What was the last concert / gig you attended?

Picked this up as we were leaving the Opera House last night.
We were sad they didn’t print commemorative programs🫤

2 Likes

Thanks! I do not recognise any of the names. :thinking:
I noticed some of the European concert houses charge for the program. I normally skip it. CSO program is probably the best I have seen for free!

1 Like

We haven’t been to Covent Garden in quite some time, but I’m sure that the program came with the price of the ticket last time we were there🤔
Both Vienna last Christmas and Barcelona this year, didn’t have a program available at all🤷🏻‍♂️

I noticed at the Musikverein Wien, they were charging for one and it looked pretty shabby compared to the CSO one. ( this one is better than from the Carnegie )
But all forgiven cuz, thier World-class hall acoustics, ambiance and Top-notch performance by Thielmann’s Bruckner 9. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Giles Robson at local pub tonight.
Amazing blues harmonica playing. Great guitarist too - Olly Rybarczuk.

2 Likes

Fun Lovin’ Criminals last night at the O2 Academy, Liverpool. Huey Morgan no longer with them but a great gig nonetheless. Excellent support too from Short Sharp Scratch.

1 Like

Bychkov Conducts Brahms

Program

Dvořák
Carnival Overture

Saint-Saëns
Violin Concerto No. 3

Brahms
Symphony No. 4

Performers

Conductor: Semyon Bychkov
Violin: Benjamin Beilman

Renaud Capuçon has withdrawn from this week’s concerts due to health-related reasons. So this young American fiddler ( well actually he’s 34 ) was standing in. I have never heard of his name. ( Benjamin Bellman ) But he pulled off a nice performance. ( Saint-Saëns VC No.3 ) Well, he was cute, :smiley: and I loved his warm earthy tone of violin. Not as note perfect but I did enjoy his overall brash commanding style.

The concert started off with a cheery Dvorak’s Carnival Overture. A lot of actions packed in 8 min! But the real surprise of the night was his Brahms 4.

Conducting from memory, it was the best Brahms 4 I have heard live to date. Last time when I had the 4th at the Concert Hall was with Hannu Lintu/CSO and before that with Muti/CSO. Bychkov’s 4th was well organized as others but a huge tidal wave of sound filled with intricate textures and rich colors extracted from the score Producing much more intimate feel. Small details were never omitted. Various instruments come in just in the right time at the right amplitude, never sounding out of place. Bychkov’s tension management were executed with a laser precision by the CSO musicians. They were absolutely on fire last night!

Beilman backstage with the Associate Concert Master Stephanie Jeong

4 Likes

On a less ‘cultured’ plain… :slight_smile:

Ludovico Einaudi last night in Milano, Teatro Dal Verme:

For a live rendition of In A Time Lapse. A group of eight musicians, all sort of instruments from music box to live electronics and percussion. Huge success.
He’s an old friend and a very nice person. We met after the show at an exquisite buffet where good wine was served along with all sort of delicatessen:

The concert could have lasted a little shorter :wink: but it was a nice evening, I don’t go out much.

9 Likes

Sounds like a great evening Maximus.

1 Like

It was. Although I am not a fan of concerts - I’m a tiny Glenn Gould I believe…:slight_smile: - this was fine. L. is not a virtuoso, and he knows that, but a fine, refined and attentive pianist with a sensitive touch and a taste for extreme nuances. And after so many years, so many gigs and so much money earned, he’s still the spontaneous chap with whom I shared some good times about 50 years ago.

6 Likes

It’s a lovely story, how you have a connection from such an old friendship - really inspiring and nice to hear after all you have had to deal with. All the best.

1 Like

It was him who addressed me to the urologist who took care of my problem. He called from the most faraway places on Earth to have news. Indeed, independent of what anyone is free to think of his music, he’s a really good friend and an extremely good person.

3 Likes

Deaf school 50th anniversary tour in Liverpool last Saturday night. One if those bands with a very dedicated fan base, was a bit like going to a big party even if the crowd was getting on a bit

3 Likes

Not exactly a concert, more a performance …

Geddy Lee (from Rush) reading extracts from his book, ‘My Effin’ Life’, at Portsmouth Guildhall. He is a very funny guy and it was a great evening. The Q and A from the audience was interesting as it gave him chance to expand on things that were cut from an original very long manuscript.

The photo shows the format. Each night featured a different guest who he bounced off - previous nights included Jack Black and Nicky Wire. We wondered who would turn up at windy Portsmouth - one for @QuickSticks - look closely at the photo.

When the ‘blond guy’ walked on at the start, the place exploded …

For those not obsessed, the guy on the right is Alex Lifeson, guitarist from Rush. He and Geddy grew up together and their humour is based on a real affection. It made for a very special night as they swapped stories. Really pleased to have been there.

8 Likes

Stating the obvious :wink:but who is the person on the left - from the photo could pass for Lucinda Williams but could be a bloke and what would Lucinda Williams be doing in Portsmouth.

1 Like

Jealous beyond words!!:flushed:
What a wonderful surprise, you must have had a fabulous evening.

2 Likes

Yes, me too.

1 Like

I’m guessing from the haircut and v skinny jeans that he is an ageing muso

The guy on the left had obviously known the band for some time. I think he is Phil Wilding, a journalist for Classic Rock etc.

I was stoked enough to be seeing Geddy but when Alex walked out, I’m afraid Snow Dog and I lost it!

3 Likes

Yes that must have been awesome.

1 Like