What was the last CD you bought

Sadly the UK put him off Graham with the eye scan and so he refuses to perform in the UK. Very sad for people that wish to see him over there.
I went to see him every year since 2004 (Covid excluded) and once with the Hammerklavier sonata performance 3 times in Geneva, Frankfurt and Nancy.

That is, as you say, a great shame. I wonder why the eye scan spooks him.

In any event, I’d love to go to one of his concerts.

He looks like a great bear of a man in his PR shots, and in that respect reminds me of Lazar Berman, who was an all-too- fleeting glimpse on the classical music scene.

Then go…… It is a great opportunity to visit some of Europe’s great cities and concert venues.

I would go like a shot, but I’ve suffered a bit of ill-health over the last year, and my doctors have advised against moving too far away from home. I’m not complaining, but a trip abroad may not be a good idea at present.

1 Like

What a pity. The next best thing then will be to get the latest CDs on the DG label and the two older sets on näive.

Sibelius compilation that includes the Collins cycle among lots of other older goodies (11 CD set)

Bruno Walter Conducts Mahler.

4 Likes

Codex las Huelgas: Bestiary and Divine Symbols

A live recording on SACD from 2021. The acoustic is captured quite thrillingly on the multichannel.

I was looking for this on various online outlets and found it tricky to be certain I’d be getting the SACD rather than the redbook. It was therefore great to see it in the flesh at Blackwell’s in Oxford with clear SACD logos. I can also feel good about putting a drop in the ocean of supporting bricks and mortar music shops.

Mark

3 Likes

Amplifier - Hologram
A very much unknown and underrated band…,

Prog, metal, sort of an English Tool if you like….

1 Like

Diana Krall, Live in Paris. SHM CD Japan

14 Likes

Some classic Prog:

All “remastered” and “expanded” versions.

10 Likes

Great to see some old prog in the form of Curved Air still being purchased. May I recommend one more to you? Air Cut, which IMO is better than Phantasmogoria but is probably also the last Curved Air album that you need to buy because sadly the quality dropped off a cliff after 1973.

my cd collection is mostly jazz and blues and some rock like eagles,rem,springsteen.
but i get 2 electro music albums
it,s hard to define what genre music it,s exacly it,s a copilition called Hotel Costes in total i think
they are 16+ cd,s i have part 2 and 4 my favorite i may try to difine the music is chill out,electro some house ,i can recomend the music also very nice us background if you have some cocktails with friends.

3 Likes

These remastered jobs are to run alongside/replace my existing CDs. No LPs regrettably - I’d love a copy of the first one - if only to frame & hang it on the wall! :laughing:

And yes, Air Cut will be next on the list (listened to it on youtoob). I picked up a copy of Airborne (CD) in a charity shop a decade ago, and it has had many plays over the years.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I suppose I should hang my head in shame. But I won’t.

Fundamental_as_Anything

1 Like

Courtesy of HMV. A very reasonable £8.99 in their “Flash 50” promo.

Just got to get to Bluewater HMV at some stage to pick it up.

13 Likes

Last night I attended the “Impressions Of Coltrane” gig put on by Confront Recordings’ Mark Wastell:

Among the special guests was the legendary Alan Skidmore, whose 81st birthday it was. Afterwards Mark gave me an advance copy of his forthcoming Skid anthology, the 6-CD box A Supreme Love.

11 Likes

download (1)

Bastille: Give me the Future.

Had a punt on this courtesy of HMV again. Less than a cup of coffee at £2.49 :+1:

3 Likes

Charity shop last Tuesday.

5 Likes

Folder

7 Likes