What was the last concert / gig you attended?

The next one on the third day did not attract me so much. It was from Esperanza Spalding who was artist in residence in the festival. Had she had combined music and dance, while interesting, …. I missed something and also had anyhow to move to ensure that I wouldn’t miss the last concert.

The last concert of the festival was for me the Branford Marsalis Quartet. And as I expected they didn’t disappoint and they formed a good closure to another great edition of the festival. I of course missed also some things which I wanted to see but couldn’t see because of conflicting concerts. The Friday and the Sunday have been the best days of the festival…… I am looking forward to be there again in the coming year and hope to visit in many years to come…

3 Likes

Morrissey last night at Liverpool Empire.

Music was excellent and the sound was excellent. Strange collection of weird crowd. Many see him as some sort of God and the ripping shirts, jumping on the stage, hugging was a pathetic sight. The Empire stinks of urine and needs jet-washing, preferably with most of the crowd still in there.

6 Likes

Looks very vintage and wonderful. It’s a pity if not maintained properly.

2 Likes

@kuma The Liverpool Empire is legendary place and yes it was tired to me. It needs cleaning up. There’s something about Liverpool. You can love it, then hate it.

1 Like

Saw these guys last night at Ronnie Scotts, they were fantastic

10 Likes

The Who at London O2 arena - 12 July 2023.
Great sound.

P.S Had a sherpa show us to our seats.

5 Likes

At the Temple of Art And Music, between the Borough and Elephant & Castle, Ese & her Vooduu People!

Good to see @steviebee and a few other old faces there.

Ese & The Vooduu People Setlist Temple of Art & Music (TAM), London, England 2023
Edit this setlist | More Ese & The Vooduu People setlists
9 Likes

That is a lovely footpedal board.

2 Likes

It was a great gig @TheKevster! Lovely to see you again, as always and, wow, Ese!!! Her playing just keeps getting better and better. Shout out too, to the pick-up bassist and also the drummer (Sam? Can’t remember…) He did some really nice triplet-y fills and a funky solo, egad.
Impressive how they really grew into the songs after a few bars. Great to hear the Herbie Hancock track (Ese, grin: “I don’t like jazz…” yeah, sure, lol)

Can’t wait for the new album and EP’s.

The venue is gorgeous, btw. An eclectic mix of old antique-y stuff, orphaned & down at heel pianos, vintage signs, a flower man etc etc…just lovely.

Kind of an action sequence:

And take a bow, venue:

Roll on Holborn 15th August @ Pizza Express.
Be there or a square.

8 Likes

wow. that is a cool venue. :+1:
great shots of Ese, too. Thank you!

2 Likes

As always you catch some great in action shots.

2 Likes

Well, thanks @Kuma and @AndyP…but one day (I always say this but never get it together) I’ll take a proper camera to a gig, rather than my mobile which isn’t too happy with movement.

1 Like

Saw Steve Hogarth live at The Metropolitan Cathedral Crypt in Liverpool this evening. Fantastic show as usual.

4 Likes

Just got back home from The Who at Hove cricket ground. Daltrey and Townshend are both pushing 80 but they’ve still got it.

5 Likes

Peter Erskine Quartet last night at Parchi di Nervi (Genoa). PE (drums), Alan Pasqua (piano), Darek Oles (double bass) and George Garzone (sax).
Great music in a wonderful location

5 Likes

Richard Hawley at Palma Castle.

Got to meet him afterwards too.

7 Likes

Blur at Hammersmith Apollo last night.

It was sold as a one-off play-through of the new album and I was lucky enough to get a ticket.

They also sold a live stream which was advertised as an hour long.

It was packed (not surprisingly) and Blur seemed to be enjoying themselves and relaxed (Alex played a fair few numbers either sat or lying on a leather sofa…) there were a couple of minor mistakes made which Damon stopped and laughed at (singing first note in the wrong key, not all starting at the same time; blamed Dave for this… light heartedly).

After they finished the tenth number Damon promptly announced ‘That’s it there’s no more’ and they left the stage about 40 or so minutes after they’d started. Five or so minutes of crowd noise and they came back on to play five encores (mostly obscure B Sides) and then stop, stand gazing at the crowd accepting applause etc. before playing a final encore of ‘The Universal’.

All in all about an hour and twenty minutes. Well worth the £25 ticket price… (plus booking fee)

2 Likes

Been to scores of gigs at Liverpool Empire over the years including my first ever in early 1970 - Pink Floyd. Great memories.

Looks heavenly!

1 Like