What was the last CD you bought

Hi @suzywong

Original used CD copies are very cheap on Discogs I paid less than a fiver for mine the vinyl is silly money even the reissue available for pre order now are over £80.

2 Likes

Just ordered, David Bowie - The Width of a Circle, Shipping 28th May 2021.

9 Likes

Hi Bob, yeah, I saw some of the silly prices, but have picked up a used one on ebay for £6. We’ll see whether it turns up LOL.

Cooder also did an album with Ali Farka Toure, which I can heartily recommend.

2 Likes

Same as @johnt Width of a Circle.

2 Likes

Hi suzywong manny thanks for putting me on to this brilliant record just bouht a vinyl copy.

1 Like

It is one of my my favourite albums. For me, it conjures visions of two master guitarists sat out on Ali’s back porch in the warm African evening sun, trading licks.

I’m there with you.

5 Likes

Eldest daughter’s been offered a Choral Scholarship at Selwyn College, so spent a few days there, with her being toured around and got some of the choir’s CDs to get a feel for it:

5 Likes

Congrats to your daughter. Well done.

Thank you, @bruss - she worked hard for it and is really excited about the experience she’s going to have. The choir director (Sarah Macdonald) seems like she pushes them hard - in a good way!

Mark

3 Likes

Finally pulled the trigger on this one. Musically not as essential as the In Search of Hades set but still pretty great.

6 Likes

Wow! You must be a proud parent. Kudos to her

Claude

1 Like

fantastic , so pleased for her

2 Likes

Antonio Vivaldi, The Four Seasons. Anne Sophie Mutter, violin. Wiener Philharmoniker, Herbert von Karajan. LP (2017 Warner Classics EMI reissue)

Vivalsi’s Four Seasons is the most recorded classical music work and there’s so many interpretations that orchestras and solists keep trying to find new ways to distinguish themselves, sometimes successfully (Kennedy, Jansen, Carmignola come to mind).

This version featuring one of today’s top violonists (Mutter) and the man who discovered her (Karajan) becomes remarkable because they didn’t try to! Listening to this recording the feeling I get is that it must be very close to Vivaldi’s intention. Another curiosity is that the continuo is at times played by two harpsichords, one with Karajan himself.

A truly great version then, and right from the first bars one understands why it was the first classical record ever to become platinum. Sound quality and pressing of the 2017 reissue are both excellent.

AnneSophieMutterAntonioViv44189_f

Claude

7 Likes

Arrived in yesterday’s mail.
Floating Points - Crush

Norah Jones - …'Til We Meet Again

4 Likes

Thank you - really looking forward to having an excuse to schlep up to Cambridge several times in the year to listen to her sing Evensong. On Sundays, guests of scholars get in to Formal Hall so we’ll get supper too.

Mark

2 Likes

Topped up my Prince collection

10 Likes

1 Like