What was the last concert / gig you attended?

Wish I could have been there, @TheKevster.
Bloody weekend working…
Sounds like a great gig!

See you at TAM on Friday.

1 Like

Bonnie Raitt in Vancouver last night. Great concert. Great sound. Killer band. Great seats. (Seeing one of the all-time great Tele-guys made this hack guitarist’s night.)

3 Likes

Was Ricky Fataar on drums?

1 Like

Yes!

2 Likes

Brilliant Ricky is a legend - he was once in a band that were bigger than The Beatles.

3 Likes

Other highlights from the End of the Road festival last weekend (although no one put out a better performance than Wilco)

Arooj Aftab - every few years at EOTR you get a really ‘special’ performance and she provided it. Accompanied only by a bassist and a harpist she headlined the Garden Stage on the Saturday night. Just sublime (and also possessed of a fabulous sense of humour and a potty-mouth!)

PVA - absolutely brilliant. So good that we went to see them a second time at a 1 30 in the morning gig. Full on rave

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - deranged Hawkwind x Can x Thrash x Grateful Dead. Not sure I could listen to at home but astonishing Sunday night headliners

Honourable mentions:

The Last Dinner Party
Greentea Peng
Say She She
Fat Dog ( ones to watch)
Bodega
Wet Leg
CVC ( lovely 70’s rock from Welsh lads)
Moin
Biig Piig (another one to watch)
Sweet Baboo
Joan Shelley
Alogte Oho and His Sounds of Joy ( one of the most joyous things you will ever see)
Caitlin Rose
Lee Fields
Fatoumata Diawara ( brilliant)

Have already bought my tickets for EOTR 2024

2 Likes

I love Wilco - what was it about that set that made it so great?

I thought it was going to be ‘country rock’ but it was just so much more. Always inventive and kept on going off in different musical directions that I didn’t see coming. Nels Cline is just incredible but even better were the moments when the 3 guitarists just riffed off each other - just sublime. I didn’t want it to end

1 Like

Great pics

1 Like

That’s the beauty of Wilco. Multi dimensional sound, you never know when the ‘Alt’ is going to overpower the ‘Alt-Country’, and the musicianship is increasingly first class.

Sam Jones’ documentary of the making of YHF is an absolute must watch if you (1) like music (2) like documentaries or (3) like Wilco

:grinning:

4 Likes

Great photos!
I certainly can feel the energy! :+1:

1 Like

Elvis Costello & Steve Nieve at the National Concert Hall in Dublin last night.
I wondered what was going down when there were a lot of flat or missed notes in his voice at the start. Not surprising given the technical difficulty of the songs. Anyway, nobody seemed to notice or care and he had a huge rapport with the audience. Accompanied by the amazing Steve Nieve it just kept getting better and better right up to the standing ovation.

5 Likes

Siouxsie at The Troxy in the East End.

Nice 20’s feel on arrival with a jazz band in the foyer and top hat n tails girls welcoming you in.
Troxy was thankfully cooler than we’d feared - until later!

Oh, and King Kong silently played while we waited. A nice Jefferson Airplane touch.

My phone was acting up so not many good photos.

Rubbish pic, except I like the double exposure on her face, where a younger Siouxsie seems to be in possession…

She gave an absolutely magic performance of Land’s End btw…

9 Likes

Not so much a gig, but… on Tuesday at the St Bride’s Foundation (next to St Brides church just off Fleet Street), Eye magazine (a graphic design journal) hosted an event featuring Aubrey “Po” Powell of Pink Floyd/Hipgnosis fame. It was a great event - Po is a great (and very amusing) raconteur and a nice bloke - he signed a few of my books and took the time to chat to the assembled graphics geeks before and afterwards.

3 Likes

I thought that Spinal Tap were the only group bigger than The Beatles! Have I been wrong all these years?

British group JUNGLE are currently on tour in the States. I saw them in LA last night.

Really enjoyed seeing them live for the first time - Very engaging and energizing show.
I look forward to seeing them live again.

2 Likes

Another Friday, another Ese gig…ho hum…

NAAAH! Just messing!

The great Ese and The Vooduu People at the Temple of Art & Music (TAM) at Elephant and Castle.

Another stormer with the quartet (this time). Theo (sp?) joined the People again, only on guitar this time playing off of Ese’s rhythm and lead, bringing some lovely accents and superb solos which complemented Ese’s runs and solos perfectly…no twin Wishbone guitar stuff here with both guitars playing the same parts…beautiful and powerful complementary playing.

Ably backed up by Kissanga’s drums ( and another
dynamic polyrhythmic solo) and Indigo’s funkrock-solid bass. Strength to strength, power to power. Excelsior!

Shout out to The TAM Flower Man:

And a shout out to @TheKevster - lovely to see you, as always!

Next Friday, next gig.
I. Cannot. Wait.

VOODUU YA!

5 Likes

Meshell Ndegeocello at Ronnie Scott’s. Been to many gigs over many years, but this was right up there with the absolute best. Photos are not allowed while the artists are playing, but one snap, not great, but enough to jog the memory of a great night.

The band were all great, and it included a Californian gent named Jebin Bruni, who did an excellent job on a variety of very modern and very antique looking electronics and keyboards. Apparently he used the be in Public Image Limited.

4 Likes

As per @steviebee above – Ese & The Vooduu People at the Temple of Art & Music between Borough and Elephant & Castle - a great venue that may have to close next year (in order to make way for more “luxury flats” for overseas Chinese and Malaysian investors, no doubt). It was very hot so the audience was a bit quiet at first but Ese Okorodudu (guitar and vocals), Kissangwa Mbouta (drums, vocals), Teo Verdossi (guitar) and Indigo Pearce (bass) soon got 'em going. A great two-set show, with “Vooduu Chameleon” my personal highlight.

Ese & The Vooduu People Setlist Temple of Art & Music (TAM), London, England 2023
Edit this setlist | More Ese & The Vooduu People setlists

4 Likes

Very nice photos @TheKevster - love them in B&W!

See you next week.

Sad/bad news about TAM. It’s a wonderful venue.

2 Likes