What was the last CD you bought

Received my CDs today. Listening to the first CD and ripping the second one into my digital media player.

9 Likes

Arrived today

16 Likes

Speaking of Revolver, on first listening I had the impression that Giles Martin’s remix is ​​exceptional for the instruments, while it gives too much emphasis to the vocals, which I found a little too “present”. I bought the 2 CD version. Has anyone else had the same impression? Cheers,
Maurizio

@Lontano, many thanks for the suggestion. Indeed an amazing store!

15 Likes

I used to love visiting Tower records in London, i guess the Japanese market for cd’s is still booming and they are still viable as a store.

10 Likes

Eight floors of CDs, well one was actually vinyl. Full of young people in a rainy Sunday afternoon. I really enjoyed my time in TR Shibuya.

8 Likes

Glad to hear you got there. Shibuya and Shinjuku are full of lots of good music stores but that branch of Tower is super impressive. I kept visiting when I was in Tokyo!!

2 Likes

By the way, my bounty from Tower Records Shibuya this afternoon.

11 Likes

Streetcore_cover

Can’t find it at a reasonable price on vinyl so opted for CD. Pretty good sound. Love his version of Redemption Song.

2 Likes

Me too. In my younger days of the early nineties, there was a period when Friday nights were usually the quiet nights, socially and in London itself.

As it stayed open late, I would often pop up to Tower records in Piccadilly Circus after work, there would be barely any traffic, park just round the corner on Regent Street(!) and have a good mooch, typically with only a dozen or so other people in the entire store!

7 Likes

11 Likes

Those days are gone for easy parking. I use to park in John Adam Street just off the Strand when going, in the 90’s, to English National Opera in St Martin’s Lane. I would sit in my car until 6.30pm when free parking started. Usually there would be a bloke getting a double bass out of his back seat of his car; almost certainly a member of the ENO orchestra!

2 Likes

1 Like

Good to see something from The Gathering getting purchased :sunglasses:

1 Like

Won’t be played til it reaches me… Had to come from overseas - Switzerland in this case.

I find that quite a few European band have poor availability in the UK.
Is this due to Brexit, do you think… :thinking: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Not Brexit, The Gathering like Gazpacho and other Euro bands have always been a little tricky to source in Blighty and old albums also hold their prices well on discogs etc., at least that’s been my experience over the last 25 years or so.

2 Likes

Remember that ‘The Planets’ has the title ‘Suite For LARGE Orchestra’ (my capitals), which I take to mean play it very loud indeed. The Wieners played out of their skins on that record.

(And it was probably the first time that they had even heard of Holst, let alone played his music.)

PS Sorry to respond so late. I’ve only just seen the post, now almost two months old. I hope that you enjoyed it.

These are great but i keep coming back to the Jakob Lindberg recordings on BIS, not sure why…
Also available as a bargain 4cd boxset.

Thanks. I will have to look him up.

Charity warehouse shop yesterday. £5 the lot at 3 for £1. Will be busy with CD555……

3 Likes