What was the last concert / gig you attended?

Daniil Trifonov/Fabien Gabel/CSO

**Program**

Liadov
Kikimora

Stravinsky
Petrushka

Rachmaninov
Piano Concerto No. 3

All Russian program at the CSO last Saturday.

I really loved this French conductor, Fabien Gabel whom I have never heard before. He had a light bouncy but very firm hand on the band and he had them on their toes all through the program. It had Toscanini’s laser precision I love. Rachmaninoff program sure bring a lot of young folks. This one was a very different reading from the record I have and listened to earlier this afternoon. They decided to make the piano more of a star and many solo segments without any orchestra. Orchestra was truly a second fiddle to the piano. Trifonov also offered a longer version of Rachmaninoff’s cadenza. I have never heard such a rendition before. It was nice to have some fresh new take. Encore was just one ( so stingy! but he was completely wasted after the almost acrobatic PC3 ) Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring which is one of my favourite Bach! and so nice after the dense Rach program. It felt like a mint after a heavy dinner.

Last but not the least, his Petrushka was one of the best live performance! He nailed the very last Petrushka’s ghost ending almost perfect as Stravinsky’s own. Fast tempi but oh so beautiful colours and textures intact. Not at all heavy at any moment the band was just spot on. Anyways I need to keep my eyes/ ears on this conductor Fabian Gabel in the future.

I must say Trifonov’s PC3 was mighty impressive albeit not as masculine as Horowitz ( my imprint ) yet when he hit the low register keys I felt it. Tremendous power and grace. No missed keys throughout the program. At the end he was sweating bullets. He sort of looked like a mad Rasputin with sragy hair and thick beard.

5 Likes

Well…all I can say is if you’re going to the Hammersmith for The Flaming Lips on Friday… you’re in for a treat.

What a wonderful evening with Wayne and the Lips!

9 Likes

Last night, Hans Zimmer in Frankfurt’s Festhalle, a terrific show.

I love his outfit!~ :heart_eyes: :laughing:

The Roy Orbison Story - Barry Steele and Friends.
I’ve never really been interested in tribute shows but this one has made me think again.
For two and a half hours (less interval) we were treat to all of Roy’s major hits, interspersed with a 20 minute cameo from Jordan Spencer who is a Buddy Holly look and sound alike.
The second half of the show concentrated on Roy’s time with the Travelling Wilburys including later songs written for him by Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty. Throughout the evening there was videos projected on to the stage’s backcloth showing photos, videos and info relating to Roy’s life and career.
The musicians were outstanding, particularly Shane O’Borne on lead guitar and Barry was superb as Roy.
Seats cost £29 each for a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Recommended.

Last night Hammersmith Apollo - Flaming Lips

Epic, just epic

2 Likes

Hammersmith last night was….epic

1 Like

I’d have loved to see them again!
They obviously got another F Yeah London balloon made up, as Wayne threw the one at The Troxy into the audience. People going home clutching an L or whatever.

A great show, agreed!

1 Like

Apparently Roger Waters is playing tonight about a mile from where I am. I love his music, and would like to see live again (last time having been a good many years ago) - but absolutely not at the ticket cost, especially not for a huge venue. Instead this provided great entertainment at lunchtime:

4 Likes

If it’s an outside venue could always find a decent spot and listen. We went to an Elton John show earlier this year and there was almost as many people outside listening.

1 Like

Just came back from a concert in Bamberg with Jonathan Nott conducting Mahler 5 as the main course. And before the break Part and Kurtag with reduced lights.
The Mahler was very enjoyable. Part was also nice, Kurtag was not so my thing……

2 Likes

Jurowski, Helmchen & Shostakovich 8

**Program**

Mozart
Piano Concerto No. 25

Shostakovich
Symphony No. 8

Interesting pairing of elegant Mozart and brutish Shosty’s war symphony.

Shosty’s 8 by Jurowski was absolutely wonderful. He organised it well throughout so kept the score in one piece! Huge dynamics and impact ( as I expected ) but it was handled within the right context at any moment nothing was out of place. This is a photo he’s fiddling with his sleeve because his cuff link flew out and hit one of the audience head. Would have been a nice suvenir. :laughing:

Mozart PC No.25, OTOH, whilst it was nice Helmchen’s touch of keys was too soft for my liking and rather it sounded too homogenous. And the orchestra sounded too heavy and lacking a bounce for a Mozart program. My friend liked it very much but I was left rather cold.

1 Like

Stanley Clarke and young band (BEKA GOCHIASHVILI piano; COLIN COOK guitar; JEREMIAH COLLIER drums & EMILIO MODESTE saxes) at Ronnie Scott’s.

Some superb playing from Stanley (obvs) and crew (tho drummer a bit of a biffer) - watch out for the Georgian piano player. TBH it felt less than the sum of its parts - maybe it was the mainly Return to Forever material.

Saw him with Hiromi and as a duo with Chick Corea both at San Sebastian and preferred those gigs.

Sokolov?

Yes. I will see the same concert in Amsterdam but bought a last minute ticket for Frankfurt. A bit expensive but nice to get used to going out to concerts again after too long in isolation and in my opinion better than spending too much money on HiFi upgrades :wink:

It’s great the way he interprets the great baroque masters. The Mozart pieces were also superb. The first time I heard the adagio in b minor live.

Usual array of encores some of which I did not recognise

Rameau les Sauvages
Chopin no. 15 raindrop
Chopin etude op.10 no. 12
A piece by Henry Purcell?
Siloti prelude in b minor

1 Like

Mammal Hands homecoming gig at Norwich Arts Centre. At their best when they let rip - the echoey folksy stuff leaves me a bit cold. Pretty rapturously received tho - esp the Mums, Dads and WAGs!

That’s nice! I saw him at the Concertgebouw last year. This year I am stuck in the US atm but I did not want to miss Muti’s final year in Chicago. More exciting concerts coming up. He is finishing the season with the Beethoven’s Missa Solemnis.

1 Like

Covid took me down but the boy and his ex made it to this in my absence.

2 Likes

I am certainly motivated again to go to more concerts after a very long time away for one reason and another. Looking forward to Amsterdam. I have never been there before. We are very lucky in Darmstadt with many nice places not too far away with excellent programs.

2 Likes