What was the last concert / gig you attended?

I keep missing his recital. Hope to catch him this year.

2 Likes

Jean-Guihen Queyras + Maxim Emelyanychev/RCO

Program

**Sergej Prokofjev Symphony No. 1:** ‘Classical’

Robert Schumann: Cello Concerto
Joseph Haydn: Symphony No. 103, ‘Drum Roll’’

The concert started off with a lively Prokofiev Symphony. I was not aware of this conductor but he really had a good rhythmic pulse on the score and I enjoyed it very much.

The last time I have heard this Schumann’s piece was my Pablo Casals record from the 50s so I did not have much recollection.
Unfortunately tho, the sound of cello was somewhat to defused mainly because we were sitting in the balcony ( Stravinsky ) so I could hear the great clarity and impact on the orchestra but Queyras’s cello was facing towards the main floor. So I could not hear his intimate fingerwork much in the performance.

The last piece of the evening was Hydn’s Drum Roll. Emelyanchev kept the fast tempi throughout tho horns and woodwinds were a bit off balance. The start of the score I thought was a tympani player. He was tight fast and delivering notes right on the money. Not bombastic still nimble I really enjoyed his performance.

I did not realise the conductor Emelyanchev recorded with Linn Label. I need to check out some of his recordings. :+1:

3 Likes

Nelson Bragg and Scott Bennett…members of Brian Wilsons band at a Beach Boys Britain fan event Lutterworth UK 20th April. Great day, lots of music and singing.
IMG_3417

1 Like

Justin and the chaps of New Model Army… no cocktails to finish off the evening as was driving.

2 Likes

North Netherlands Orchestra plays Schubert Symphony 9

Program:

Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 27

Schubert: Symphony No. 9

Piano: Peter Rösel
Conductor: Hartmut Haenchen

Haenchen at 81 and Rosel at 79. I always enjoy Schubert 9 and I thought this orchestra did pretty good~ The tempi in the 1st and the final movement were a tad slower than what I used to ( I love Toscanini’s blazing fast 9th!) but the inner movements were done with sensitive and lyrical. This is a very capable orchestra!
For Mozart Piano, Rosel’s fingering was much too much vague missing the sharp attack of some notes feeling like I only got the note decays without the initial key stroke. There were also several mis playing. This is a difficult piece and there are so many others that done better than this set.

2 Likes

Waiting for Kandace, first row.

6 Likes

Gothenburg tonight… Bryan Adam doesn’t get better than this, a great performance :star::star::star::star::star:

2 Likes

I bet he gets really upset when that B disappears.

1 Like

Yesterday 26th April at the Blue Note Milano we had Kandace Springs in concert, her current ‘Run Your Race’ tour, with the all female band of Caylen Bryant (bass) and Camille Gainer (drums).

We were lucky to take first row, we could touch the music, a fantastic experience. ‘Killing Me Softly’ and ‘The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face’ a very nice performance of two classical songs, I tremendously enjoyed it.

Kandace plays the piano beautifully and with incredible speed, she demonstrated her talent and I was most impressed. The high of the night.

We even bought the CD, that I had been unable to source elsewhere, and most importantly I got the signature of the three ladies on it.

Memorable concert, looking forward to see Kandace growing and doing many beautiful things.

9 Likes

Huh?

Huh huh

Ryan Adams.

Understood what you meant, but B is there and probably won’t fall off…:sweat_smile:

Beth Orton at the Sydney Recital Hall last night. Great show but I’m over the encore. Years ago an encore was an unrehearsed few numbers to show their appreciation, nowadays it’s all planned and seems a little hollow.

9 Likes

You probably shouldn’t ask for too much Pete, spontaneity belongs to youth and is usually replaced by professionalism instead :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah I get that but it seem a little too contrived

1 Like

Yes, false spontaneity rarely works.

You are lucky you got an encore. I saw her in a church in Kent a while back. Great acoustics but she had a cold and refused to sing Dolphins. Moaned about how cold it was - the heating had broken so she had a point.

Eventually she threw a hissy fit and walked off. Her husband was supporting her on guitar and fiddle. Is that him next to her in your group photo? He is Sam Amidon and worth checking out his early albums.

One of my favourite things at a concert is when the artist announces that there will be no encores. I can’t stand the whole encore process and just love it when the artist builds the show around the songs they want to play rather than the whole pretence of not playing some songs and us having to cheer them back on

4 Likes

That’s him, I enjoyed it but I wouldn’t say it was the best gig I’ve seen this year.

Thought the set was a little light and she wasn’t that warm and cuddly. :grin:

1 Like

Oh no don’t you just love it when the crowd goes mad and the band love it - they come back with verve and play their hearts out.

The shouts and stamping of feet More, More More, More…

Some of the best concert moments for me have been the encores.

And that moment it’s time to go home when the house lights come and you think wow what a show.

1 Like