What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

:thinking: I have remixes by SW and originals from Tull, Yes, Gentle Giant and King Crimson, the only one I don’t think he did justice to was Relayer

1 Like

I wonder if what they really mean is its not been “remastered” compressed and brickwalled to death?
:heart:

1 Like

Stephane Grappelli - Vintage Grappelli

I played this some while ago and enjoyed it very much, particularly the excellent guitar playing of both John Etheridge and Martin Taylor. I just spotted it again in the list of ‘My Albums’ on Qobuz. It’s definitely worth a repeat visit.

6 Likes

10 Likes

Nice! I’m after a copy…

I have had three of his remasters, these being CTTE, Relayer and ITCOTCK. I still have the Yes albums, but my main issue with these is that I know these albums so well that it feels as if the original versions are ingrained in my DNA. Now SW has brought some elements to the fore and suppressed others, thereby changing the overall flow and balance of the originals, as if he was messing with my DNA. The reason I kept these is that the DVD discs included the original mixes at 24bit/96kHz, which I ripped to my server.

I returned ITCOTCK for a refund owing to the dreadful mess he’d made of it. I described it in the link.

[What was the last CD you bought - #1955 by Clive]

1 Like

On double vinyl, which arrived today. On first listen, I’m really not sure about this… it’s all very impressive but I prefer him in a small group.

Peter Green | Legend | 1987
A compilation of some of his solo music.

5 Likes

I Fink therefore I am.

7 Likes

Now playing…

Ólafur Arnalds …And They Have Escaped The Weight Of Darkness

Ólafur Arnalds (Keyboards, Piano), Arndis Hulda Auðunsdóttir (Viola), Kjartan Bragason (Drums), Margrét Soffia Einarsdóttir (Violin), Valdimar Guðmundsson (Trombone), þórður Gudmundur Hermannsson (Cello), Edda Hreinsdóttir (Violin), Hallgrímur Jónas Jensson (Cello), Tony Levin (Bass), Karl Pestka (Violin), Bergrún Snæbjörnsdórnsdóttir (Horn) and Vala Yates (Vocals).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/24)… continuing on into the noon hour with Ólafur and he and the talented group of musicians accompanying him are sounding sublime! …one beautiful album.

1 Like

My, my, what a racy pic :relaxed:

1 Like

Fabulous 1954-recorded live album, featuring the likes of Clifford Brown, Max Roach, Clark Terry, Harold Land, Junior Mance, etc.

6 Likes

This is the Sony 2013 (Non Numbered Non Record Store Day) Mono release cut at Stirling Sound and pressed at RTI and for the money is the best version.

I’m experimenting with different styli on my cartridge and have swapped the Special Line Contact for the cheaper Nude Elliptical to see if the different profile suits these older recordings better. I may even try the VM610Mono for the few Mono recordings I have at less than £120 it’s worth a punt.

I was just listening to All Blues and the way Miles gives way to is just genius he just steps back and lets him take it off into a different orbit returning just at the end to close things down. It’s without doubt one of the best Saxophone performances ever IMO.

I

15 Likes

Some fine blues vocals and that tone of Ben Webster!

4 Likes

Doesn’t look a day over 62 bless him.

Here he is at the peak of his powers.

5 Likes

Not such a well known track taken from the Soundtrack he wrote for the film ‘Jawbone’

1 Like

Erykah Badu – her third studio album Worldwide Underground, on vinyl:

7 Likes

Now playing…

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Reunions

Jason Isbell (Vocals, Guitars, Piano), Chad Gamble (Drums, Tambourine), Jimbo Hart (Bass), Amanda Shires (Fiddle, Vocals), Sadler Vaden (Guitars), Derry Deborja (Keyboards, Omnichord, Organ, Piano), Jay Buchanan (Vocals) and David Crosby (Vocals).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… continuing on into the afternoon with Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit and they are sounding sublime! …an album I enjoy more each time I give it a spin…

10 Likes

Eternally Even - Jim James

Second solo LP, wonderful.

5 Likes

Now playing…

Patricia Barber - Café Blue – UN-mastered

Patricia Barber (Piano, Vocals), Maya Angelou (Spoken Word), Michael Arnopol (Bass), John McLean (Guitar) and Mark Walker (Drums, Percussion).

Streaming on NAS… continuing on this Afternoon with Patricia’s Café Blue and I just love this album! Patricia and the band are sounding mighty sweet!

10 Likes