What was the last CD you bought

Thank you for having checked, @AndyP !
Yes indeed, very good music and group of musicians, maybe the worst quality sound!

David

1 Like

Ordered this -waiting for delivery.

It just showed up. Eight discs for about $25. I knew I already had the two Josquin discs. When I examined it I realized I had at one time two of the Lassus discs (the Penitential Psalms), but they remain the only CDs I lost through disc rot. Let’s hope history does not repeat itself.

4 Likes

Had a chance to speak with Suzanne Vega last year (pre-Covid). I’m involved in an off-Broadway theater company, and she performed in a musical we did. Songs were by Duncan Sheik and Amanda Green. Alas, to my knowledge the songs were not commercially recorded.

2 Likes

What is she like as a person, her persona suggest a very laid back person

Quite nice. It was at the opening night party. We did small-talk for several minutes. I always get tongue-tied on these occasions.

Jimmy Page & Robert Plant - No Quarter.

Tiney page nobent plant

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Once Upon A Time The Singles.

ONCE UPON A TIMETHE SINGLES

Janis Joplin - Pearl.

Janis_Joplin_Pearl copy

13 Likes

New album from an excellent young American pianist.

1 Like

Rather nice LP replica CD with obi and inner… Recorded in 1974.

4 Likes

Ahmad Jamal - Saturday Morning

CD ordered, should be here early next week. This has been on my to buy list for a while. When the title track was played on JazzFM while listening in the car the other day, it spurred me on to source a copy.

4 Likes

3 Likes

New album from Melbourne-based jazz outfit.

2 Likes

St. Vincent - Strange Mercy.

VINCENT

St. Vincent - Actor.

St_Vincent_Actor500

8 Likes

Bruce Springsteen - Springsteen on Broadway. Nice to receive another beautifully presented CD in an LP style card case as opposed to the traditional jewel case, with a rather effective semi transparent outer slip cover too. Nicely done…

BROADWAY

SPRINGSTEEN BROAI

BROADWAY

7 Likes

I enjoy it, thank you for this, didn’t know them! Listening to it I am wondering. Is the first song not too much Kamasi copying, or is it just a sound shared by more these days?

@RexManning – I kind of know what you mean, but I also hear UK outfit Maisha, as well as other influences, such as Coltrane, Rotary Connection, Donny Hathaway, Nubya Garcia and so on. It’s not exactly original or groundbreaking, but it is immensely enjoyable.

The 50th anniversary remastered Tea for the Tillerman - excellent.

3 Likes

Wow, you have a commendable ability to connect these influences. And yes, very enjoyable. I like that they give the musicians their time to shine, personally not always into the Epic (…) approach. Sometimes, not always.

1 Like

Springsteen on Broadway -I’m not sure if this is one but on one of these live albums Bruce tells LOTS of stories
It’s kind of interesting the first time but I found it gets a bit much on repeat listening.

Yes, that’s this album, and one of the reasons why I didn’t want it on vinyl - a curiosity piece in some ways, but was still very curious about hearing it.

King Crimson - ITCOTCK 40th Anniversary Series

This is the 2009 version remastered by Steven Wilson. I am currently enjoying a renewed enthusiasm for all things Crimson and having read some favourable reviews of this version, I thought I’d take the plunge.

Well I should have learnt by now. I’ve bought a couple of Yes albums remastered by Steven Wilson in the past and have been disappointed by his dabbling. This is no different. I think he tends to focus on bringing micro details to the fore but seems deaf to the effect on the whole. This is tonally bright and tiring on the ears. The music is brilliant. This remaster is a disaster. Avoid like the plague.

10 Likes