What was the last bit of gear you bought?

Great to hear … about the Apogee’s what sort of volume can the Krell 80B give you … comfortably…can you get around 90dB out of the system…I expect you have quite a generous listening space…

I wonder if a Naim Statement would drive those beautiful panels???

I need a new hifi shelf/rack before I can try these out.

4 Likes

Installed them today;

6 Likes

Wavac! How they sound these Japanese monos?

Not sure the NAP S1 can handle the “pretty constant one ohm” that @bailyhill mentioned

They sounded very dull with the stock cheap ass no brand Chinese 805 tubes they came with from the factory but once I change these to a matched pair of Psvane 805-T/2’s, the difference was night and day, they sound sensational with these.

3 Likes

Hello Richieroo

Yes I can get comfortably 90 db out of the system. My volume control goes to 100, and I usually casually listen at 50, but when looking to stroll, I turn it up to 60. Not sure what that corresponds to on the Krell, but there is no sign of distress.

I have not tried a Statement, and only have to go what my dealer was told, which was that one ohm was not recommended. From past experience, and I am not an amplifier designer, but from experience of what customers related to us about the one ohm performance, it seemed that amplifiers that doubled their power at each step from 8 to 4 to 2 to 1 ohm, were the amplifiers that customers were happy with, and showed no signs of distress, or even lack of PRAT to put it in Naim terms. Krells of that day did exactly that. Dan also believed that this was true. The 9Kw Statement output into one ohm in a burst is impressive. Doing the math, that suggests that the Statement would dump almost 95 amps into one ohm in a burst. You best have a 200 amp wall service if you have anything else running.

1 Like

Hi Bailyhill, If you win at the lottery, the Boulder 3060 should drive your Scintillas.

STEREO POWER AMPLIFIER

• PEAK POWER, 8 OHMS

900W

• PEAK POWER, 4 OHMS

1650W

• PEAK POWER, 2 OHMS

3000W

• THD, 8 OHMS, 900W

20-2 kHz: 0.0006%, 20 kHz: 0.0025%

• THD, 4 OHMS, 900W

20-2 kHz: 0.0008

3 Likes

Alternatively for your lottery win, there’s the Naim Statement with up to 9kW burst power into 1 ohm.

7 Likes

Richard…is the Statement stable at 1 ohm at say 100watts … its a serious question…I might win the lottery!!!

1 Like

I think you’d have to ask Steve Sells at Naim, but the 9kW burst power at 1 ohm is Naim’s own quoted specification.

This DAC V1 that I bought second hand arrived today. To say I am impressed is an understatement. I’ve set it up as a second system in my study and I’m streaming from my Mac into the DAC V1 and listening on Beyerdynamic Amiron’s. Sublime.

17 Likes

I really like the audio headphone port. I am very interested and undecided whether to take it in walnut or white. I have white furniture but parquet floor Giordano km31 walnut … :thinking::thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

Comes with free Tangerine? :smiley:

Or optional Mandarine?

1 Like

A bargain at 150k , with a free tangerine :tangerine:.

1 Like

Serious (potentially stupid) questions…how do you stream from a Mac into the v1? Is it wired or wireless? And what is amplifying the headphones? Thx

It’s wired, a USB A-B cable from my Mac to the DAC V1. I’m using Roon on my Mac to stream my backup files from my Uniti Core, you can also via Roon seamlessly stream Tidal or Qobuz if you have a subscription. The DAC V1 doubles as a pretty handy headphone amp and works a treat.

3 Likes

Well send me a Statement for home demo, and I will hook it up to my Apogee Scintillas and we will know the answer. As I have said, my dealer asked the question to Naim about 3 years ago when I started to assemble my system with the Apogees, and the word from Naim was to not use a Naim Amp into 1 ohm.

I would love to try 9Kw into 1 ohm. That suggests 95 amps. Wow! Of course the real question is how will is sound doing that?

1 Like

I had the DAC V1 for a few months and loved it, think it would make a great headphone amp. Imo very underrated.

2 Likes