What was the last concert / gig you attended?

Yep really enjoyed the evening. We were a couple of rows in front of you dead central. It was worth the very long wait.

I’m a heathen. Halestorm at Newcastle City Hall last week.

1 Like

That’s a real shame - hope you are feeling better now.
As the mainland European dates were cancelled, it is possible she will play more UK dates when they are rearranged - keep an eye open!

1 Like

Ludovico Einaudi at the Apollo in Hammersmith - first night of the sold out tour.

While not to my normal taste, I saw him many years ago at the Barbican. Even to my untutored ears he is an amazing musician / composer and the performance was quite spell-binding.

A few people were caught out by the early (7.45) start to the first half of the programme and they weren’t helped by the insane queuing system at the Apollo that can, on occasion, almost reach the Thames! Please open the doors earlier in future!!!

1 Like

Last night we attended a charity concert in the Britten Theatre at London’s RCM. It was an evening of mostly short pieces played by a wide variety of performers. Many of the pieces were new to me from composers Valentin Silvestrov, and Myoslav Skoryk. It has encouraged me to explore their works further.

Was at New Model Army at the Apex in Bury st Edmunds last night, nice venue which i have not visited before. Interesting set with lots of songs from their back catalogue which normally dont get a run out.

The Who acoustic for Prince’s Trust on Friday. Emotional, classic Who humour, intimate and even Gary Kemp a few seats away.

3 Likes

Pete wrote this song about Roger and they first played it at the small Kentish Town Forum in 2004. This was a rehearsal performance before they took it on a big tour. We were there, classically queued around the block and then casually walked right to the front centre rail. That crowd was real loyal fans and they went crazy. Completely crushed at the front, but still the best gig I’ve been to. Someone videoed this song on Friday. It’s not a good recording, but at least someone got it. The sound of his voice filled the hall and sent shivers down my spine.

1 Like

wow. Now that’s a concert I would have loved to attend~ That is so cool! :+1:

1 Like

Stone Foundation at an ‘in store’ in Brighton last night

1 Like

I was watching the re-make of the Manchurian Candidate with Denzel Washington and I thought that guy is a dead ringer for Robyn Hitchcock.

Credits roll and lo and behold it was the Hitch.

Well spotted, Robyn was big mates with Jonathan Demme, hence the appearance, he also cast him as the wedding band in “Rachel Getting Married” and of course made a complete “concert” film in “Storefront Hitchcock”.

1 Like

Ah that’s the connection - thanks.

Just looked up how much ‘Walking on Sunshine’ makes. Boy that is eye watering the money that must roll in and Rew was the sole songwriter.

Yup, it’s great for Kimberley and he’s such a nice unassuming bloke, lives for his music and can still be found playing in pubs around Cambridge. You just need to write that one song!

1 Like

Last night we went to see Joan as Police Woman at the union chapel in London. Our usual error, we spent too much time drinking wine and eating dinner beforehand, and arrived 2 mins before start time. Then a frantic search for 4 seats with a decent view. You can probably tell that from the quality of my photo. Great venue though, and certainly in the second half Ms Wasser on great funky form.

3 Likes

What a cool venue!

So Goth. :smiley:

3 Likes

Muti /CSO + Elīna Garanča

Program

Mazzoli
Orpheus Undone [World Premiere, CSO Commission]

Mahler
Rückert-Lieder

Bruckner
Symphony No. 2

The Composer-in-Residence Missy Mazzoli’s Orpheus Undone was surprisingly enjoyable. It was written for unusually large orchestra with many percussive instruments creating rich tonal colours and a large dynamic wraparound sound. After the performance I spotted her and told her I enjoyed her piece very much.

Another Chicago debut was this Mezzo from Latvia. Her voice was warm and husky but heard a slight edge in upper midrange as she went up in keys. I generally prefer male voice for Rucker-Lieder and her performance was not as compelling as Sarah Connolly. Some of Mahler’s songs always get me. They get down really deep in my heart.

Muti absolutely nailed the Bruckner Symphony 2. The orchestra was on their toes at all time in impeccable timing. 1st movement started slightly fluid and fluid but as we went through the score emerged as solid shape as if a sculptor chiseling away a large piece of rock. The pregnant pauses were meaningful and suspenseful. The focus gets sharper and presence gets larger. Revetting progression from a minor key to the glorious C Major finale. My friend was a Bruckner virgin but , to my delight, she absolutely loved it!

2 Likes

Saw her in Aug 2006 at The Spitz in London. How time flies.

Eric Gales at the Brudenell in Leeds. Postponed from 2020 - so set-list mostly from his latest album. Very tight band and music from the heart - as well as his ridiculously gifted playing.

Booked again for York in June :grinning:

1 Like

A bit different, saw “Simply Dylan” in Brighton on Saturday. An incredibly capable band doing thoughtful covers. They are on tour, going to catch them again in London