What was the last CD you bought

Wilton Felder - ‘Secrets’ (1985). Thanks for the recommendation. Picked it up on vinyl in Exeter last Wednesday!

3 Likes

Jorge Bolet - ‘Liszt: Piano Works Vol. 6’ (1985).
Bought a clutch of volumes from this series in a charity shop on Monday last. Grand and stately Liszt from the Cuban-born American virtuoso Jorge Bolet. Wonderful playing of the ‘old school’. I first learnt of Jorge Bolet in his revealing and charismatic masterclasses on Rachmaninov’s Piano Concerto No. 3 on TV in the UK in the early 1980s.

2 Likes

A Rose Magnificat: Gabrieli Consort/McCreesh

I absolutely love the design and presentation of these Gabs releases, especially now I’ve bought a few that can sit together. That’s one thing you don’t get with streaming :wink:

Great music, sensitively performed too, of course.

Mark

3 Likes

Jeff Cotton The Fantasy of Reality
Just released.
Bought this because Jeff was Antennae Jimmy Semens in another life, part of the great Captain Beefheart’s Magic Band, so I had to hear what he’s up to…his first solo. Plays all the instruments.

Lyrics are, so far, fairly standard hippie drivel and as a singer he’s certainly no Van Vliet, but I’m hoping the album gets weirder than the first couple of tracks.

Well produced, and he still plays a mean guitar, but I don’t think I’ll bother with the vinyl yet.

Ahhhh…neat country blues thing on the fifth track. More like it! Sixth, too.

1 Like

Bit of a mixed bag of recent purchases.

7 Likes

What a voice this lady had!

6 Likes

Just floated in from the river. Laurent de Wilde’s New Monk Trio. Fine interpretations of some Thelonius Monk and a great recording as well.

1 Like

Building my collection with a Joe Henderson classic.

8 Likes

The only recording of selections from Grieg’s Lyric Pieces I owned had been in the big Rubinstein box - and that was not Rubinstein at his finest.

This Gilels disc is the standard by which others are measured.

4 Likes

I have that on SACD. I can also recommend his tribute albums to Miles and Billy Strayhorn.

1 Like

Congratulations on the 50th anniversary!:partying_face::partying_face:

8 Likes

That’s not necessarily true. If you were to rip the CDs to a server and stream from there, you could still view the CD notes and enjoy better sound.

Leaving aside whether locally-streamed rips of CDs always and undoubtedly sound better than locally-played CDs - since this has been debated elsewhere and not entirely conclusively - it wasn’t the notes I referred to but the design and presentation of the packaging.

Buying a streamer plus ripping NAS to do what you suggest but still keeping the packaging on my shelves just for aesthetic reasons isn’t something I’m tempted to do, even if there might be a possible improvement in SQ.

Mark

all these on same time.

6 Likes

Got some music today - kind of delivery day …

10 Likes

Mary Halvorson Thumbscrew
Poor Clares Of Arundel Light For The World

Charity shop last Tuesday.

3 Likes

Just arrived,so probably be tomorrow before I can judge it.

3 Likes

Grant Green with Sonny Clark The Complete Quartets

Ordered today, should be here on Friday.

12 Likes

Have they got the left-right channels fixed for this release?