What was the last concert / gig you attended?

Kathryn Tickell & The Darkness @ the Witshire Music Centre in BoA.

Our wife and several of us really enjoyed it.

Were you up in the Stravinsky Box? :grinning:
A lot of Bruckner programs this year.

Matters Unknown at Common Ground in Oxford last night. Great, intimate newish venue, first in a proposed series of gigs under the banner of A Quiet Night In. Some interesting music, much of it new and previously unperformed. Will be interested to see how they develop. Much better was the impromptu sing along in the Harcourt Arms afterwards!

1 Like

Well, I was up on the balcony, but at the far end of the hall. Above the Bruckner cartouche in fact! As to the many Bruckner programs, as you no doubt know this year is Bruckner year (born 4 September 1824).

Oh that’s right. It’s the Bicentennial year!
I’ve got a series of Bruckner concerts coming up.
Bruckner 3: Janowski/CSO
Bruckner 5: Petrenko/Berliner
Bruckner 8: Jordan/WDR
Bruckner 3: Nazet-Seguin/Rotterdam
Bruckner 4: Hrusa/Bamberger
This last one with Hrusa is what I am looking for most at the Concertgebouw~

1 Like

Cara Dillon, at the Sub Rooms in Stroud this evening. Great music, a terrific band, and that voice, magic. She did the whole of Coming Home, interspersed with some traditional numbers.

2 Likes

I can confirm that it was being filmed for release in due course. (And I probably a live album as well!)

1 Like

Guy Pratt did say not to use phones to record it and wait for the film. I wholeheartedly agree and look forward to it.

3 Likes

I agree she is great. Have seen her twice this year: first, with the full band doing ‘Coming Home’ and, more recently, with just husband, Sam Lakeman, when she played lots of her ‘oldies’ and just a couple from Coming Home.

1 Like

Joan As Police Woman last night at the Union Chapel in London. Apologies for the quality of the photo, arrived about 3 minutes before the gig started and didn’t secure the best of seats. A combination of the new album and some well worn favourites. Jolly good too.

9 Likes

Caroline Shaw with the Kamus String Quartet at the Wigmore Hall last night. The programme varied works from her with pieces by Josquin des Prez, Scarlatti and Ludwig van. She sang several of her songs.
The most extraordinary concert. The programme was loosely based around melancholy and loss and was beautifully chosen. The Kamus Quartet were brilliant and I never tire of watching a string quartet absolutely focused on each other - incredibly intensity.
Caroline herself is a very talented composer but also a really good singer. For the last song she had all the audience gently hum in B flat for the entirety of the song and it was just magical.
A very special concert

7 Likes

I saw her at The Spitz in London in 2006 - with the lovely Rainy Ortega on bass.

1 Like

Birmingham Town Hall last night, the Van Morrison Alumni Band…brilliant. shame it wasn’t a capacity audience. Its a must see for any VM fans.

A chap called in to the store yesterday, seeking directions to Wigmore Hall (just around the corner from work). He was a bit distracted so I didn’t ask if he was going for the Caroline Shaw…I was a bit jealous (or is that envious?) TBH, as I couldn’t go!

Must have been a lovely concert :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Hiromi - Sonicwonder - Teatro Ristori, Verona, 10th Oct 2024

It’s always a joy to witness Hiromi and her powerful presence on stage. The concert was simply fantastic. I’ve been lucky enough to experience the same tour a year ago and everytime I hear her playing, her songs are always rearranged in a completely different way. What a musician she is! This time they were really grown up and delivered such a finesse that I wish there was an album of this concert. At the end she also delighted the audience with Mr. C. C. if I’m not mistaken, followed by a song I’ve never heard on her previous albums. What an experience, highly recommended!

6 Likes

Beautiful photo’s :+1:t3:

1 Like

Thank you @steviebee, I’m glad you liked them!

1 Like

Just back from seeing DG at the RAH. What can I say that hasn’t been said already?
F*cking brilliant

An unusually large speck of sentiment in my eyes during ‘Wish you were here’ and the beautiful version of ‘Great gig in the sky’

7 Likes

DG at the RAH Friday 11th October.

8 Likes

@Cat7
That first photo is excellent!