What was the last CD you bought

Also arrived today: some more live Rory

Rory Gallagher - Check Shirt Wizard

6 Likes

After hearing the fairly immense Space For The Papa (was it on the playlists for the HiFi show?), I bought this:

Jeff Beck Who Else

Who else indeed - what a player!

6 Likes

Another one of those grey market, unofficial recordings that seem to be appearing with increasing regularity now that LZ have passed the half-century mark…

4 Likes

Hi All

Just for the record the best and worst sounding cd I bought recently were.

Nils Lofgren Acoustic live. Superb sound and music

Brian Ferry Live at the Albert Hall. On my system this sounds awful and the music is very average.

This was the last straw for my Focal speakers. Now gone looking for replacement.

Did have a quick stream of Ozzie Osbornes new album on my second system and this sounded really good to me if you like this sort of music

Trevor

So is it your speakers or the recordings.

That’s what I was wondering. But then maybe Bryan Ferry’s music is always average?

Hang on Foolish Things was an excellent album, although it is the only album of his I own.

I own Boys and Girls, which, as far as I recall, is far better than average. Good SQ too.

I do hate his cover of Jealous Guy. It makes me cringe.

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

One of the best selling records ever. Playing the deluxe version for the live set, well the live version of Rhiannon to be precise. I still recall seeing a performance of that song on the OGWT in which Stevie was wearing her usual diaphanous black dress being blown in the wind or by a wind machine. It’s one of those videos a teenage lad shouldn’t be allowed to see on his own!

5 Likes

Sorry folks, wrong thread. I meant to put this on the WAYLT thread, but…gremlins. Or maybe it was the thought of Stevie Nicks in that video!

2 Likes

Joe Sample - Sample This - 2014 Warner / Japan CD / WPCR 28146

Quality import for under a tenner from the river, and sounding great.

2 Likes

I suspect most ot the artists that get sold on CD at Poundland are considerably better off than forum members judging by the items on offer at my local store!

Equally, we may be buying CDs that we’ve already purchased on vinyl/cassette in the past, or items that we simply wouldn’t consider at full price - I’d also pay a £1 for something a little more obscure/unfamiliar, is I disliked it no great loss to me, if I liked it then that might actually encourage me to explore their wider catalogue with potential full price purchases in the future.

2 Likes

It’s time to rebuild my Black Sabbath collection.

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality.

8 Likes

Retirement gift from my wonderful colleagues… Sure beats a carriage clock.

12 Likes

That’s a wonderful set G. What a lovely present!

I remember back in 2002 when I left a job I got a Billy Preston LP and a black SNAIC as a leaving pressie!

4 Likes

51YlVWR6Z0L

Police box set for a tenner in HMV

10 Likes
3 Likes

Did you watch the recent BBC4 British Metal documentary? It inspired me to revisit my Sabbath collection, which stops at the point they parted company with Ozzy. I’d forgotten how much I enjoy a album or two of Judas Priest, and how I’ve totally outgrown Saxon!

No, missed that one. I’ll see if I can find it somewhere and catch up. :+1: