What was the last concert / gig you attended?

I agree about Danny. He was a great player…gave Tom guts and fire.

On the night, Mick was good too lol.

1 Like

In the two pics I posted in white over on the right is Glen Matlock.

1 Like

Wow…that was Glenn? I didn’t know…

(Speed and beer…:man_shrugging:t4:)

1 Like

Just returned from a great concert of Brad Mehldau Trio….

4 Likes

Emotional. Just back from two and a half hours with Steve Hackett at the Hexagon in Reading. To hear the Genesis classics played in full with proper care and precision by one of the original artists after so many years was very moving. To hear first hand the guitar playing that was a signature sound on ‘Seconds Out’ as I first discovered Genesis - amazing.

The set includes some new material, some of his immediate post Genesis material and some amazing and lesser-known tracks from The Lamb…which will rarely get played now. Diverting to Selling England by the Pound we were enjoying our Fine Fare discount and about to take the Safeway home before the band delivered Firth of Fifth and Los Endos as encores.

With such a back catalogue I can’t imagine how he selects the set list. Hackett is supported by an excellent band including Amanda Lehmann who has a stunning voice.

5 Likes

Looks like the pianist is taking a nap! :grin: :grin:

he was channeling Bill Evans.

images

John Grant, Vicar Street, Dublin

Again fantastic to see artists in this smaller venue, where there is a great connection with the audience & music.

3 Likes

Yeah his typical position of hanging above the piano. Actually Keith Jarrett was also sometimes playing like this when he got in his flow.

The Irish fiddler Martin Hayes at the Union Chapel in Islington last night. If he were a guitarist rather than a fiddler, he would be in the Page/Clapton/Gilmour league - seriously. A supremely talented and lovely man playing glorious music in one of my favourite venues. If you get the chance to see him then you should

6 Likes

Julius Rodriguez at Ronnie Scott’s. A very young quartet, but already excellent technically, sounding fresh and new, despite Julius’s obvious love of vintage synth sounds.
With all the love for the London jazz scene for the last few years, I thought this American band was the most exciting new jazz I’d heard in London in 2024. It was in the tradition, yet sounded like nothing I’d heard before. A great evening.

1 Like

Squeeze at the Cambridge Corn Exchange. Tremendous energy and a very good concert.

3 Likes

High Llamas at the Lexington in London a couple of evenings ago. I didn’t know a huge amount about them but enjoyed the gig. Sort of lo fi gentle prefab sprout thing going on with added electronic squelches. Difficult to describe really…

2 Likes

Maximo Park at The Leadmill in Sheffield

Quite liked the band when they emerged around 2005 and saw them at a festival last year. They have a new album out that is really good.

Stream of Life

Happily the band played 8 songs from the album which were well received - not always the case with new material. Paul Smith has a way with lyrics and comes across as a really nice guy.

3 Likes