What was the last concert / gig you attended?

Saw them in 2008 at the Barbican. Great show also!! Too young to have seen Mahavishnu in 1973!

1 Like

We Out Here highlights so far
Muvva Earth - kooky but obvs talented love that triangular electric harp
Ishmael Ensemble - thunderous stuff think they’ve invented heavy trip-hop
Camilla George (with the marvelous Sarah Tandy on keys) sensational set. Can’t wait for the new album
Danny Casimir - superb ensemble playing with Binker Golding and others
Kicked off today with a vibrant DJ set by curator Giles Petersen below

3 Likes

Day 3 We Out Here highlights - late start for us:

Emma Jean Thackray a sultry funky sundowner show from the lady in yellow

The Comet is Coming a blistering sunset set from the dance jazz combo - everyone was bouncing including yours truly.

2 Likes

Just got off the ship from the Keeping the Blues Alive Mediterranean cruise. According to the organizers they have raised over a million dollars since this non-profit started (their figures not mine). Hopefully the pictures will do justice to the guitarist on stage at one time, Keb Mo, Ana Popovic, Samantha Fish, Joe Bonamassa, Walter Trout, and Tommy Emmanuel. My favorite collaboration was Joe Bobamassa, Walter Trout and Toby Lee on The Ballad of John Henry.

7 Likes

The first time I saw Kraftwerk live. Tonight in Germany, in Bonn

8 Likes

Lars Winnerbäck of course…:sunglasses:

Gregory Porter
Lady Blackbird (support)

4 Likes

Just got back home from attending the Reading festival, and I have to say that I was hugely disappointed … … … there wasn’t a book in sight anywhere.

(With apologies to Craig Charles on 6Radio, in the car, this afternoon).

4 Likes

Just back from the End Of The Road festival - absolutely brilliant as usual. The most interesting and eclectic medium sized festival out there. A few random pics to give a flavour:

And the awards:

Meh:

Khruangbin - really looking forward to this but dull,dull,dull
Magnetic Fields - ditto
Pixies - probably an unfair rating as I’m not that keen on them and lots of people enjoyed it. But it’s my post and my awards

Interesting:

The Golden Dregs
Starcrawler - US glam rock
Los Bitchos - tequila infused Mexican(y) guitar/synth music from a South London band
Perfume Genius - really classy pop music
Aldous Harding - great performance and sq but I couldn’t quite connect
Cassandra Jenkins - talented singer-songwriter

Really good:

Durand Jones & The Indications - old school soul music
Tinariwen - outstanding Malian desert blues
Steam Down - fantastic set from the Deptford jazz collective
Naima Bock - ex-Goat Girl and what a talent
Katherine Priddy - what a revelation! Outstanding folk artist
Jake Xerxes Fussell - simply brilliant US folk singer. Cheers to @AndyP for that one

Bronze Medal:

Couldn’t decide between Fleet Foxes and Kurt Vile & The Violators so they both get a medal. Brilliant sets

Silver Medal:

Ryley Walker. Oh my word - the best I have ever seen him. Such a talented songwriter and guitarist with elements of Bert Jansch, Robert Fripp and, by his own admission, Steve Hackett. Top notch rhythm section.

Gold Metal:

Battles. No real expectations but just blown away. Just 2 of them now - drums and keyboards/guitar/loops. They have a math rock reputation but over the course of an hour we went through prog, Steve Hillage-esque pieces to full on rave. Never seen anything like it and it was just exhilarating. Whole tent danced like loons for an hour. John Stanier is just one of the best drummers I have ever seen play live

6 Likes

Luv Durand Jones did not know they were over.

1 Like

Interesting. I saw them in Leeds at the start of the month and thought they were great despite the singer suffering with his voice.

But that was an indoor venue. They are very quiet (complete opposite of The Pixies) and I can imagine that at a festival it doesn’t quite work.

2 Likes

Foy Vance at The Olympia, Dublin, last week. Previously postponed twice. A great celebration of the return of live performance after all the lockdowns.

2 Likes

I posted this on another thread:-

“Saw him (Foy) live on 17th Nov 2007 supporting Sinéad O’Connor at the Dublin Olympia.

Back then he was doing the KT Tungstall thing of playing a riff stomping on a loop pedal and building up an array of backing sounds.

Jonas Reinfold and Craig Blundell? I saw them a few months ago, quite brilliant, I’ve also seen Craig play with Pendragon and Steven Wilson, he’s a very talented drummer,

Ah no. Ryley Walker’s rhythm section are Andrew Scott Young and Ryan Jewell

1 Like

I mis-read your post…. :roll_eyes::flushed:

1 Like

Duran Duran, Castle Howard.

Glorious evening. Tremendous crowd. Uplifting music. Heavenly setting.

Terrible car park: 90 minutes to get off site. As long as the main set!

He’s come a long way since then. Deserves to be much better known IMO.

1 Like

Machine Head

Wembley arena last Saturday

Lyndon

Andy and the chaps of Manchester Orchestra, nice set, worth the hassle

3 Likes