What was the last concert / gig you attended?

Last night near Genoa: Dado Moroni, Eddie Gomez and Joe La Barbera playing Bill Evans

3 Likes

omg he’s still alive! :astonished:
Was Moroni any good?

Alive and quite lively! :muscle:
Yes, Moroni was good and full of taste.
Cheers

1 Like

It’s the Bamberger Symphoniker, the normal house orchestra of this venue. The normal conductor is Jakob Hrusa, but as any orchestra they also have guest and other type of conductors.

Scott Matthews last night at St George’s Church Ramsgate in Kent.

It’s been a few years since Scott played Ramsgate. What a talent. @seakayaker I see you have been listening to Scott recently.

1 Like

Sparks - Manchester. Glorious.

6 Likes

Muti + CSO Pines of Rome

Program
Mozart
Divertimento in F Major, K. 138

Kraft
Timpani Concerto No. 1

Respighi
Ancient Airs and Dances, Suite I
Pines of Rome

Gladiator finale was majestic ( however the trumpet on the left missed TWO notes! ) but the best part for me was the lovely 3rd movement. He kept the slower tempo and let the melody linger. Ancient Airs and Dances were lovely as well. So expressive throughout. And he pulled out just beautiful mellow massed strings from the band. This showcased how composer’s orchestration skills. Pity that they only did the Suit I. I could have keep listening to the rest. Mozart’s Divertimento also was very good. Amased at knowing this was written when he was only 15! I normally do not like Muti’s Mozart but tonight I throughly enjoyed this short little piece. He kept it light and relatively rhythmic to keep the tune going with enough interest.

I would miss him when he leaves Chicago.

Interestingly Respighi actually premieered the Pines of Rome in Chicago at the Orchestra Hall in 1926.

This would have been an interesting concert with Respighi conducting and playing solo piano of his own concerto!

2 Likes

Not the last concert attended but thought I would share. It was back in July 2012, in a field on a first nation reservation. Didn’t see Foreigner. Don’t think the venue survived the lockdowns. Shame

2 Likes

Skynyrd were always good value, even in their 2nd incarnation.

1 Like

Roger Waters - Birmingham NIA

7 Likes

Me too…amazing visuals and band energy…personally i don’t need a multi-millionaire rock star, who lives in the US, who benefits from the constant PF re-releases to tell me about capitolism, greed and everything else wrong with his simplistic view of the world.

But again …AMAZING show…and another bucket list gig ticked.

6 Likes

DM in Lyon (France) yesterday evening

2 Likes

Opening event Hildener (near Düsseldorf) Jazz Days.
Sebastian Gahler - two moons

Roger Waters, Glasgow Hydro last night. Side 2’s of Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Here Here plus Sheep. What’s not to like. Plus controversial dictator coat.

6 Likes

Vadim Gluzman + Afkham/CSO

Performers:
David Afkham: Conductor
Vadim Gluzman: Violin

Program
Ravel
Menuet antique

Shostakovich
Violin Concerto No. 1

Debussy
La mer

Ravel
La valse

Wow. what an exciting matinee that was! Shosty’s VC1 was one of the best I have heard. Vadim Gluzman drew warm tone even on a high keys there was a body to the notes so it never was shrieky or thread bare. And what a cadenza in the 3rd movement. It lasted almost 10 mins with a laser sharp precision which he had me on the edge of the seat. The orchestra was right on the mark in unison. From a brooding sinister intro to the hopeful finale, Afkham lead the band with a fluid but firm keeping a rhythmic pulse. This set was much more enjoyable than the last time when I have heard this piece at the Orchestra Hall with Leonid Kavakos and Emmanuel Krivine with CSO. They did not have nearly the same degree of tension management where this piece desperately needs to pull it off convincingly.

La Mer and La Valse, maybe the winds were a tad prominent but overall balance and dynamic expressions were excellent. I have never heard this much textures pulled out of La Mer making it a very vivid and saturated reading. Incidentally Afkahm was trained under Haitink and the Maestro took him under his wing. His style is probably more animated and less subtle and sophisticated than Haitink but he was able to pull out some beautiful colours out of the orchestra.

The build up to the finale of La Valse was also tension filled. From a beautiful dreamy waltz scene to this diabolical shattering of the Imperial era. Each timpani hits sounded like a bomb going off leading to a vivid and frightening coda. I prefer this over Gardiner/Bergen Philharmonic set I have heard at Elbphie.

4 Likes

Depeche Mode tonight in Düsseldorf.

Been here since Friday morning and there are thousands of fans everywhere. Weather is amazing too at 25degrees.

6 Likes

Enjoy !!!

I was seeing them for the sixth time, my friends, for the ninth time.

Unfortunately, the sound wasn’t there, but the atmosphere was great.

1 Like

Fantastic concert, i was at the Friday night concert, one of best best concerts i have ever seen. :grinning:

Edward

1 Like

It’s a week ago now but I wanted to say what a pleasure it was to see Peter Gabriel at the top of his game at the open-air concert in Munich last Sunday against the backdrop of the monuments on the Königsplatz.
What a breath of fresh air to go to a gig and be entertained by an evening of new music interspersed with a few classics.
Fantastic!
That an English artist takes the time and effort to present his work to his audience in German… I take my hat off. Not only is he a magnificent musician, he is humble. What a blessing. He takes the time to thank all of his crew and roadies who have been doing the heavy work in the background. Without them he couldn’t perform, and they were the hardest hit during Covid.
And he might as well be the British Ambassador to Germany, I would say most people went away with a new and positive impression of the English (much like the effect in the opposite direction when Germany hosted the world cup).
I remember the last time I saw him. Reading Rock Festival 1979. Also a great gig but he just keeps growing in stature. A real superstar.

6 Likes

I truly envy you. Sadly he’s not coming anywhere close to me on this tour and while I was fully prepared to spend the money to travel and see him my wife’s health says otherwise.