What was the last CD you bought

Just arrived from across the pond (Presto). Mahler Symphonies 5 and 7 conducted by Ivan Fischer and Gesualdo Madrigals Books 1 and 2 performed by Les Arts Florissants. The Mahler recordings are SACDs.

3 Likes

Was this really a digital recording (as per label)? AllMusic sets the recording date at 1950.

This is not intended as a slight against anyone but the Decca marketing folks (if the 1950 date is correct).

Master was probably original recorded on analog tape and they captured a 192/24 recording of that master tape later to work with for the CD release.

A digital recording method on the other hand was available in 1950, namely DPCM (differential pulse-code modulation). That was CD quality audio with about 8 bits. Maybe it was recorded in that format but the 192/24 makes no sense then, unless they upsampled it.

1 Like

I did not know that.

Emerson Lake and Palmer | The Atlantic Years
Trawled from the bay for a very decent price.

6 Likes

More New Order that I don’t like… :joy:

1 Like

Cannonball Adderley Somethin’ Else

Pat Metheny Side Eye NYC V1.1V

9 Likes

Deluxe remaster with multiple cds and a blueray

7 Likes

51pxyU2jvSL

3 Likes

Latest bunch…ignore Roky, he just wanted to be in the shot!

3 Likes

'cos I live near to this region I ordered this.

Mistakenly I thought I’d ordered vinyl. DOH!

4 Likes

1 Like

Conan_Small
I finally managed to lay my hands on a copy of the Conan soundtrack. I’ve been searching for this for quite some time and am super happy.

Lookin Good_Small
Giving it my first spin and really liking it :+1:t3:

3 Likes

New Bob Bootleg Series CD box

2 Likes

I wonder how many"pro tools" time they needed to get his voice like this because his live singing is terrible, look for “New Order ‘Be A Rebel’ HD @ Halifax, Piece Hall, 08.09.2021” on the Tube if you wanna hear his real voice.

Bernard has always been a bad singer, but since they “came back” in 1998 he has become a truly terrible singer. I wish Steve or Gillian woould have a word.

1 Like

I think it’s been aired in these parts before but the thought of the live spectacle of New Order these days is wholly unappealing.

My friend tried to tempt me to Heaton Park last week to see them, but no chance. These things seem to traduce their former three to four decades ago brilliance.

I’d much rather have gone to Parklife last weekend at the same venue, but my twenty year old son was going and said I’d easily be three to four decades too old.

3 Likes

Latest album from the Japanese pianist Izumi Kamura.

1 Like

A new composer to me: Kancheli.
Chiaroscuro for violin and chamber orchestra.
On ECM New Series.
Excellent.

4 Likes