What was the last bit of gear you bought?

My other half is at work and I’ve just settled down to listen to a few LP’s the new VMN60SLC stylus is snapped on and straight out of the wrapper it’s sounding rather lovely playing my brand new remastered and beautifully pressed copy of Ballads for Two,
What does she know anyway!

3 Likes

I think you listed your other cartridges previously but I can’t remember/find which they were. Also you mentioned sticking with MM. As, like you, I’m planning to stick with MM as well for the foreseeable future, just wondering if you can say something about top AT vs Nagaoka or Ortofon MM/MI ? Thanks.

I cannot speak highly enough of the Audio Technica MM’s that I’ve tried I bought a 150EA a couple of years ago after an accident with reasonably expensive Moving Coil that left it dead and buried.

I’ve now tried three different stylus on the 150 body the nude elliptical it came with a Shibata and now their top of the range MM a Special line Contact I would have lived happily with the Shibata but Amazon are selling the VMN60SCL for £300 it’s usually between £479 -499 so it was a real bargain.

I cannot comment on Ortofon or Nagaoka MM’s as I’ve not tried them but for their versatility the Audio Technicas are hard to beat their VM740ML at £279 is great value and by all accounts compares extremely favourably with one I now have at almost treble the price and of course the real beauty comes when you need a new stylus a replacement VMN40ML is £185 or of course you can try the VMN50SH or the VMN60SLC.

The AT’s have a house sound they are quite bright sounding so suit something like my Quad amps which are quite warm sounding perfectly.

3 Likes

Let us know what they’re like once you’ve had a good listen. Cheers!

So much written on the various switch threads about the Uptone EtherRegen that I won’t go into too much detail, but this has had a pretty transformational effect on the sound of my music system. Thanks again to @Michaelb for lending me one of his fully run in units to help show me the way. It really was particularly useful in this case, given that the first 100 hours of burn in were very bumpy. It helped to have had a glimpse of the final destination in advance!

4 Likes

I will update further when they’ve ran in a little but it’s fair to say new out of the box they are quite impressive. Haven’t had a huge amount of time to play as yet.

1 Like

So what the difference vs the Cisco for you?
Are you going to add an lps? Because I remember you asked me about the MCRU.

Hi FR, Probably will try an LPS. Thinking Paul Hynes 4T maybe. I’d like some of that deeper richness and mature fruitfulness that you described so well on the switch thread. It’s maybe the one area of advantage that the Cisco has over the ER in my system. But it’s not a a close decision as there’s no going back from the ER’s resolution, detail, speed, variety of instrumental timbre, colour, PRAT and spinetingliness…

1 Like

We are using same words but differently apparently, because, for me, fruitfulness and diversity of timber and colors are the same ( In my representation).
So what means fruitfulness for you?
The unique advantage I see in the Cisco, vs the ER, is the body. Cisco, vs ER alone, sounds fuller. But with a good ps on ER, this Cisco advantage disappears.
ER discriminates more and gives more nuances. Cisco tends to homogenize .

Sounds like a banana and plays like a lemon?

1 Like

I bought a new TV today. Current 2020 model Sony A8H 65” OLED . It was on sale for $1000.00 off, free delivery and 2 years interest free financing, I just so love using OPM …from the reviews I read it actually out performs last years best set the A9G… I’ve wanted OLED for years, the prices have dropped so much recently.

2 Likes

Early Linn Saras and Linn Kan mk1. I wanted to buy Saras back in the day but my olive Nait 2 would have struggled. Frank Denson of Soundline Audio wouldn’t sell a second hand pair to me on that basis. My current Supernait 2 is driving them well and the Kans too. They aren’t as refined or revealing as my usual Harbeth SHL5s, but the prat - wow!! The Kans do that trick where I go to put on a single track, and can’t stop listening until the album is finished… Squawk boxes or not - they make me smile from ear to ear!

4 Likes

Congrats, totally agree; had a Phoenix on trial from the dealer for a couple of weeks and just decided to keep it. Great addition to my active system.

1 Like

A few Black Week bargains I just couldn’t resist! --> Naim DAC and IsoTek Evo3 Solus.

4 Likes

Tidy!

G

11 Likes

Very tempting!

1 Like

eR -

1 Like

What is it G?

English Electric (Chord) 8Switch. See topic of that title for my impressions.

G

1 Like

For a clean Stylus

5 Likes