What was the last CD you bought

I have lost count as tend to buy 2 or 3 at a time online, certainly one of the more recent was Muddy Waters Folk Singer, this was a German produced CD early 00s release. The recording quality and mastering are some of the best I think I have heard digitally, it literally felt like he was in the room, real presence, not hi-fi more live/real, not sure if my new speaker cable from Townshend played a part but I can’t rate this CD high enough.

1 Like

10 Likes

I do love a film score. My system agrees with me on that point!

1 Like

Interestingly I’m now getting Err every time I load this ABBA disc in. Is the £2.99 I paid just for a limited number of plays?

Thankfully that Err message is only on this disc. Phew!

Best news you could have in my opinion! :grinning:

2 Likes

There’s no information in your profile, but if you have a Naim CD player, is there a faintly unpleasant noise first as the mechanism tries to spin the disc? Does the Err appear just after that? If so, you might need the masking tape solution:

Mark

1 Like

Thanks for that response. Yes, it’s a naim from the mid 90s. It does sometimes make that mechanical screeching/skidding noise but thankfully rarely and not on this particular disc.

I’ve never thought about masking tape for the CDs that do slip. I’ll give that a try. I did buy an additional puck a few years back, which did seem to do the trick. For this disc however I’m baffled but I think @Neilb1906 was hinting the inability to play it is probably a blessing!

The masking tape solution is surprisingly effective (IME). On pucks, the other thing I find is that the rubber rings can get a bit oily over time, so gentle wipe with a cotton bud soaked in isopropyl alcohol sometimes helps restore some grip.

Mark

1 Like

I have an envelope full of puck rubbers if you’d like them. These can be changed with tweezers, although not, of course, if you have a puck on which the rubber rings are bonded (CDS, CDI).

I bought a Tribble

3 Likes

5 Likes

I had the very same issue with my CD5 where it would just not play certain discs, this was sent back to Naim and fully tested, the issue was quite simply different thickness of CD’s and the clamp. Advice from Naim was, do not leave clamp on its base when not in use, due to the magnet, the rubber grips on the puck were being squeezed thus losing their overall tension. You of course buy replacement pucks but also manipalate the rubber rings on the underside of the puck, seems like an easier solution to adding to the base of the CD.

Should that not be Bruce Springsteen and Thine Street Band? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Two more SACDs for the collection – Can’s Soon Over Babaluma and Flow Motion.

8 Likes

Donald Fagen Sunken Condos / 2012 Reprise / Japan CD / WPCR14718

Another one for the DF collection.

12 Likes

Updating my Pineapple Thief collection. A couple of years behind - cheaper that way!!

Same with this, although a few months rather than two years.

Surprised I held out that long!

10 Likes

You must have a fair few of those @GeoffC

1 Like

They all get played regularly. I would like to add just a couple more promo CD singles if they appear at a good price.

15 Likes

Nice collection there @GeoffC. Still have no DF albums yet but probably will soon.

1 Like

New artist for me. Thanks to the Naim forum for advice, I followed an old thread.
I checked them out first via YouTube. Wow, so beautifully played. I love the music. I cannot wait to listen to these properly.

4 Likes