What was the last concert / gig you attended?

He did write on his social media that he was having particular meniere’s issues that night. It was definitely a gig to be right near the front, as I can’t imagine being far away and feeling involved. I never go to any gig nowadays if I can’t get the first 6 rows and centre.

The CBSO at the Symphony Hall in Birmingham last night. Although Rachmaninoff 2 is perhaps over familiar, it is always stunning to hear it live imho. The Pianist was brilliant. The Brahms was enjoyable. ( not his 3rd Racket).

François Leleux – Conductor
Behzod Abduraimov – Piano

5 Likes

Lame. I go only to the gigs where I can sit right next to performer.

2 Likes

Excellent gig by The Damned last Wednesday at the Liverpool Academy. Great set including songs from the forthcoming new album Darkadelic. The old boys still have it.

Think they played Birmingham Town Hall last night. I saw them in about 79/80. Fantastic energy. Never seen so much Gob flying around. The band were covered in it by the end.

Hilary Hahn Plays Carmen Fantasy

**Program**

Sibelius
Night Ride and Sunrise

Rautavaara/Aho
Deux Sérénades [United States Premiere]

Sarasate
Carmen Fantasy

R. Strauss
Suite from Der Rosenkavalier

I adore Hilary! Loved that lovely flowy dress, too. :heart_eyes:
I just love the tone of her violin and gutsy fiddling. She sure packs a strong punch in that tiny body.

Her playing of Sarasate’s Carmen Fantasy was just brilliant. Pity that the substitute conductor Thomas Ades was not as good as the original Mikko Frank who could not make it due to illness. The orchestra lacked a rhythmic pulse and it was so soooo heavy handed. Sibelius’ tone poem Night Ride and Sunrise was DOA. Rautavaara piece ( it was composed just for Hilary ) was nice enough as a backdrop for Hilary so they did not offend much. Der Rosenkavalier was spotty, inconsistent and over saturated. Out of place brass and steely massed strings were just too much.

Nonetheless I enjoyed Hilary’s playing as always. So far she has not disappointed. What a charisma!

2 Likes

The Good Beast, at Clocktower Records in Bridport. “Wild Psychedelic Ballads” it says here. Who am I to disagree? Great band, and lead singer and solo artist Bea Piper is my new music crush.

Popped into Clocktower Records last week as we had a few days in Devon, great shop and what a great town!

1 Like

I was at the brick lane jazz festival yesterday in London. I think the organisers sold too many tickets, as there were queues of people outside some of the smaller venues who simply couldn’t get in.

Highlight for me was Chelsea Carmichael a great sax player. Also the first time I have ever had to watch or listen to a gig through a nasty plywood bookcase.

Ah there she is…

2 Likes

Have friends who live there, so often nip down for the weekend. Best thing about Bridport is that if there is a space bigger than a cupboard, someone will fill it with live music. Seen so many great bands down there - Arthur Brown, Grandmaster Flash, Imagined Village, Mutter Slater, the list goes on.

By chance dropped in on this gig, Matt Anderson and the big bottle of joy!, and was surprisingly entertained. Big guy with a big sound. Seems to have quite a following. Played many crowd pleasers and singalongs.

1 Like

Ryan Adams at Bristol Hippodrome, lovely venue and really respectful crowd. Played a 3 hour set with a 15 minute interval, ran at of time at the end but played his heart out :heart: with just him playing guitar, harmonica and piano.

No photos allowed, which was a shame as we sat near the front.

1 Like

Andy Sheppard, Rita Marcotulli & Anders Jormin at Stapleford Granary south of Cambridge. Andy temporarily returned from Brexile in Portugal complete with fu-manchu beard. Bit too chamber jazzy for me but three great musicians with Andy’s unmistakable rich breathy tone on tenor and soprano made for a good live music evening. Lovely intimate venue for accoustic jazz.

2 Likes

Kenny Wayne Shepherd in Newcastle. Excellent evening although slightly disappointed that Chris Layton not behind the drums - ill??

1 Like

Went to see my all time fave band last night - Canada’s Voivod at 1865 Club, Southampton, UK. This was a double first for me, first gig in 15yrs (stopped going due to tinnitus) and first gig I’ve worn earplugs. Clearly H&S has changed since the 80s as even without plugs, the volume was nothing like I remember - Motorhead at Leeds Uni 1983 anyone? Sound was very clear, great venue, great performance by the band who mingled with the crowd after signing autographs & chatting. Memorable night all round.

1 Like

Great gig last night at the jazz cafe London. Susana Baca, Peruvian legend and diva, on great form aged 78. An enthusiastic crowd made the occasion, singing along with their favourite songs. One of those nights when you are so happy you were there.

3 Likes

The Counterfeit Beatles Winchester right now.

Grandson’s birthday treat!

Phil

2 Likes

Godspeed You! Black Emperor in Aarhus - Denmark

Great Concert

1 Like

Focus - Gloucester Guildhall

Not quite yet…

In the pub, before The Lips at The Troxy.

Nice pub!

Antici…pation!!!

5 Likes