What was the last bit of gear you bought?

The jigsaw is being completed piece by piece.

7 Likes

Cirrus7 nimbini media edition, fanless NUC10i5, 16GB RAM, 250 GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus for Roon ROCK, 4 TB Samsung 860 EVO for data.

I know, overspecced for Roon, but this way it is more than future proof and it was hard not to click on stuff during configuration because it was always just 50 Euros here or there (well except for the 4 TB SSD :smiley: ). Also, came out at the same price as the basic Nucleus and after all the spending this year who cares anymore :smiley:

9 Likes

And it doubles up as a toaster :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Potential for some useful mods as well…

8 Likes

Makes your eyes water!

1 Like

Isoacoustics Delos- nice lift in mid range and bass tighter. Excellent second hand purchase.

5 Likes

Ha! Well it’s a server and will be out of sight. My bigger problem will be a solution to hide the PowerIgel Plus …

Looks good btw, eggs aside. It’s a passive cooling fanless design I assume?

Exactly. Size is 157 x 157 x 120 mm. Going to set up Roon tonight, very excited :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Would it take two harddrives for redundancy?

Jus got a battery to power the clean side of my new Allo digione signature.

2 Likes

To power a what?

The clean side of my digione signature transport board

6 Likes

I don’t even know what it is but I still want one

5 Likes

No, and Roon Rock as far as I know cannot back up to a second internal disk anyway, but it can back up to a NAS over local network or to a Dropbox storage.

Edit: Of course if you want to use it for something else than a Roon Core, there are already two hard disk slots, one is an M.2 NVMe and one is a 2.5" SATA 3 slot. It’s just ROCK uses the first disk for its operating system and database, and the second for the music files

OK, one hour into Roon and I love it already. The cirrus7 was a plug-and-play setup with everything installed and up to date. All great :+1:

4 Likes

I’d want to use RAID for redundancy, so would be looking for something which allows for two identical hard drives. Shame, as I really like the Cirrus7 you posted otherwise.

The RAID is in the NAS that it backs up to. Makes no sense to put it in the same machine really (for the Roon purpose at least)

(Edit: I believe all NUCs are limited to two HDs, but may be wrong. And cirrus7 has other fanless models that are not based on the NUC platform and have more slots for HDs. But ROCK only supports NUC officially, on other platforms it may work but without guarantees)

1 Like

I do as @Suedkiez does and have the RAID in the NAS for backups.

I actually do this the other way round though. I view my ‘master’ storage as the NAS and this is what is mapped to my computer. Using Hybrid Backup Sync which runs on my NAS there’s a real time sync job which pushes a copy over to the Roon Rock as soon as a file is added, changed or deleted on the NAS. It’s really quick and by the time the overview page in Roon is refreshed the new album has been copied over and appears.

Should the hard drive fail in the Rock it’s a simple matter of pointing Rock at the NAS temporarily until a new drive is sourced for the Roon appliance. Then once fitted the sync job would kick in, copy all the files over and Roon could once more be pointed back to the Rock for the source of the music.

Hybrid Backup Sync on QNAP’s is really good, I have other jobs which backup to the cloud and another NAS for further peace of mind.

3 Likes

Roon is the best thing that I ever came across when it comes to my experience in the mechanics of listening and discovering new music… Can’t imagine how things would be without it… I run my core on a dedicated headless NUC with an external USB drive for the media content, I back this up automatically on a regular schedule to my NAS so everything is safe and secure…

2 Likes