What was the last CD you bought

3 Likes

2 Likes

Since I liked so much his two first albums. A quartet with a guitar for a change, recorded in NYC in 1975.

2 Likes

…delivered to my doorstep

GoGo Penguin - A Humdrum Star

Nick Blacka (Double Bass), Chris Illingworth (Piano) and Rob Turner (Drums).

Carla Bley - Life Goes On

Carla Bley (Piano), Andy Sheppard (Soprano and Tenor Saxophones) and Steve Swallow (Bass).

Ben Monder - Amorphae

Ben Monder (Electric Guitar, Electric Baritone Guitar), Pete Rende (Synthesizer), Andrew Cyrille (Drums) and Paul Motian (Drums).

Nordub - Sly & Robbie

Robbie Shakespeare (bass guitar, vocals), Sly Dunbar (drums, vocals), Nils Petter Molvaer (trumpeter), Eivind Aarset (guitar) and Vladislav Delay (producer-engineer).

7 Likes

Hi Seakayaker, what I ask myself why you are buying CD quality, while there is highresolution audio files available for some of the cd’s you are buying ?

Old habits die slowly, I have downloaded a few Hi Res albums and found the task time consuming and tedious.

I also had an extensive apple music collection that I no longer access or use. Not sure I can say that was money well spent to now have to download another electronic copy of the music.

Then their is my naive believe that the artist does receive their compensation when a physical copy (new) of their music is sold vs the accounting method used for downloading electronic files.

Out of all my random thoughts I guess I’ll go with ‘Old habits die slowly’ and look to improve when I eventually retire and have more time on my hands.

I do continue to enjoy the music…

3 Likes

You do rob yourself of the benefits of having better sound quality. And the effort of ripping is definitely bigger and introducing new issues. But everybody has a right to his/her preferences…

It’s not naive, it’s spot on.

2 Likes

I too got trapped buying lo fi downloads from Apple. I often think I should email them and ask for the rest of my music, they charged not that much less than what I now pay for hi res files. Re buying hi res I find the opposite, I log on purchase my download quickly check the metadata and loaded on to my server. All done and dusted while I’m still in my pjs. As for the royalties I’d think it would be easier to track the downloads than it would be the sale of CDs these days. So many CDs are now dumped in those pop up charity stores or other outlets and sold for a few bucks that I’d think it would be almost impossible to follow the money. You, unlike many others at are at least buying from a store that hopefully will ensure the artist gets their share.

1 Like

Amazon special offer, so I have filled some gaps !

5 Likes

Can you elaborate a little @TheKevster for the ignorants like me ?

@Zinc As someone who runs a (tiny) record label and manages a couple of artists, I can tell you that one gets fractions of a penny for Spotify/Pandora/Deezer/Apple etc streams, pennies for Amazon/iTunes downloads and pounds for sale of a CD and two or three times more pounds for sale of an LP, particularly if one sells direct to fans, either at gigs or through channels like Bandcamp or Discogs.

I can also see what is happening in real time, whereas one has to wait weeks or months for one’s streaming numbers (and even longer for payment).

7 Likes

6 Likes

…delivered last evening

Food - Mercurial Balm

Thomas Strønen (Drums, Percussion, Electronics), Iain Ballamy (Saxophones, Electronics), Christian Fennesz (Guitar, Electronics), Eivind Aarset (Guitar, Electronics), Prakash Sontakke Slide Guitar, Vocal) and Nils Petter Molvaer (Trumpet).

2 Likes

To replace a cd which has stopped playing in any CD player I have access to. No obvious damage but if won’t play…

7 Likes

…delivered today

Pat Metheny - From This Place

Pat Metheny (Guitars, Keyboards), Gwilyn Simcock (Piano), Linda May Han Oh (Bass, Voice), Antonio Sanchez (drums), Meshell Ndegeocello (Vocal), Gregoire Maret (Harmonica), Luis Conte (Percussion) and The Hollywood Studio Symphony: Conducted by John McNeely.

June Tabor - Ashore

June Tabor (vocals), Andy Cutting (diatonic accordion), Mark Emerson (viola & violin), Tim Harries (double bass) and Huw Warren (Piano)

The Delines - Colfax

Amy Boone (Vocals), Willy Vlautin (Guitar), Tucker Jackson (Pedal Steel Guitar), Jenny Conlee-Drizos (Keyboards), Freddie Trujillo (Bass) and Sean Oldham (Drums, Percussion).

9 Likes

1 Like

5 Likes

Great fun… and love the AM radio tracks, and the vinyl sounding tracks from the late 60s early 70s… just not fully available via streaming in the UK, no doubt because of rights restrictions, so for the full monty you need the CD.

2 Likes

I think that is one of the reasons why I am thinking streaming is not for me unless it is perhaps an individual track .

1 Like