What was the last concert / gig you attended?

Killers @ Middlesbrough Riverside Stadium. Not my usual thing as I was there with my daughter who is a fan - they were absolutely brilliant though what a show

4 Likes

One of my bucket list came true on Tuesday!

Musikverein Vienna, Golden Hall

**Staatskapelle Dresden** **Christian Thielemann, conductor**

Anton Bruckner
Symphony No. 9 in D minor

Just overwhelming power of music and outstanding hall acoustics made this event one of the most memorable experience for me.
I have seen them back in Chicago and loved his showmanship and bold, dynamic orchestra made the CSO rather puny and weak in comparison.
In the Musikverein there was absolutely no bright massed strings or lack of bass dynamics. I felt in my butt! As it was, the band was together and everyone was ultra focused. Tension throughout which makes this score powerful and enlightening even.
It was packed with even a standing audience in the house which is rather surprising given the program. ( hard to fill the house with Bruckner in Chicago ) :confused:
The venue is rather plain from the outside but boy inside was opulent. gilded to the max.

Audience loved him as he came back many times to the stage.

He’s going to be in Chicago in October with Bruckner 8. But this time he’ll be conducting the CSO which will be interesting how he does without his usual band.

3 Likes

The Smile at the Roundhouse. New band with Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead and the drummer from Sons of Kemet. Excellent

4 Likes

I wasn‘t intending to go to the Rolling Stones concert tonight and I have no ambitions to “see” them, so all the more surprising when we went out to the patio and, due to the wind conditions, are now hearing them clear and live from the Olympic Stadium. Not in high-res but hey.

Kinda makes up for the Eric Clapton gig this week where Eric Clapton did not want to be seen by his paying audience.

Eric Gales in York. 2nd time this year. Definitely a recommendation :grinning:

Black Label Society
At the Electric Ballroom

1 Like

Joan As Police Woman, tonight. I’ve waited a long time to see her live and well it was worth it.

Fantastic performer and a terrific band touring with her too.

2 Likes

La Petite Bande & Sigiswald Kuijken: Bach’s Brandenburg Concertos

Back to the Concertgebouw Amsterdam. The venue was not full and I felt there is a lack of bass weight plus those large music stands prevented instruments to project further creating somewhat unbalanced sound.

It was well played but let down a little by a principal viola player not keeping up with notes and stone-faced cembalo player. Loved the cello player, tho! Personally I would like a bit more energy and dynamics out of the tunes. The atmosphere was much relaxed and I am not convinced if this is the right venue for small ensemble like this. Too much sound escaping.

Uploading: WM_Py3vY.jpg…

3 Likes

Parquet Courts at Brixton Academy last night. If you like your New York post-punk/art rock cut with a liberal sprinkling of early Floyd/Hawkwind/prog/disco/cowbell, and frankly who doesn’t, then this was just fantastic. For much of the show there were 2 drummers (2 drummers!) so there was a fantastic rhythm section which made them very funky at times. Absolutely rammed and brilliant atmosphere - top show.
Great support from Warmduscher:

AND from Los Bitchos:

Great night out

4 Likes

Queen + Adam Lambert at the O2 in London last night. Got a great position!

Two and a half hours of hits, superbly played and great entertainment.

Great to see people (just) older than I am being enjoyed by such a varied audience. While old time fans such as me railed about the liberties taken in the Bo Rap film, it certainly has given the band a whole new audience.

6 Likes

Spotted this on twitter, sadly needed for some of my recent gigs.

13 Likes

Saw The Killers at Carrow Road last night. One of the best live performances I’ve seen.
Brandon Flowers energy and voice were excellent and Ron Vannucci was a bit special on drums.
It was certainly a big improvement on recent visits to Carrow Road!:wink:

6 Likes

Fab photo!

1 Like

And not too often the pitch has been invaded this season either John!!

Peter

2 Likes

Goose at the Artpark bowl in Lewiston NY on Wed night. Great venue, beautiful evening, killer band. Easy 50 minute drive from Southern Ontario, and the border is still not at all busy… so super easy. Easier than heading into Toronto for a show, which is half the distance. Next up… Boulder CO for 2 Dead and Company shows next Fri - Sat.

Great pix and indeed gig…significantly better than my upstairs view allowed, albeit row A.

Thanks, but I suspect I’m getting a bit too old for the effort needed to get up close. Having said that, I am younger than the band! I miss the atmosphere when sitting down, particularly at big venues. Seeing The Killers tonight so we’ll see.

Just arrived back from our annual family music festival, Mini Øye, Oslo.

Miss Tati, a Portuguese/Angolan band with dancers. Excellent!

…and Marja Peterssen, a well know Sami singer fusing Jazz with Sami, also very good.

Elbow at Hampton Court Palace last night. Great concert in a magical setting.

5 Likes