What was the last concert / gig you attended?

The Last Dinner Party at The Octagon, Sheffield

Interesting show. It was sold out and a number of their choices were very humble and genuine - as an example the charity they have partnered with on the tour. No sign of ‘arrogance’ or ‘manufactured’ as some have said about them. They have an almost fevered following amongst a lot of their audience.

I found the music lacked weight - even with two guitarists and keyboards; more a reflection of my tastes for ‘heavier’ music than a criticism - it’s not their style. Well worth seeing though and reassures me that live music continues to evolve and find an audience.

2 Likes

Getting ready for Ryan Adams at Bush Hall

5 Likes

Was just before at the concert with Brahms Double Concerto with Sol Gabetta and Vilde Frang. Vilde was replacing Hilary Hahn who was still recovering from her injury. In addition we had the 3rd symphony of Martinu and closed with Dvorak. Nice program well executed.

I was a bit further away from the podium as normal, which gives of course a slightly different experience.

1 Like

Hey Bert.
Looks like it was not a total loss! Nice program!
How do you like Vilde? She’ll be in Chicago in November. Looking forward to her. I missed her performance last time when she was here.

Gabetta replaced Yuja Wang in Chicago when she and Mäkelä broke up. I think that was a blessing in disguise. :grinning:

Vilde performed well, so I had nothing to complain. Hadn’t seen her live so far, so that was a bonus.

1 Like

Great night with Nick Lowe in the NCH Dublin.

Played to a packed house who thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

.sjb

6 Likes

Van the man. Brighton Dome. Not my usual thing, but excellent nonetheless

7 Likes

Tom McRae this evening, cracking show with lots of requests taken from the audience.

8 Likes

Money shot! :+1:

1 Like

Wondering if he’s left the gas on at home :thinking:

2 Likes

Night in the Canyon, Theatre on the Steps Bridgnorth, music of Joni M , Eagles, Carly Simon, Lowell George, Carole King amongst others, and original material from 3 singer songwriters…standout was Jana Varga…streaming her first album now, very nice with a Laurel Canyon influence.

3 Likes

David Gilmour, Sat 28th September at the Circus Maximus in Rome.

What a magical setting for a show. He’s doing 6 nights there with about 18000 fans at each one. For an outdoor gig the sound was phenomenal with his guitar cutting right through the balmy Roman evening. Unsurprisingly most of the songs from the Luck and Strange album made it in to the setlist along with some classic PF, a few from post-Roger PF and a few from Rattle That Lock. Highlight of the show was of course Comfortably Numb and to see it played in that setting with the fantastic sound and light show was a real privilege. What I couldn’t believe was a few people to my right leaving a bit early and missing Comfortably Numb. I mean, you go to see David Gilmour, you know he’s going to finish with that and you leave early!?
Unlike London, no 10.30 curfew in Rome so he came on at 9pm and by the time he had a half hour break it was pushing midnight by the time he finished.

12 Likes

Kika Sprangers & Irene Reig Quintet ‘Alto For Two’ (ESP/NL), Porgy & Bess, Vienna

2 Likes

AHL6 ‘What happened to Eternity?’ (A), Porgy & Bess, Vienna

2 Likes

Pretenders September 30 Munich.
The hall was overcrowded and the sound way too loud. In fact, the best sound was in a passage between the auditorium and the main exit. Just off the passageway is a bar so we could sit in the bar, drink a beer and listen to the show from there.

4 Likes

Art Themen at The Spin jazz club in Oxford last night. Art played with Stan Tracey for many years, and plays on the Under Milk Wood album. The horn he’s blowing in the pic is Ronnie Scott’s old one, which sat in a glass case in a local instrument shop for many years. Accompanied by Liam Donachie on the Hammond, a superb player, with Woody Wood on drums and local legend Pete Oxley on guitar. Great night.

3 Likes

Off to see Art at Ronnie Scott’s at the beginning of November.

1 Like

The The at the O2 Academy Brixton on Tuesday 1st October 2024. Two sets; first was the new Ensoulment album played in full, second was a trip through the back catalogue. No fancy light shows or special effects, just 5 very talented musicians doing what they do best. Highlights for me were the version of Infected which was mighty and Uncertain Smile where DC Collard showed that he certainly knows how to tinkle the ivories.

3 Likes

Roger Glover’s daughter Gillian on backing vocals?

A stunning and magnificent performance of Bruckner’s 4th symphony yesterday by the Koninklijk Concertgebouworkest, conducted by Jaap van Zweden.

3 Likes