What was the last concert / gig you attended?

We did not rotate in my box, but some other boxes did. It’s a nice tradition.

I actually loath that tradition. One of the reason I do not do box there.

Gruff Rhys last night at the rather lovely Kings Place in Kings Cross. Brilliant concert mostly playing tracks from his new album ‘Sadness sets me free’.
Excellent support slot from Rozi Plain

5 Likes

Had a nice concert this evening with well known pieces. It’s interesting to see also the difference between the pictures on the promotion material and the real live experience seeing the artists….

Nikolaj Szeps-Znaider dirigiert Brahms und Schumann

Nikolaj Szeps-Znaider Dirigent
Saleem Ashkar Klavier

Johannes Brahms Konzert für Klavier und Orchester Nr. 1 d-Moll op. 15
Johann Sebastian Bach Fuga (2. Ricercata) a 6 voci aus dem »Musikalischen Opfer» BWV 1079, für Orchester gesetzt von Anton Webern
Robert Schumann Symphonie Nr. 2 C-Dur op. 61

4 Likes

Rick Wakeman at Trading Boundaries in East Sussex
Great music and some fun stories

11 Likes

Hi Kuma, I did not attend this concert, but went to a couple of others during this year’s edition of the String Quartet Biennale Amsterdam (including the opening night with the Danish Quartet which was very good indeed). I would think that what you heard is just they way they played it, because to my ears, the acoustics in the main hall of Muziekgebouw are very good indeed. It’s very revealing, you literally hear everything.

hI Daan,
That’s good to know regarding their hall acoustics.
I’ve heard the Danish Quartet back in Chicago at the Mandel Hall UOC a few years ago and indeed they were excellent. I enjoyed their performance AND the superb acoustics of the venue.

1 Like

Róisín Murphy Bristol Beacon 11 / 2 / 2024

Fabulous show last night by RM at the rebuilt theatre, my daughter and I thought it was outstanding. SophieC is a Theatre Director and was very inspired by the music / visuals and we both agreed the sound quality was excellent. The extended alternative versions of the songs Sing it Back and Forever More in particular were superb, but then again in fact, it all was.

7 Likes

I’m off to see her on Saturday at Ally Pally so really looking forward to it now

1 Like

I just attended the Concert of Korean Singer Youn Sun Nah at Laeiszhalle (Kleiner Saal) in Hamburg.

Fascinating what this woman does with her powerful and virtuous voice. Just accompanied by Bojan Z, a fantastic piano player who also played on Fender Rhodes (or on both). Intimate setup with an astonishing performance. What a great concert.

4 Likes

La Traviata

Musical direction : Andrea Battistoni
Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra

Stage direction :Tatjana Gürbaca
Set design :Henrik Ahr

Violetta Valéry :Adela Zaharia
Alfredo Germont:Liparit Avetisyan
Giorgio Germont :George Petean

Familiar tunes and it’s one of my favourite story line, this modern adaptation production was a bit of disappointment.
First off , this minimalistic set design. I mean… what can you do with a small platform in the middle of stage and a chair?
Also the overall direction of choreography I found distracting and trite rather than adding and enhancing the soloists.

Zaharia was a good call on casting and she fits right into the frail TB plagued Violetta. Her voice was delicate yet plenty expressive never sounded stressed.
Where I had the most issue was Alfredo played by American tenor Liparit Avetisyan. He looked too old and too short not particularly a handsome dashing Alfredo I was used to making him looking too similar to his father played by George Petean.

For this program I would have preferred more traditional set design and stage direction over all.

I do enjoy the live opera. Nothing like it, tho. But no powerful takeaway on this one.

4 Likes

Pink Floyd in church (well, local but excellent tribute band):

In keeping with the venue they even produced a “service” card:

3 Likes

Sweden, Borås, Iguana Party… So damn good!:+1:

3 Likes

Roisin Murphy at Ally Pally. One of the finest gigs I have ever been to. The quality of the lighting, staging, projection, musicianship and choreography was astonishing. But it was Roisin Murphy who absolutely made it - she gave it her absolute all in an utterly committed performance. As my brother said ‘She is a force of f*cking nature’.
Ally Pally was turned into a nightclub with 10000 punters and the atmosphere was incredible.
Great support from Crazy P Sound System (used to be known as Crazy Peaness but didn’t get much radio play for obvious reasons :rofl:).
Roisin is supporting Grace Jones at Crystal Palace Park in the summer. It’s about 200m from where I live so defo getting tix

6 Likes

Love Carzy P! It’s great that they are still around!

1 Like

Slowdive yesterday… pleasant enough but prefer something more visceral live.

1 Like

Tyler Childers-Manchester Apollo

For those who like country/americana I can’t recommend this guy enough.

3 Likes

Last night we saw L’Rain at Milton Court in the Barbican Centre. Really impressive musicians and quite difficult to define in terms of a musical genre. Shades of Radiohead, The Necks and Talking Heads, but very original at the same time. Definitely recommended if you get the chance.

2 Likes

Last night, Birmingham Symphony Hall. CBSO with Yazuki Yamada (Chief Conductor), he is a great character and the Orchestra appear to really enjoy playing with him. Sadly the Orchestra this week received a kick in the goolies.

Beethoven’s Violin Concerto with the amazing 21 year old Maria Duenas as soloist.

Elgar’s Enigma Variations.

5 Likes

Saw yesterday Hilary Hahn and Gianandrea Noseda with Berg Lyric Pieces, Korngold Violin Concerto and Beethoven 3rd symphony. Very well played by Hilary, and a Decent performance of Beethoven.

As interesting surprise was two pieces from a young composer Carlos Simon, who was also attending. A solo violin pieces and an orchestral piece, liked what I heard….

8 Likes