it?!) On explaining my dilemma and with the desire to keep things minimalist/compact, the dealer suggested and demoed a set of Fyne Audio R700 speakers that he paired to his Atom. I was passively aware of Fyne Audio from HiFi magazines and websites etc but had not considered them before. However, I was simply blown away by what they produced! I am no audiophile, but my word, these really are fantastic sounding little speakers. Pretty in Walnut too…

I’ve been close to pulling the trigger all week, but a pair of ex-demo Fyne Audio F1-5 came up yesterday afternoon on eBay in the UK. The seller, it transpires, is a HiFi dealer who was a neighbour of mine when we lived in the UK - our kids were friends at school… Small world.

Anyway, an email from UPS informs me that they will arrive here next Wednesday :slight_smile: Never laid eyes on F1-5’s before and they don’t appear to available here in Switzerland - the Fyne dealer here hadn’t even heard of them.

The F1-5 is the baby of Fyne’s F1 series, as the R700 is the baby to their R700 series, so I am rather naively relying on the assumption that I’ve bought a similar sounding speaker, but on their more exclusive line. Hope so!

My new Chord Shawline speaker cables also arrived today, so very much looking forward to completing the system :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Had a problem with P10 hanging over the front of the Fraim shelf,so had to buy glass isolation platform (to allow P10 to be moved back) Really pleased,almost looks like it was made for P10,plus absolutely no change that I can hear in sq.

11 Likes

After much deliberation I’ve gone with Auralic Aries Mini / MCRU Long Dog Audio Linear PSU which I got for about the same price as the in offer Bluesound Node 2i. I preferred the idea of adding an on board SSD drive to the Mini.

After auditioning a lovely pair of ATC SC40As at home - courtesy of those nice people at Lintone Audio - I decided to partner them with my 7 year old Superuniti. I’d already listened to the passive SC40s, coupled to a Nova at Lintone, and the speakers were staggeringly good; however, the active variants were always going to be something else: they’ve got all of the “heft” I was looking for but, in addition, they’re so detailed and revealing… oh, I could go on and on. What a purchase! Suffice to say, the improvement has been dramatic. The new speakers are only the first stage of my upgrade master-plan, of course, given that SWMBO has actually said, “Just get what you want; it all sounds the same to me!”. I know… I’m shaking my head as I type! I’m considering two options at present: 1. Wait for the NAC-N 272 replacement to arrive (if it ever happens?), then pair that with the XPS or, 2. Go for the NDX 2, a NAC 282 and a HiCap. For me, I’ve made the decision that streaming is to be the way forward, as you’ll have surmised, and it has to be Naim. I have auditioned the Aries G2 and Vega G2 with the ATCs and, in my opinion , through these 60 year old ears, the Superuniti was better… or, perhaps to be fair, the Naim sound was the one I preferred. Any advice on my next moves is always welcome. Please ignore the dog’s toys in the photo; they have no impact on the SQ!

13 Likes

Feel the dog was not outside since a lot of time :rofl:

7 Likes

…congratulations on the ATC SCM 40A’s! Love them, just an awesome pair of speakers!

She’s usually on my knee, frenchrooster, enjoying anything from Radiohead to Ravel. A dog with good musical taste indeed. As for her sister… well, that’s another matter altogether. She’ll howl at anything she disapproves of. Life is never boring with Dachshunds!

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree with you more, seakayaker! Initially, I had reservations about the active route but now I have no regrets. As a large cat called Anthony, with a taste for breakfast cereal, would say, “They’re great!”.

Welcome to the ATC SCM active club!

Thanks for the warm welcome, PaulW👍

These:

9 Likes

curious as to whether you did any listening to the comparable Harbeth ? Not exactly sure what model in the harbeth line that would be>

It would be the C7.

I have not. A pair of the new Harbeth 30.2 XD should be in the shop soon—that is the model based on the LS5/9. These Grahams sound amazing. Love the aesthetic too compared to the Harbeth.

Graham gets lots of raving comments and are by many preferred over Harbeth. Would love to have a listen but no reseller here in Sweden as far as I know :man_shrugging:

Comparable Harbeth to the Graham LS5/9 is the 30.1, 30.2

1 Like